SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a phrase i've picked up a lot over the last few years, and why don't so many clubs le peoplet run newer faster cars , this is stopping new interest in the sport, surely rules bloody rules can be adjusted to let all enjoy.
I no longer race in a club as there ain't any round here , but when i did i liked to try the newer cars , i'm not stuck in the past where i try to resurect my old Ninco, i can't get the parts for it so we would all be in the same pot scrabbling around trying to keep the old tank going so i buy a new Slot it, NSR, Thunderslot instead, and enjoy the enhanced performance .
Low and behold i buy those terrible out of scale nasty nasty Thunderslots , why because they look good , go good and do me good driving them at racing speeds,, i have always thought that progress is what keeps things going along.
Don't get me wrong i love the old cars which mostly i have updated but i will get told sorry mate you can't race that we don't allow that here at this club which seems to be the way of lots of you.
Now this might wake up the dead and the dying chuckle. 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my own club here Mr Wankel ( hope i spelt that right chuckle ) and have only 4 rules .
1. Drivers must bring their own drinks , prefebly single malt.
2. No food to be eaten by the race track , encourages the spiders.
3. All drivers must take a turn at marshalling,
4 Ladies to wear trousers, bending over in short skirts distracts the drivers.

Simple rules and a great evening is normally had by everyone especially after the 4th scotch , being serious for a nano second , done all or nearly all you suggested , still have no real club which i miss a lot , and still beleive in less rules the better fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thinking back to when i was a club racer in the early days it was all a learning curve, Friday night was race night , Saturday was tinkering trying to improve from others there who were either faster than you or had faster cars , their is a differance.
Kevan has hit one nail on the head to up performance e.g tyres and prepping tyres, i have been amazed over the years how many drivers don't put out decent tyres , seen some right horrors doing proxies , and the owner wants to know why his car is a dog .
It's all in the prep , and ability , my brother was faster than me just a fact but in endurance racing i always beat him, why ? i was more consistant over the longer period and stayed in the slot , which is another way of being faster, stay in the slot.
Dopamine is right about club cars but even then we found one car was just that little bit better than it,s stable mates , a lot of the time is being consistant that is the name of the game , drive in your own ability not others.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Human nature seems to come into rules , can remember in the mid 60,s and things were really hot slot car wise and there were loads of clubs in Essex and we went inter club racing which was great fun until the rules got bigger and bigger .
The so called fast boys normally managed to benddddddddddddd the rules in some form or another, others just started to give it up as regards a hobby , they could not afford to do it anymore .
Then there were the engineers who came up with some great ideas so once again rules were ammended because through their skill they gained a advantage especially in the brass chassis dept
Now i look on from the sidelines have my own 2 lane track in the garage , can go down there with who ever wants to come along and play slot cars , there are no rules just a bit of nostalgic fun , but i still miss the club days, think we all learned a lot and things today have not really changed on that score, bet there still is the good the bad and the down right argumentive competitors in most if not all clubs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Joel I might not draw up our rules but unbeknown to most I鈥檓 entirely responsible for the technical side as I go through it every year before and after the agm so Noel doesn鈥檛 have many problems To contend with,as for club cars it鈥檚 not so bad at the moment as John is supplying some good cars but in the past club cars have usually been utter garbage,spirt 2002 BMWs irest my case ,there鈥檚 nothing wrong with club cars as long as you start with a good car and then give them to the best Biulder you have in the club to prepare them,not as happened with the ninco Megan鈥檚 where I did 2 and someone else did 2 of which they put all 4 zero grips on one car. but in reality club cars handout tyres ect all the stuff that apparently levels the field does not and never will level it ,as the same 4 drivers are always the top 4 ,club cars ect are like a doctor鈥檚 placebo people believe it makes a difference to who will win it doesn鈥檛 it just reduces the gap buy how much they lose ,but lose they will,the only chance they have to win is do what I did which was put the time and effort in to learn how to build a car and more importantly how to drive it,but they won鈥檛 go to club at weekend like we used to on Saturdays and do thousands of laps cause if I took the same attitude as some of our members who love handouts ect I鈥檇 never have come back but I didn鈥檛 I saw it as a challenge to get better .I didn鈥檛 expect the rest of the club to come down to my level I learnt how to do it and progressed up to theirs
but that鈥檚 just me.ranting over
now where did I put those handout tyres
Handout tyres ? blimey you spend all the time setting your car up to be given a wonky couple of tyres, sounds mad , why don't you designate a tyre say a Slot it 22 , the club buys enough sets to cover the members then sell the unopened packet to them to put on their car.
That way you can all run the same tyre in to the type of car you are running, and leave it set up for the next time you race the car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Quite happy the amount of interest shown in this subject, of course we all have differing views but that's what it is all about , on a personmal level i come at this from many years experiance , starting in the early 60,s where we had Airfix and Scalextric tracks and cars mainly , if you could afford it VIP was available.
My early club experiance was at Hornchurch was on a 4 lane Airfix track, hardly any other clubs around at that time , think a couple of scalextric one's in Essex , we had no rules at all , hardly any cars actually to make rules over.
That changed when we like many others started building wood tracks and the hobby really took of with lots more being available, so in came rules fairly basic really, nothing more than i think around 6 .
When we joined ECRA like so many clubs we sort of adopted their rules , pointless building our cars to 2 differant sets of rules, which seemed to be what a lot of clubs did as well to make building easier , can remember inter club racing was never a problem as we had the same rules, of coursr by the 70's everything nearly had gone out the window along with the hobby got to expensive and the rules to cover everything was the bible size.
Coming up to date , there are today many types of tracks clubs have , quite a few plastic , the good old wood , digital is now amongst us , and it would seem looking through the last few years on Slotforum the rules of what you can do or can't has also risen.
My last foray to a club circuit was on a wood track , went along as i had recently moved here , had some current cars so thought have a go, got to this club nice bunch of blokes , ran a couple of cars and i was quite happy then i was told nice cars but we don't allow them here , so i was loaned a couple of club cars which were quite dissapointing but i was happy to at least get a run or two.
After the racing i was presented with a copy of their rules along with the classes the ran took them home to read through the pages and thought i just wanted to run my cars , not have to build cars suitable for some of the rules like the front engined class, did i really want to buy a Fly GTO with the motor in the front, no i didn't in the rear a differant story.
So i never went back , that club gradually lost members and been closed now for a few years , i hope by what i've said and others on here people think about where the hobby is going , i do know a club fair way from here average age 71, we need new blood the old guard will not be here for ever, so just a suggestion from an old old warrior, cut down the classes and make rules easier so anyone new coming down clutching his NSR 908 can race it and then learn from there

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yeah, still not really sure of your motives with this thread, Peter. Your real motives. If it's just venting then the Grumps thread might be better suited.

I mean, I'm left feeling like you're telling us clubbers the error of our ways for not accommodating... you, and your 908. Oxford would, by the way. 馃榿

If you've a club nearby-ish, you can't rock up to it and immediately take the hump because they don't, at first glance, see the world according to Gunn.

So their rules aren't to your taste? Inveigle yourself. Sound out others about changing this rule or that. See if anyone else is interested in introducing this brand or that. Run your car in free practice and show how well it goes.

Rome wasn't built in an evening.

Edit
Another thought, possibly calling a bluff; could you rent the local wood track on another night, publish and then run to rules you set? In a build it, and they will come style?
Motives Mr Wankel just observations through the years , many don't seem to get it suppose being stuck in your way you don't either , all been done many years and years ago nothing is new just goes round again and again , still this thread did wake some up out of their sleep chuckle :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
As long as time there have always been people that bent the rules or downright cheated , in the old days was a bit hard to do as there was very little you could do it with, as time went on it was easy so that term WE DON'T ALLOW THAT came into being.
Kevan is right if you gunk your tyres properly at home are really impregnate the compound and leave no residue you can get away with it ? or can you have yet to see a smell less additive for slot car tyres so there is a tell tale smell.
Back in time first additive we used was wintergreen oil, until the WE DON'T ALLOW THAT came into being why because all 16 members were using it and along with the paraffin heater most guys were either ill or high.
Slot racing club wise is built on mutual trust , but like i have said their is always those who arouse suspicion , normally because their car is so much faster than others with the same spec
There is a saying cheats don't prosper which is a load of B-----s as they all seem to get away with it in life so if possible ladies and gentlemen enjoy your racing but beware that time when someone says WE DON'T ALLOW THAT chuckle.馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Race craft is something we learn with practise , watching those who drive faster than us, look at the equipment they are using and try to follow suit, no shame in copying others if they are better than you in their approach to slot cars .
As i said i no longer have anywhere to race but when i was racing used to spend a lot of my time with the newbys in the club , most Friday nights at least one would come up to me and say , me car don't go very well, so there i was explaining to said person in the little shed what was wrong and better still show him.
On cheaters towards the end of my racing time i was at this club and there was a guy there who i won't name used to have spare sets of treated wheels and tyres in his box , and after sussing this i watched him and this is how he operated.
After his heat he never used to marshall but sit in the corner and switched his wheels ready for the next heat , and so on right up to the final he was usually in and quite often won.
Now i didn't really know why he did this as he had ability , was a good builder but a poor looser i never outed him just had a quiet word in his ear about what would happen to certain parts of his anatomony if he carried on , luckily for him he realised that he didn't want to speak with a high voice so he stopped doing it.
He still won on the odd occasion as he was pretty good , but not by the amount previous , but i always kept my eye on him and he actually learned to marshall.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
WE DON'T ALLOW THAT , The Mosler now i don't own one of therse cars but i have noticed many clubs don't allow them and i can't see why , so enlighten me.
Over the years there have been certain slot cars like the NSR P68 which have at some time been the car to have and many had the P68 but i can't remember that car being banned like the Mosler .
Comes down also to the Thunderslot range which has been again a recent topic of disagreement why is there a WE DON'T ALLOW THAT here policy exists , all that is doing is harming slot car sales surely , you ain't gonna buy it if you can't race it at your club.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts