SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here`s a lovely old Ferrari Dino by VIP. Made in 1968 & very few remain now.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
A very nice car Kev. These are hard to find . I have a yellow one but your color i think is nicer. Is the chassis the brass one ? Thanks,Bernard

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
Chrome wheel hubs are normal Kev
VIP did not do 'Race Tuned' their hotted up cars were called 'Club Special' and the motors were the reverse colours, black is normal and silver the Club Special.

The brass chassis car is almost unobtainable very few have survived.

Go here to read all about them and the rest of VIP on Malcolm Parker's VIP history site.

Here is a picture of Malcolm's Dinos from his own collection (which I bought about ten years ago)

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice Phil.. was there any reason why the blue car has no hubs?/
Cheers
Kev.

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Nice Kev - looks better in the photo than when I had one in my hands! (finally traded it for something else...). But I later picked up a VIP Carrera 6, which I like a lot - go figure...

Seems like the plastic on these Dinos was different/cheaper than the usual VIP material; anybody know more about that?

Don

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Here's the Porsche Carrera:

Phil, I've got one of the VIP brass chassis, but no body! Which ones did it come with?

Don

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
Hubs are just missing Kev.
The brass chassis came with the Porsche and the Dino, these two cars were designed to take this chassis although VIP also sold it with the inline.
It has mounting posts front and rear, if you look at your picture you can see the rear mount, but VIP cut off the front mount when the bodies were fitted with the normal inline chassis.
So you can tell a genuine brass chassis body as it has the two mounting posts intact.

I have a yellow Porsche in stock but it is missing the extremely rare VIP can motor, this one has a 13uo fitted.
You can see the two mounting posts in this picture showing that this is a genuine brass chassis car, albeit not in tip top condition!
The brass chassis is quite easy to find on it's own as it was sold as an aftermarket part and seemed to sell in quite large numbers.

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
While I was finding Malcolm's pictures I came across a couple of others that may be of interest.

VIP's thingie, the Viper, the cars are very rare especially the gold plated ones, but Malcolm seems to have had two of them!

The unreleased stock car gift box.
The blue and yellow car is unique and the box is a hand painted mock up.

I have a few more of these pictures of Malcolm's collection in it's original setting i.e. before he sold it, if anyone is interested and it's ok with Kev I can post some more

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
Ok here are the rest of the pictures I have of Malcolm's collection, these were the ones he sent me to show what was there before I bought it from him, but there was very much more than shown here.
Sorry about the picture quality but these were taken over ten years ago.

VIP also made some other interesting stuff such as larger scale plastic cars, cranes and boats.

I am worried that one day Malcolm's VIP history website might one day disappear from the internet and to this effect I have downloaded it on to my computer and will host it on my own website as well, I am sure Malcolm would not mind this and it will ensure that this important information is kept intact.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best photos I`ve ever seen on SF Phil..awesome!
& I think you`ve done right preserving the site.
Cheers
Kev.

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Amen! Thanks for all this Phil, and excellent idea to save Malc's website, just in case... Do you know what he's up to these days?

Now, if you only knew how to straighten out all those Sharknose bodies, you'd be a real miracle worker!

Don

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
QUOTE Amen! Thanks for all this Phil, and excellent idea to save Malc's website, just in case... Do you know what he's up to these days?
Now, if you only knew how to straighten out all those Sharknose bodies, you'd be a real miracle worker!

At the time I bought the collection Malcolm had sort of 'dropped out' living in the country with his hair long, a complete contrast to the smart and dapper young man you can see on his website!
Actually some of the Sharknose Ferraris were reasonably straight, but these did not make it to the stock list as they were sold, along with a lot of other stuff, before I could list them and hence no photos.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
What great pics! I have a soft spot for VIP.Many years ago, I picked up some cars cheap from a local bike shop (Walvale) who couldn't shift them. They weren't the fastest cars around but were beautifully smooth. I would like to see a modern version of the Dino spyder.......
TED.....

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Wonderful collection Phil. Thanks for showing us. Ive never seen the gas station before.The VIP website is a great history of their cars. Bernard

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Many thanks for the photos, etc, Phil - and Kev + Don.
I have one or two of each of the grand prix cars but have never bought any of the sports cars. Wish I had.
Does the front suspension unit pivot / rock as in the open-wheelers?
Great that you're preserving the history on-line, Phil. I look forward to hearing from you on the other matters.
Rob J

1 - 20 of 64 Posts