SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I am thinking of having an international concours and race meeting along the lines of the Bordeaux Vintage meeting on the weeknd of the next Orpington Slotcar show on the weekend of the 18th/19th December.

It would be run to 'Turin' rules a rough copy of which can be found here

Turin rules

For the first event I would probably make it an open event on the class of cars, would any one be interested in competing?
One drawback would be that to cover the cost of the venue etc an entrance fee of at least £20 would be nesseccary.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hi Phil
You should get 2 to 3 people from NLondon interested in such a meeting and probably some from the Luton club as well.
What track are you intending to use for the 1/24 racing?
Good show on Sunday, well done.
[oneofwos]

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I am intending to use Carrera for both scales.
This meeting is not intended for ultra fast cars but for stock vintage stuff made before '69
No lexan, no scratchbuilt, scale size wheels and tyres, etc. although, of course, they will be allowed to compete, they will be heavily penalised.
I even intend to have an award for the best Scalextric car in 1/32 !

A copy of the 'working rules' can be found here,

rules

please, these are in no way the finished version, just something I am working on. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

The idea of the meeting will be to build and race slot cars from the golden age of real racing and slot racing, before it all went wrong, i.e. about pre'69 !

I am trying to structure the rules so that the modeller and racer can all compete on a level playing field as possible and also to give those who can do neither a chance of some success as well.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hi Phil
The rules seem fair enough and quite simple for everyone to follow. I know there not finalised yet but the bit regarding the rear tyres being Ortman only, does this meen only Ortman aftermarket tyres to replace the originals?
Think i might enjoy having a go at something like this.
Cheers
[oneofwos]

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
yea, I think we will say ortmann only on the driven wheels, they are easy to get and you can get a tyre for just about any wheel and they are not expensive.

R/S tyres are probably providing the track, so they will be there with plenty of tyres should anyone need them on the day.

Good news for the event is that the small hall I wanted is available for the whole weekend, just waiting for them to come back to me on a price.
One problem is that we will have to hire the hall from 8am on Saturday till midnight and 8 am to 6pm on Sunday afternoon, a total hire of 26 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Great, let's have a scale 24 hour race then!
Only joking but maybe one day such an event based on a 50's or 60's LeMan race could be quite something, loads of expensive "crash and burn"!
[oneofwos]

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already amended the rules for scratchbuilt bodies, but yes no scratchbuilt chassis.

rules

Big problem at the moment is the cost of the hall, it may be financially impossible to go ahead.
Looking for ways to cover all the finances and keep the entrance fee down to below £20

Sorry Joel, no duck but am planning to have English traditional food i.e. chicken curry and pasta
After all what is duck, but chicken with WD40

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hello Joel,

I was going to say that we have traditional duck in Bordeaux,
good swabian food at Slotmania in Stuttgart, and a hodge-podge
of stuff at my race in America. So what is the traditional food for
a race in England? It MUST be Indian or Chinese take-away!
As usual, Phil jumps in and ruins my joke!

Oh well... See you there.

Brad

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided not to go ahead with the race meeting,
for a couple of reasons,
The hall is very expensive to hire and I would have needed to have at least 30 competitors at £20 a time just to break even and that was including ploughing all the profit from the swapmeet into the race meeing.
Also I did not get much feedback from here on the forum, maybe I should have made it a proxy meeting, you all seem up for that

I shalll be looking for a more reasonable venue and looking to hold it in spring 2005, will post here as soon as I find somewhere suitable.

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Hi Phil,

Sorry you've decided to abandon the meeting.

I had considered entering but the ban on scratchbuilding stopped me.

I wonder how many people have suitable cars to race? Allowing scratchbuilds in the style of the period might have increased interest. Also running the meeting on an existing club track could cut costs.

John

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I don't think you have read the rules carefully, as there was not a ban on scratch bulit cars at all, just a 15 point penalty at concours stage, indeed scratchbuilt bodies , balsa fibreglass etc would have carried no penalty at all.

The idea of this meeting would be to build and run vintage slot cars from the sixties. With an empasis on building nice scale models.

By there nature,lexan bodies and scratchbuilt chassis would have an advantage in the racing and cars,such as pre'39, would have a disadvantage, so the penalty and bonus points would hopefully create a level playing field.

here is the latest draught of the rules

rules

1 - 13 of 13 Posts