SlotForum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Just tried some of the 30 shore, 1970s Scalextric F1 rears on the Oaklands Park track which is gloss polyurethane in a need of a good clean with a bit of a grip line. Impressed with the grip and soft feel of the compound, didn't actually appear to need gluing but that was with a couple of old Johnson and fairly flat Mabuchis, YMMV with faster motors. As they say on eBay "Would Buy Again".

Coop

· Registered
3,747 Posts
Andy Mintoff's review on SF says
"WASP make three compounds, all urethane. As Wayne says on his web site "The urethane I use is Smooth-on Vita flex, its more expensive but gives far superior results to cheaper brands."

20, soft. 30, mid-range. 40, hard (No, not that hard)"

The WASP web site says
"WASP tires are made from Urethane rubber which is legal in most clubs. They are made in 2 grades of softness 30A and 40A."

Is there a 20 option? If there is, how do they compare with other makes? (Andy Mintoff says he hasn't tried the 20)

· Registered
1,416 Posts
I have a set of the 20a's. Ubber soft. Not really given them a good go, but gave too much grip on my old Scaley 'jelly mould' P4.

I will have a selection of WASP tyres at this weekends swapmeet in Orpington. I'll be on the stage. Not singing and dancing though. Well..if I have a good day I might. You have been warned.

· Slot King
4,683 Posts
Well, I haven't tried Wayne's version, but I have been brewing my own with Vytaflex 30 for a while now.

I my experience, if you race at a club (long straights), then the 30 will need gluing in every case.
They also wear very very quickly. I wore a set down to almost nothing just practicing at Wolves Le Mans race in the spring.
I used another set recently at a vintage 1/24th race in Belgium on a gloss track and they too wore very thin after 8 segments.
I dread to think what the 20s would be like.

As for grip, Vytaflex 30 has a little more than some Ortmans but a little less than some others (depends on what vintage Ortmans you have).
At Wolves, they have less grip than the NSR, on our club track, less than Slot It 22.
At the same vintage meeting, we raced 1/32nd on a Carrera track and the difference with NSRs was about 0.8 second a lap, 0.4 with the Slot It 22 (12 second lap).

For me, I find grip is OK for general use, but the wear rate is too high, especially on an abrasive track. I will try the shore 40 once I run out of the 30.
The best thing is that by brewing your own, you can restore any old vintage car you want for very little cost.

Joel

· Doilum
955 Posts
Hiya Wayne,

Have you got any scaley NASCAR tyres moulded yet??? I'm looking for at least one set, and I know DD wants a set too. I have a couple of originals (rubber not silicone) that you can have if you need to make a mould.

Regards
Al

· Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,127 Posts
Im going to have to get a picture up of my wasp 'iron man special' rally tyres. just fitted them to my msc metro last week and they look fantastic! still need a good testing when i get some dirt to drive through.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
spangy if you have trouble glueing your tyres try a slow cure ca made for tyres this allows you 15 to 30 secs to get your tyres seated properly. very hot soapy water will break the bond if you need to get them off again and acetone on a cotton bud used quickly will wipe excess from the tyres and rims. this stuff is a god send for a clumbsy git like me. john.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.