SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a new book "C*** Cars* by the author Richard Porter he lists the VW Beetle as being the UK's c***est car.

The other 4 in the top five being the Austin Allegro, Morris Marina, Lada Riva and Suzuki X90.

He says of the VW Beetle that it is slow, noisy and uncomfortable and is a triumph of expectation over reality.

Fortunately I have never owned any of those cars listed but I know somebody who has. The Vanden Plas Allegro has something of a following in Toy Town.

Is Mr Porter right?

Moped

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I think he means 'carp'. Moped there is a swear filter on the Forum - write the word you want and the Forum substitutes its own one for you :)

This guy forgot the Moskovitch and Austin Princess in his list, I would say they top even the mighty Marina!

Then there was the awesome Austin Maxi!! 5 seater with wide seats and no prop shaft tunnel due to it being front wheel drive - as a hip young teen we got 8 people in each car NO PROBS! and that was years before the people carriers

I was driving that car at 16 with nothing legal and didn't give a damn - those were the days

G

·
I's surprised anyone like the Beetle and funnily enough I can see why it is the crappest car.
Sniffpetrol is hilariously funny and better than most magazines as it usually tells the truth!
Jap, it's the future!

S

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hmm... seen that book, it's a Top Gear production and another Top Gear book is around on sale which is Clarkson's Top 100 Cars - and curiously a car I have owned (well two of them actually) appears in both. Consistency? Nah.....

Coop

·
Registered
238 Posts
Personally, never been a huge fan of the beetle (either old or new) but can't see how it's the crappiest either. For me there'd be many more cars in front of it in the list:

Austin Allegro
Austin Maestro
Vauxhall Viva
Fiat Panda
Citreon 2CV
British Leyland/Austin Princess
....plus many more!

Anyway, how can the car that spawned so many of these:

be considered the crappiest?????

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the fella wants to sell his book and therefore limited his selection to cars that the Brits can relate to.

However the yanks have produced even worse cars as stated but on the other hand in the USA you get twice as much car for your bucks than you do in Europe so you could buy 2 Edsels for one VW. The yanks are more into designing tanks and military vehicles. Given that is the mentality it is hardly surprising how cars from the USA handle!

Moped

1 - 20 of 39 Posts