SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I visited them once for their closing down sale. As far as I can remember I got a few bargains but most of the stuff was obsolete. Not sure of the date - late 1960s I think.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Interesting chassis, Peter. I saw something similar this weekend at the Bordeaux International Vintage meeting; the guy reckoned his was a Wonderland product.

When the vintage experts have made their way home from Bordeaux you may have some answers :)

Richard

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi Richard
It's fairly conventional chassis design - British builders often called them raft chassis, the Americans often called them jail door chassis. I built a few like it back in the day. Chassis design was developing rapidly in those days so the latest designs soon became obsolete.
Websters did make their own product lines, there were loads of small producers around back then.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I know Chris :) I have a particularly nice raft by Stan Kirk that he made when still at school, circa 1967. It's nearing the top of the 'to do' pile!

Websters, though, is a new one on me so I await developments.

Richard.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi
Webstacars are a new one on me, but I am happy to put my head above the parapet and suggest it is probably a Japanese imported chassis ( similar to the Riko ones ) as all of the home brewed chassis from Nordic's - Wonderland etc are naked brass and none that I know of have been chrome plated
john ( waiting to be shot down in flames )

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that Joel from 2013
That particular post drifted pretty quickly onto other things (as they do)
but there was talk of Wonderland selling them.
The guy i got it from went to Wonderland in Southend quite regularly.
The pic isnt 100%clear but as couserslot said it is chrome plated
cheers
Peter

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Peter et al, having looked at 'Trend of the Trade' in the October 1968 edition of Model Cars magazine, referred to in the 2013 thread, I think this Websta is indeed the same as those sold by Wonderland. Your pics. above show it as 8' wheelbase; the article says they were available in 8', 9' and 10' w/b.

I shall have to delve in my '1:32 metal projects' box but I think I have one under a Mirage vacform. Eligible for Bordeaux 2023 :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
The chassis in the Webstacars packet looks similar to the photo Joel posted in 2013, although there are differences in the drop arm and it's not clear if the plating is the same. The Webstacars one in the photos appears to be brass coloured, although it's difficult to be certain without looking at the actual chassis.

After all those years, I suppose there's a very remote chance of finding somebody who knows more about where Webstacars sourced their products.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Japanese AYK company made a lot of the chassis that were sold in the late 60´s, many under the importers brand name. I would say there is a high probability that this little beauty came from them :)

Niels, DK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts