SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All
Had a visit from the society treasurer last night who told us that an EGM [extraordinary general meeting] has been requested by 25 or more of the membership, or more to the point the garden railway section people!
This is to debate the possibility of getting rid of HQ and move all activities to Colney Heath, the ongoing talks with Barnet Council regarding possible rent increases have prompted this debate.
As it stands the garden railway section has taken up all spare space at Colney Heath and if there was any it would be improbable that the Water Company that owns the land would grant planing permission to build, also the cost would be massive.
So if these people got there way we would be without a club/clubroom/track which would most probably be the end of NLondon!
We were told that it would be in our best interest if ALL paid up slot section members were to attend to voice there displeasure regarding this proposal.
The meeting is to be held at HQ on Saturday 3rd March @ 2pm.
Please do try and attend.
[oneofwos]

·
Eddie Grice
2,323 Posts
Hi John & all at NL.
Hope it all goes ok for you.
You have probably noticed we have a similar predicament at the moment.
What's going on? it seems society's out to kill off slot car clubs at the moment

Eddie

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although it all sounds terminal I don't think these quislings will get a majority vote in there favour but that could all depend on what Barnet bump the rent to.
Not sure Woodgreen would want a venue share anyway, don't think they would have storage for two tracks and the hall rental costs are quite high.
Finding an alternative permanent site for a club within the London area would prove difficult, also our track is not portable so a new track would have to be built and that work/cost would fall on the usual suspects!
[oneofwos]

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you can make it next Saturday Alan.
Spoke to the treasurer yesterday, he worked out some figures based on the current membership numbers and Barnet councils £7000 x year rent demand, if this was the figure we are saddled with then the yearly sub's would increase by approx £27 and that includes the £5 increase that was planned anyway.
Based on these figures and today's economic climate the increase doesn't sound too bad and I am sure that the society will be able to negotiate down from that figure, lets hope.
[oneofwos]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Good luck with the negotiations.

It is a long time since I was actually a paid up NLondon member (1974) but I will always be one, if you see what I mean.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hoi John
all the very best with that .dont let the bastards grind you down
I cant believe barnet want £7000 rent for that place
When we moved from church farm in 1980 /81 the place was an absolute hovel only fit for demolition. its only all the work done over the years by NLSME members that has made it useable and worth any rental at all ,and it might be worth reminding them of that .
Good luck
Cheers tony

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a reminder that the EGM is tomorrow [Saturday] at 2pm at HQ.
For the interest of ALL the slot section everybody should try and attend, this is not one of the "can't be bothered" meetings as the outcome is important.
[oneofwos]

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
As another former member, I hope all goes well for you today.

Hoping for the best

Mooster

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi guys
"Nils illegitimius carborundum "

Good luck Tony

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Fully packed clubroom hall to hear some cogent points of view.
In the end the proposition to abandon the North Finchley HQ was not put to a vote and negotiations with the council will continue as they were before.

Thanks for all the voices of support,
L.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let's say the proposal to blow out HQ was put on hold for now, if it comes up again will depend on what the society manage to negotiate the rent to.
Want to thank all the slot car section people who turned up to voice there opinions, shame some didn't care enough to bother!
[oneofwos]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts