SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New from VMG:-

It looks like Rindt's 1970 Hockenheim car, but without the airbox.

Picture courtesy of Cric Crac.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
166 Posts
Blimey, 3 days on from Russells post and no more comments.

Is this due to a lack of enthusiasm for the car ?

Personally speaking I think it looks awful, I was never quite convinced about the JPS Lotus 72 and thought the Rob Walker livery didnt do the car any favours by showing up the models "chunkiness" when compared to the much sleaker 1:1.
Now I am afraid that the classic Gold Leaf livery just further emphasises the models failings.

Such a shame when there are so many of us dying for an accurate 1/32 range of classic F1's.

What do you think, are VMG just wasting their time with these Lotus re-liveries ?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Not wasting their time as people will buy them, but probably less than might have done had they been the right shape.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Although some of this has been said on a previous thread about "the most important slot car release", I think some of this is relevant here. To me the first big jump was the Ninco DTM cars
of the early 90's they looked fabulous compered to everything else at the time, then just when we thought things couldn't get any better Madrid gave us FLY! remember how you felt the first time you set eyes on an A2 Viper?
As Ninco tried to hit back with their Mclarens I'm affraid the tampo printing on the Fly releases just blew them away. The classic 908's and 512's followed
and even Scalex and laterday SCX had to up the stakes if they wanted to stay in the game. As we turned into the new century more manufacturers were either entering or re-entering the fray, Carrera were producing more exciting and better finished models and Revell brought out their Stunning Cobra Coupes and Vettes, then we had MG Vanquish!!!!!!!!!

Now I know that you guys have mostly ripped them apart about them being the wrong scale, their silly differential and the fact that the drivers seem to be sittin on them not in them, but I got rather indeared to the early Can Am releases and thought that they got away with it
I was really looking forward for what I thought to be the most important F1 slot car release in my lifetime the Lotus 72! Oh dear, how could they do this? its just terrible,
the shape is all wrong the front wheels too big and wait, is that the differential I can see uncovered?
Its just not acceptable to release this kind of stuff today and get away with it. I, like a lot of my friends have voted with their wallets and not purchased any. And dont start on about not being able to get the working components in there, just look at Chris's unbelivable 1/32nd scale Lotus 63 in the scratchbuilt section!

No, I hope comments here will not put manufacturers building future Classic F1 releases, there was a rumoured Lotus 49 coming from Spirit I only hope IMHO they dont make the same mistakes as Vanquish.

GT

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts

I got this from eBay today. Always wanted one, never had one, now got a near mint one. It isn't the right size and shape, but.... it is a lot closer than the VMG.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Scott a great find!

People may scoff at early Scalextric 'Tupperware' cars but, for pure slot car enjoyment... Anyway, enough of my sentimental rambling.

GT, I agree with your comments, something was lost during the VMG translation of the Lotus 72, to the point that it really does look well, wrong.

I don't know whether it is the size, squared off tyres or differential, there is just something that is hindering VMG making the car a legendary Lotus 72.

If only, to buy a Jochen Rindt Lotus...

Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts