SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was after some help with a 3 cars that I was given by a friend to restore for him.

All 3 are Atlas Brabham's with the same wheels fitted, solid axles with no thread.

I've looked all over the net for pictures of the original Atlas Brabham's which all seem to have different wheels to these pictued.

These cars were purchased by my friend over a few years from different people.

Did they come with these wheels or is it just a coincidence that all 3 have the same wheels?

They seem to have a 'Collet' type fitting style, and I couldn't tell you if they are fitted correctly or back to front.

Just thought that those more knowledgeable may be able to help.

cheers

Matt

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I have a 1:24 Atlas (Marusan) F1 car (yours are 1:32) fitted with such wheels. All my 1:32 Atlas have threaded wheels secured with nuts; you can maybe find a picture if you search the Forum. Someone like Phil Smith 'Scaleslotcars' could give you a more definitive answer I expect.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I was after some help with a 3 cars that I was given by a friend to restore for him.

All 3 are Atlas Brabham's with the same wheels fitted, solid axles with no thread.

I've looked all over the net for pictures of the original Atlas Brabham's which all seem to have different wheels to these pictued.

These cars were purchased by my friend over a few years from different people.

Did they come with these wheels or is it just a coincidence that all 3 have the same wheels?

They seem to have a 'Collet' type fitting style, and I couldn't tell you if they are fitted correctly or back to front.

Just thought that those more knowledgeable may be able to help.

cheers

Matt
posilock wheels

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies.

I think I have worked out the difference between the 2 chassis thanks to a forum member.

Here's a better photo of the chassis which is fitted to the 3 Brabham's.

And here's a photo of the chassis which was on an Atlas Ferrari I restored some time ago.

So there's a couple of differences, the brass plate which is fitted to the rear axle, and the axles themselves, solid on the top pic, threaded on the bottom.

I take it these cars came with chassis's from Atlas and Marusan?

I'm not sure but I'm willing to learn either way.

cheers

Matt

·
Slot King
2,646 Posts
I have an Atlas Ferrari with the Posilock wheels.
I don't think you should attach much significance to the differences, my guess is that when it came to produce a new batch they just grab whatever was at hand/easier to make/purchase and went for it.

Joel

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I don't believe such wheel attachments came with the American Atlas lineup. However their Japanese cousins, Marusan, may have well had such in their kits. I cannot remember if Marusan released the Brabham. Another possibility is the previous owner trying his own "hop-up".
Your 2nd chassis there with the rear brass bracket could not have come from the F1 Ferrari: that bracket was for mounting the chassis in their sportscar line (Porsche and Ford GT).

·
Registered
709 Posts
These are the rims and spinners that came with the Marusan version of both the Brabham and the Ferrari. Non threated axles, but I can't check the diameter with an example I have right now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stuckinthe60's, yes you are correct, I have posted the wrong photo, I'll fix it later. Thanks for letting me know what that chassis is for.

Joel, yes the chassis do have 3mm axles (3.18mm), thanks.

Houses- on my digital calipers they measure around 3.18mm.

All of the bodies have Atlas Brabham stamped inside the bodies.

Am I correct in saying that they are Atlas Bodies with Marasan chassis's?

Thanks all again for your input.

Matt

·
Slot King
2,646 Posts
3.18 is 1/8th in English/American money, as far as I know everything released by Japanese makers for their own market had true 3mm axle, I expect Marusan did the same. Now, if I could find my Marusan Ferrari, we would know for sure, it may take a while.

Joel.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mattcrackers, to me these are just Marusan cars. As far as I know, Marusan made the whole cars for Atlas, and also to sell them under their own brand. Just Atlas used the more usual threated 1/8 rims an axles, no other differences. In particular they used the same bodies, so the bodies used by Marusan could very well read Atlas on them. Not sure about, anyway, and have none at hand to check. Here are pictures of a Marusan car, hope they help

Brabh01a

Brabh01b

Brabh01c

Brabh01d

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks very much for the pictures Houses.
I was wondering what type of tyres were fitted.
Yours actually looks quite good compared to the tyres which were originally fitted to the3/4 I have here.
Thanks

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Houses,
the Marusan and Atlas cars are unmarked inside their bodies. And yes, other than for wheels (and of course, wheel inserts), tires and guides, they are identical. This is an Atlas issue I kept, signed by the Guv' himself. If someone here is hurting for original decals for the little Brabham, I can help, PM me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts