Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst finally deciding on my loft layout I decided to set it up on the living room floor so I could measure the baseboards I needed to build. Having put it all together for a little practice run I had a couple of work issues to sort out and upon returning to the living room found my 4yr old son running on the track, aaarrrggghhh!
Whilst he is not overly heavy I now have approx 45m of brand new but slightly "bowed" track that I would like to know how to get it back to being straight, if possible? it is not very bad but it is very noticeable on long straights with the cars having an up & down motion.
I don't want to fix it down by having to put holes in the track so is there another way of straightening it out?

Your superior knowledge is much appreciated. My wallet will appreciate it too!!

Mark

G

·
I doubt that kept in a loft, and with the temperature fluctuations we experience in England, that any plexi track will stay flat without pinning down.
I suggest pinning with panel pins although i realise that you are reluctant to do so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I say loft, it is a full loft conversion fully insulated and centrally heated that I haven't got round to utilising yet. In essence it should be an ideal hideaway for me!
Fixing down will be my last resort as I would like to mix the circuit design up a bit, never really happy with it and always trying to better it!!
I didn't know if there was a magic cure for flattening the track be it a heavy weight sat on top for a period of time or even turning the track upside down and letting my son run around it again (only joking), but this will annoy me if I cannot resolve it and will be costly to replace.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It bends easy just take your time and bend it back

This what I do with mine

You can put something heavy on it but if it only bent a bit just get it on a flat hard surface and push on it and it will go back easily

Michael

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I am afraid you have two hopes and one of them is dead, you dont say what type of track it is. our club track is Ninco, and we are in the lucky position that we dont have to move it so it is lose laid and has no bowing from heat temperature, and the room does get very hot sometimes, anyway what I am saying is that the ony probable way of flattening your track will require a press of sometype this will have to be heat proof as you will have to put the track into the press and then into the oven, heat the oven and kep a check on the track, once it reaches the right temperature the track should be flattend dont remove the track from press until cooled.
I have never known anyone who has successfully flattend track but have done the above with some success.
Regards
Zen

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If you have house and contents insurance, make a claim for accidental damage.

I doubt you will ever get it flat successfully. I never could. Once the creases are in the metal rails, they are almost impossible to remove.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
It doesn't sound too promising but I'll try the press and oven idea. I should be able to rig up a press easily enough. There's approx 140 lengths of Ninco track to try it on and as no rails are creased, just slightly bowed, this idea might just work. Getting the temperature and timing right will be the key I suppose but if I can rescue the majority for the sake of a few I will give it a go!
I'll take a few pics as I go and if it works will put them up as a thread.

Thanks everyone!

Mark

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
All this talk if ovens and presses

are you having a laugh

He didnt say it was bent just bowed
this can easily be eased back

my track get walked on every time it is down and it is easy to get flat again

Michael

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Michael
you must have the patience of Jobe, it would appear that you alone have managed to do the impossible and managed to flatten plexi track, I congratulate you and bathe in the glory of your light,I will definatley wait with baited breath for the next question that you respond to so I can be more enlightened, Please let us all know what type of track you race on so the rest of us mear mortals can follow in your light

Zen

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with Zen completely about the method of flattening your track and the 50/50 chance of success you have. Do a couple of bits at a time between baking trays or similar and weight the top with something non-flammable. Why don't you want to pin the track down? If you're going to have a permanent setup in the loft this seems the best way to do it. Your track will stay flat (ish!) and by keeping it pinned down you'll also maintain good connections and avoid kicking bits all over the place when stepping around it to replace cars.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The problem with pinning plexi track is the temperature change in the area effects the track and rail differrentley, and most people dont leave expansion gaps, something we SHOULD learn from our train bretheren, (unlike digital,IMHO), I digress.
when you have your track plan start to pin the track between the rails use three pins one each end and one in the middle, pin two pieces of track but remove the connections on the end of the last piece, do the same to the next piece of track you are going to connect put a spacer ie a piece of cardboard from a cereal box folded in two between the two pieces of track and then pin down the track in the same way as above, one thing is that you DONT need to pin or space the bends.
Zen

·
Registered
270 Posts
If the loft space is insulated and centrally heated then I'd assume the temperature differences will be very limited so the expansion should be negligible. Very good point though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't realise this would cause that much tension between fellow slotters!

@Michael, your pics are exactly how my track is. I have flattened as you described and with a little care the majority have gone back to virtually perfect. I still have a few that I am not happy with and @Zen I am going to try the press and oven method, there is no reason why this shouldn't work and it would be interesting to see how this works out.

I don't want to pin it as I know I will want to Change aspects of it but I can eventually see me going the permanent routed track route. I've only has this a couple of months and the bug has bitten me well an truly, the wife thinks i'm mad and going through a mid life crisis but I keep telling he it's cheaper than a Harley! (but only just the rate I'm going).

Anyhow, thankyou everyone, and I look forward to chatting with you again.

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
No tension here Mark

I was just trying to help as I use the dreaded scalex track at home with a 7 & 3 year old
and the three year old likes running round after the cars so I have this all the time and its not as hard to sort as some people make out

but good to see your sorted now

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Nor here, I would even suggest thatyou might be able to get to Michaels club, or to look on the forum and see if there is a club near to you that you could increase your enjoyment od this interesting hobby. Due respect to all that have contributed to this thread
Regards
Zen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts