SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm looking for 3 Scalextric retro fit digital chips, the solder in type, and thought I'd see if anyone here had any they didn't need before I went out and bought them. I'm happy to buy, or swap for something if you prefer.
I'm hoping to use them to chip 3 of my Rover SD1 police cars, so I would think that either saloon or f1 chips would fit as there's a fair bit of space inside.
Are there likely to be any problems with the lights/sirens working as normal after chipping?
If you've done these cars or similar yourself then any advice/photos would also be helpful, as I couldn't see these cars in the chipping database.
Please PM me if you can help.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Prof I T
11,171 Posts
hi Rich
sorry cant help on the chip front but to wire the lights just take the siren and lights straight to the pick up feet.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
You might have a problem with the siren ....... lights should be OK as long as they are not the wheat bulbs ....... LEDs should be OK with appropriate resistors fitted

·
Circuit Owner
5,917 Posts
Hi Richard,

You should wire your lights across the guide but using a bridge rectifier (four diodes in a diamond formation) - this will mean the lights are on whenever the car is on the track. It doesn't matter whether you use wheat bulbs or LEDs if you do this (providing the LEDs have the right resistors). Wire the siren across the motor terminals - that way the siren will only operate when you are on the throttle - you might want to put a diode in line with the siren as I don't know how it would react to back EMF (braking).

A bridge rectifier effectively chops the AC sine wave in half - when the positive half is hitting the car it is directed one way and when the negative half hits the car the bridge rectifier sends it the other way - thus maintaining the polarity of the current flow to the lights. Wire your digital chip separately across the guide so it avoids the bridge rectifier.

Here's a link to a Bridge rectifier diagram (about 2/3 of the way down the page). El cheapo N4148 diodes do the job - they are small so don't take up much space. Readily available on the bay.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts