SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two Fly Vipers. They ran fine straight out of the box. But then....

The first (Silver Chrysler 1999 Silverstone) lost its magnet shim, which meant that the powerful magnet started to get stuck to the track. Now that the glue has given way on it, the car often leaves it behind! I'm no great driver, so a light, magnetless Viper is not something I can do anything with. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement shim and glue (in London or Home Counties), or do something to modify (new round magnet for the inside, perhaps?) that doesn't involve major surgery?

The second Viper is 88125 (Red Daytona no 91). Smooth and whisper-quiet, but my fastest car. I made the mistake of letting a friend crash it. I soon worked out that the subsequent noise and rapid loss of speed was down to the drive shaft dislodging and the brass pinion gear no longer making contact with the plastic one. So I put the drive shat back into its slot. But the smoothness was gone (and perhaps some of the straight line speed?). And any deslotting now invariably results in popping out again. Any ideas? Am I missing a trick on reassembly? I've noticed that on the underside of the plastic shell of the car, there are two thin metal bits that can be pushed in or out. Is there an optimal set-up involving these things that I'm not taking account of?

I think Vipers are fabulous, but none of my other cars give me any such problems. I'm worried about being jinxed on these great cars. Is it just bad luck, bad driving, or something inherently lacking in the design?

Thanks

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
The propshaft should glue back in via the bearing. just add a dab of superglue.

Unfortunately while it was dislodged it may have shread some teeth on the crown, leading to noisiness, irratic performance and anti-smoothness (added a few made up words there
).

Replacement crowns and pinons are no problem, GetSlotted, Pendle or Gaugemaster should stock them.

The first car may have to have a replacement chassis bought for it. Gaugemaster stock pretty much everythig in the way of Fly spares so check them out .

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If the shim you refer to is just a spacer, then a scrap of plasticard will do as a replacement. As for glue, superglue is OK-ish but I prefer Plastic Padding Liquid Metal (don't ask how it can possibly be Plastic and Metal at the same time
) which is a two-part epoxy. Just glue the thing back in.

Coop

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hey, Derek!
Seriously nice chassis!
I haven't previously spent enough time looking at your products and they are WELL worth looking at.
Unfortunately, I can't stand Vipers - ugly lumps, they are.
But I could easily get the urge for a Lister version . . .
Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 5 Dec 2004, 16:36)Unfortunately, I can't stand Vipers - ugly lumps, they are. But I could easily get the urge for a Lister version . . .
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You think the Viper is ugly, but you like the looks of the Lister Storm?!?
The Lister looks like somebody tried to build a front drive F40 copy in his backyard out of plywood!
Now the '60s Jag and Chevy powered Listers were nice looking cars. I like the Viper, even more than the new one, but to each his own.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Get a new chassis for your shimless car.

Get a new chassis and a new rear axle for your other one (and ditch your 'friend'...unless he'll pay for the damage!).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for advice. New chassis on the way from getslotted, as well as a couple of sets of Professor Motor silicone rear tyres (let's see how fast this thing can go). But I now can't find the magnet, and getslotted are out of stock. Any supermagnets that anyone can recommend that fit (again without surgery)?

Friend has been sheepish since the wreck. He's getting the old Scalextric 911s next time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi,
My American Le-Mans Champion Chrysler Viper was only car that broke. First the rear view and yesterday was the rear wing. I'll retire it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your advice. Both cars are running fine again. This is what I have done.

I bought a new chassis for the old Viper. The bonus is that it comes with a shim that can hold a supermagnet. Which I subsequently bought. I haven't made any comparisons yet, but the silicone tyres also seem to be working well on the car.

For the new Viper, I bought a new rear axle, as the crown (the black wheel?) had indeed lost some teeth. Now running as normal, and whisper-quiet and smooth again. I've got silicones in reserve, but let's see how it goes with normal tyres.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Unfortunately, I can't stand Vipers - ugly lumps, they are.

Tropi, spend 20 minutes inside one, either driving or as a passenger (with a good driver!), and preferably both! They suddenly look much nicer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts