SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage slot car that my father built back in the 60s. I asked him if he remembered what the make and model was but he said all he could remember is that he painted it gold first then candy apple red on top.. I’d really like to restore it and gift it back to him but I’m not sure where to find tires. I thought it may be a Cox but through my research, I’m unable to find this exact one. Any help would be much appreciated…
Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle Gas

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Toy

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Landscape Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Vehicle

Automotive lighting Toy Wood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Toy

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Car

·
Jim Moyes
5,181 Posts
I'll shift this into Collectors and Vintage for you, so the experts can give you their opinion.

I think you may be right about it being a Cox, I'll guess a 1/24 Chaparral of some sort.

Reactions: Scroggdawg

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
It looks mostly in good condition, mechanically speaking... you have the original Chaparral wheels on the front, but on the back are Cox Cheetah wheels, which are actually much rarer than the Chaparral types.

The body is another question; fortunately, this is a popular model and there are repro parts available: try contacting Brad Blohm, either on this forum or on Facebook: he makes repro parts, including the glass, and could well have the wheels you need.

I also just learned about a site called The Parts Box that has other repro parts for this car in case Brad is out of stock.

A quick Google search will show you what the car should look like. Probably lots of pics here too.

That's a nice gift for your father!

Don

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
strip the whole thing and start over. Looks like wheels are original, and he didn't carve out the wheel wells, . .good. Minimally you need the glass: check Electricdreams.com for a repro, as well as repro tires, probably by Ortmann's. This is a fairly rare piece and worth the work!

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Not actually that rare, especially in this condition, but still a very desireable piece and really a beautiful model!

Ortmann makes repro tires, also through Electric Dreams, as well as Paul Gage in Canada and a few others. If it's just for display, you could probably find the Cox originals, Firestone I think, on ebay or elsewhere.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts