SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a VW Beetle but cannot find anyone selling them. I'm after the upto 1972 style, not the new concept designs.

I've got a '50s VW Split Screen Pickup and need the bug to race head 2 head.

It's only worth racing if it really is a rear wheel drive

Ta
Gunter

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
If you want a box standard car then Pink Kar does a fairly comprehensive selection, although they are splits. I gather that the later models have upgraded magnets and motors.

As for building one yourself, take the Airfix 1/32 kit (it's the later post-1966 model), and then get yourself a Scalextric Caterham. Cut the rear wings off and remove all the bodywork, sand it all down and trim the rear lip behind the cockpit, then trim the floorpan of the model kit to sit inside the body flush with the Caterham chassis and drill holes for the mounting screws.

It works like a charm. I didn't have an interior tray that fit (although I'm sure that our friend who does the Airfix MGB and E-Type trays would be able to help). Instead I blacked out the windows. My body was painted baby blue and, using the Gulf Caterham, didn't need to respray the chassis. It looked like and old school California Look bug riding low on a set of black Empi 8-spokes - marvellous stuff.

Handling was very Beetle-like. The Caterham has a front-to-mid engine, but big power and a very high centre of gravity meant it would slide and spin like a good 'un.

Also I see that Pendle does resin Beetle bodies.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gunter

An even easier conversion would be to add the Airfix kit on to a Pink Kar chassis. You can even use the PK interior with a bit of trimming.

Beetle - details of my car shown below.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts