SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won these on ebay ages ago and had them delivered to my mother's house in Wales and picked them up last week when I was over there. They are hand carved, and 1/32 scale, and use SMEC wheels and steering wheels. Unfortunately the D-Type reacted with the plastic it was wrapped in, so I have to clean it up carefully.
Not slots though, but nice...

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Wow Tom,

thanks for sharing with us !!.

One can just feel the love and effort poured into them, the "C" Type in particular, all those years ago.

Absolutely Wonderful.

vbr Chris A.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and compliments folks.
Well Don I certainly won't be cutting these up! On the C-Type I'll do almost nothing. On the D-Type I do want to do something about that patchy shiny plastic stuff, although I don't know what yet. I would like to do something about the wheel inserts, they just don't look right, and also have some kind of representation of headlights, although I'll try to keep it tasteful and in keeping with the rest of it of course. I do have a set of nice cast whitemetal Dunlop steel wheels that may do the trick come to think of it, I'll have to dig them out and have a look.
All the best,
Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
hi, Tom
Wow...wonderful find! I'm sure we each have our own ideas about what should be done with these babies. And it's your call, obviously. For me, they are such a clear statement of the originator's intent, I would be hard-pressed to do anything but install them in a clear case and enjoy them for years to come. Whatever path you choose, hope you enjoy them...lovely cars!

John

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John,
Yes I thought about it some more and I'll be leaving them alone. I found the wheels and they looked too good, if you know what I mean. I also had a go at taking some of the plastic goop off the underside and it didn't really work so I'll just be putting them in a display case.
Cheers.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Tom
Having actually viewed the cars while oyu were over last week I can defiantely confirm what nice models they are
the c type you are right to leave alone ,but the D type it seems a shame to have those bright glossy patches onthe paintwork .
dependant on how thick the paint is ,would a gentle rub with some very fine emery get it back to the original paint ,if the worse came to the worst you could always re paint it entirely in a simailar shade of green

Cheers tony

Ps did you manage to hang on to your rail cars after the visit to newport last week ?

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Tony,
O.k. I'll try having another go at the D-Type. I don't want to repaint it though, maybe if I can rub down the affected bits and then give an overall coat of semi-gloss clear coat. I'll experiment on the base first. I'm going to leave the headlights and the wheels though.
I tried phoning Jeff but there was no answer and he doesn't seem to have an answering machine. I also drove by his house but he wasn't there, well at least is car wasn't. Never mind, I'll bring them over again next time for him to see.
It was good to see you again, the food in that pub is really great. I've become addicted to sticky toffee pudding now.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I agree, but it's a difficult one. I would be prepared to leave the D-type well alone but the plastic residue stuff is a recent thing that developed while it was sitting wrapped up in a box at my mothers house. I'll give it a tentative go on the underneath, if it doesn't work I'll leave it.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,845 Posts
Great find and beautiful work - do you have any of the history of them?

Restoration / conservation of old things is an art form. Do you know anyone at a museum that works in that field. Perhaps your local museum could offer some advice. It is hard to know what to do with them - If they had sentimental value - as in your granddad did them, then I would definitely leave them, however there is the opportunity for you to restore them and thus create the sentimentality for future generations - "my granddad bought them off eBay and he carefully restored them"

It depends then on whether you want something that looks like an old car or something that looks like a new car - I would probably do up the D Type because those bubbles do spoil it a little.

cheers
DM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts