SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any vintage experts offer any advice about this VW Beetle please?

I have these parts that I'll build up into a running car. Are these Monogram parts? Was a complete Beetle kit produced by Monogram? Or is this a Monogram (or some other manufacturer) model car body that was adapted to a Monogram chassis?

Present, although not shown in the photo, are trim pieces such as bumpers, door handles, headlights, tail lights, and 1 moon-hubcap wheel insert.

However, there is no glass, no interior, no running boards, no driver, no steering wheel. Did Monogram produce these parts? Or will I need to fabricate them?

Matt

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Toy Wheel

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Matt

I'm no expert and gladly stand to be corrected, but that appears, at a glance, to be an Airfix body.

Evidence is provided by the small mark at the bottom of the door and the absence of running boards. All Airfix Beetle bodies are attached to a sprue at the bottom of the right-hand door. The sprue leaves its mark and a small plastic deposit, which has to be sanded before painting.

Running boards with Airfix kits are moulded into the one-piece chassis pan. Offer the pan to the body and I guarantee it won't fit, which is why all my pans are recycled, and I make my own running boards from (usually) expired bank cards.

All other plastic Beetle kits I've built, including Revell, have running boards moulded into the body.

If it is by Airfix, I strongly advise you to make your own windows. The standard items will lead you to wake up screaming in a large pool of perspiration, and to the drinks' cabinet ere the ninth hour.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It might have a first issue Monogram chassis. But being an a American firm they issued conversions of their static kits mostly Hotrods, MGA etc.

Like Trisha Says that what appears to be an Airfix Volkwagen Beetle Body (I am no expert on that part).

Regards Allan

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info there, thank you. I bought this thing ages ago off epay and the seller described it as a Monogram. Hey, I believed him, what do I know?
lmfao.gif
So the last few hours I've been searching online for Monogram Beetle spare parts, and wondering why I couldn't find any.

I shoulda known it was an Airfix, especially after seeing Trisha's fleet of Airfix beetles.

Sounds like it may not be worth it to buy a new Airfix kit for spares. So I guess it's back to the scrap box to hack out some windows and running boards.

Matt

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Matt

Pics below, which, I hope, show what I'm drivelling on about. Two early Airfix bodies both have the 'telltale' plastic sprue deposit at the bottom of the door, a characteristic also present in new kits today.

And the chassis pan. Very wide, because it incorporates the 'built-in' running boards.

Airfix Beetle kit? Superb quality. Can't go wrong if you vow to stamp on the windows, set fire to them and write to the Thai parliament in the hope of making them unlawful.

Oh, and write a letter of complaint to the Dalai Lama. He makes a difference... but Airfix... not a chance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Trisha knows.

As to the chassis, yes it is 1st gen Monogram, about 1964. Tires appear to be contemporary EJ's 15 (an excellent tire)

Neither Monogram nor any other vintage mfg. did a VW kit. However, late in the 60's Eldon did a Baja style 'dub for some of their sets.

As to other random old VW slots, check out Bernard's museum, pinned under the Vintage corner, there might be some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, this steers me in the right direction.

Seeing as this isn't anything collectible or worthy of preservation as a stock piece, and I need to make the missing parts anyway, perhaps some modifications are called for. Maybe a Hot Rod? Rat Rod? Drag Beetle?

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Matt

Just a suggestion. You might like to watch YouTube clips of fast drag-racing Beetles for ideas about making modifications to your slot model.

Drag racing does little for me but I can't help thinking that even Prof Porsche might have raised a smile if he'd seen a Beetle reaching 150mph in just 0.25 of a mile from rest.

There's also an amusing piece by the BBC of Jenson Button and David Coulthard in a 600bhp rallycross Beetle at Lydden Hill. Not to be missed. It's a hoot.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Matt

Another idea... The Type 14A Beetle by Hebmueller, perhaps? Two bodies are needed for this build, as the engine lid is a bonnet.

The Hebmueller brothers built 696 of these wonderful cars between 1949 and 1953 (Karmann of Osnabruck made the last examples), but the company struggled after a suspicious factory fire one Saturday afternoon in July 1949.

Attachments

·
Kitbasher
4,423 Posts
A couple of VWs to add to the mix.

The blue car is an Arii kit body mated to a Richard Mack chassis.

The motor is a 40K and is waaaayyyyy too much motor for it, a bit like holding an (angry) tiger by the tail.

The green car is again an Arii construction kit for the body this time mated to a Riko chassis and running gear which is similar to but also inferior to the Monogram.

This time the car is a complete pussycat and a genuine delight to drive.

Built for the Bordeaux Vintage meeting it is based on a much modified, rallied and raced 1947 beetle whose owner upgraded it with 1950 body panels and Porsche 356 motor and brakes/wheels.

In this form it beat all of the 2 litre prototype category in the Mille Miglia with the exception of a couple of works Maseratis...

The real one has an honorary place in the Porsche museum. (The Pink Kar replica is the WRONG colour tch tch.).

Gas Auto part Bumper Machine Office equipment

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Tifosi

Thank you for showing your Beetles above. Both look wonderful. I can well imagine that the 40k version might be a tad wayward.

A few of mine below that might give Matt ideas for his project. I've got more somewhere plus work currently in progress.

Apparently, I'm to be blamed rather than pitied. Sometimes both, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Stuck

I think your mother had a point.

Tifosi

I've wanted to build the 1954 Mille Miglia Beetle for ages, but absence of the correct wheel inserts has prevented anything materialising. Any ideas, please?

The model below is, alas, a die-cast by Schuco. Nice but it's not a slot car. Tut.

Attachments

·
Kitbasher
4,423 Posts
Just remember you are looking for Porsche inserts, not VW

I used some vintage super shells for 'the little tailor' as the owner christened it (why?).

I bought these from eBay last week, very inexpensive for the sprue, these are destined for an old Ford Prefect/Anglia like this below;

Wood Audio equipment Jewellery Circle Musical instrument

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
Stuckinthesixties...

Neither Monogram nor any other vintage mfg. did a VW kit
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Green Gas Rectangle Auto part Metal

Automotive parking light White Automotive lighting Tire Product

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

And... as an encore...
smile.png

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

So unless 1/32 is the only scale tolerated by new generations, this very nice Midori kit is rather cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I should know by now not to make grand sweeping statements, esp. about scales I'm unfamiliar with! That kit should really scoot with those pretty advanced features: ball bearings, ind. front wheels, a light vac body and a 26D for power! So unlike my '56 1:1 oval window at a grand spanking 36bhp.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts