SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show & Tell time............It was put to me a little while back to show some work..........well, i needed to actually DO some work first.

Since I operate my own business, finding time is a here and there kinda thing (winter generally gives me a bit more free time) This will be my Ongoing Build Thread.............In it I will show progress on my circuit.

Whats it called?? I dont know............How about "Laurentian Raceway Park"

That'll do until I change it

I am going to be trying some new things during this build. Differant than my normal Model RR work in the past.(at least in some area's)
I may build.........tear out........rebuild area's until I find methods that I am happy with.

For now here is the lay of the land so to speak.

The basic circuit can be seen in my Avatar...............The Benchwork is open Grid............The roadbed has been cut out using a cookie cutter method from 3/8" Plywood Sheathing.(Except in one area I used 1/4" Birch Multiply because I Had it
)
A Masonite Backdrop will be installed in some area's. This will be my next step.

Riser's have been used to form the elevations.

The benchwork will recieve a Masonite Fascia that will Be painted (probobly Black) and then it will have a Fabric (black & White checkered) Apron to hide the under the layout storage.
Above, the upper shelf has lighting hanging down to light the raceway. This will recieve another piece of masonite for a Valance that will Hide the Lighting. It to will Be painted and have a checkered flag Stripe.

Eventually the top of this Shelf will hold an On30 Point to point Narrow Gauge Logging Railroad set in the Depression Era. This layout will be fairly simple and designed more to show off scratchbuilt buildings & rolling Stock than anything else.

Here's a shot of where I am at presently.

Be patient with me.........I only have so much time I can dedicate to my hobbies and I have more than 1.........But I am having fun with this one!!!

As a side note I just ordered my first Historic Racers.
Lemans , 1960's.............The Ford and Ferrari Battle............this must be relived in scale

These are the 2 that are on thier way from Jadlam (great seller by the way)

·
Kitbasher
4,565 Posts
Am I seeing things or are you expecting a mid 60s Ferrari to beat a huge 2004 Ford GT?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Track is looking good, but as Tifosi mentions it looks like there has been a bit of an error on the Ford front

I recommend getting the Scalextric Goodwood 3 GT40 set - you can usually find this at reasonable prices so you get 3 cars for the price of - uh 2.21 cars! They are dirtied down very nicely imho.

Looking forwards to watching this build progress though

·
Registered
577 Posts
QUOTE (tifosi @ 26 Sep 2006, 13:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Am I seeing things or are you expecting a mid 60s Ferrari to beat a huge 2004 Ford GT?
In this case I think the 60's P4 will whip the ass off the 2004 Ford, which, although smooth and easy to drive, is a little slow and cumbersome round the turns and out of the corners. But I agree, a more correct match would be with the Fords from the Goodwood set which are from the same era as the P4 and also faster or you could buy the latest single GT40 release C2755:

BTW, that's shaping up to be a very nice and interesting track.
Might try putting up one myself one day, space and the missus permitting.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldnt sneak that one by on you eh

You guys are too sharp for me LOL........But do you know the differance between a Shay and a Climax?? a C-16 and a C-19??.........nevermind

I Havent Found the goodwood in digital YET!!..........the 2004 concept car will have to do until then..............Besides, its going to be fun having my Dodge Viper whip that Ford once in a while too

Lane changers are in end corners.............I also have a spot for the straight lane changer when I get one..........So far the tracks actually quite challenging to drive (at least for me it is) I got the F1 cars out and couldnt even open em up.........man those F1's really fly. Hands down fastest cars I have...as it should be

Also very responsive.

I suppose I could order a goodwood from Jadlam or just convert it myself.............They do such a nice job on thier conversions though and really, they dont ask much for the service

OK..........time to bail for a few days................My annual Grouse Hunt/ Brook trout trip is going to take place thurs- Mon so I'll cya next week....Be careful out there.....and dont forget that every now and again youve got to.....................Light em up!!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I clearly haven't been racing enough lately... my first thought for Climax was somehting quite different

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Track is coming along nicely... If you're finding the cars too fast try taking the magnets out, that'll slow things down a little and make the corners more fun.

As for the Shay / Climax - You must be a Locomotive fan........Loco

Niether ot them will beat the GT40..

DJ

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE a shay is a small horse drawn cart, and a Climax was one of the best GP engines ever built.

The Shay is actually a Gear Driven Logging Locomotive capable of handling very steep grades as opposed to a dray that was a small cart used in logging (sometimes these had Skids only rather than wheels)............Very cool looking locomotive....they were however very slow...............DJ, No doubt neither would beat a GT40

QUOTE loose the magnets and get some real driving!!

Quite possibly this is what I will do when it is all said and done....................Not until i have some protection from spills however.
Its a really long ways to the floor.......Plunging off of A scale 100 foot Plus Cliff would be dramatic..........but really expensive

Sure wish I had more time to spend here..............Ya'll are far too much fun

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
QUOTE (DJ @ 27 Sep 2006, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Niether ot them will beat the GT40..

Unless the race involves pulling a few hundred tons of cargo, haha

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my fishing trip was a bust....Cold, wet , rainy and just all around miserable conditions. To think I wasted all that time when i could have been working on the track

I managed to catch the last 1/2 of the petit Lemans yesterday...........Great Race..too bad for Audi losing the #1 car with just a few laps remaining.

& too bad for the Corvettes losing out on the triple crown..........kind of a bitter sweet thing though since I do not have a C6 corvette but I DO have a DBR9

Now, as to the GT's..I like that 67 Daytona #11 and I checked into it.
Jadlam says its tricky to set this one up for digital...............Anybody know??

I thought the new ones were all coming out with pop in module's??

Price to me including postage is going to be around 80 BUCKS (and i thought 75 was steep)

For 80.00 i can almost buy 2 cars here in the states both digital and both shipped (I'm thinking the Indy cars here for example)

Of course there is that Gotta Have it mentallity of mine and the writing across my forhead that says Screw Me, everyone else does

OK, back to the track................cant forget to watch the Chineese grand Prix today.
Hmmm Nascar in KC or Schumaker in China...............No Contest

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Well TIle Guy you were watching Speed channel yesterday as well. I said to the wife there is my Aston and Vette racing each other.

I recorded the F1 late last night and going to watch it now then the Cup race this afternoon. THe last race of the season at our local track today is rained out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I started working on Barrier Walls the other day knowing several coats of paint would be required.

I am using 1/8" masonite.
The masonite will be siliconed directly to the track edge And some Mock Bracing supports will be built for it down the road someday.
Here is an example of the high walls..............These will be used on the outside of the track. A Lower version will be used on the inside and for a pit wall. The Banner ads are printed on Matte Photo Paper (HP premium) and after masking off top and bottom 3M super 77 spray adhesive was used to attach Banner ads. ( A HUGE Thanks to Dr Vanski and several others for providing us with quality banners sized for use!!
)

Thoughts, questions, Idea's

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
A method I used and is holding up. I used plexiglass. It cuts nicely with table saw. Then I folded my signage which printed on regular paper and then just used cello tape to the OUTSIDE of the wall. THe cars do not damage it. Also by using a few finishing nails as possible there is some give when the car hits it. Next time I would make it slightly higher as some cars catch their wing on the top of the wall.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I would suggest not siliconing it directly to the track.

On my permanent layout, I have had to lift and seperate track pieces from time to time for connectivity maintenance, so my opinion is it's a good idea for the track to be liftable without disrupting the scenery too much.

Secondly - I would add a bit of scenery to widen the track. Scalextric tract is only just wide enough, and cars can wiggle a lot for a long way down the straight. I have some Ninco walling which clips to the edge of the track, and also have problems with wider vehicles (eg Ninco go karts) catching on them.

Fly's F1 walls has about a centimeter of grass edging which works well, or if you are going for more of a NASCAR look, just widen the track with something ingenius but track coloured and textured.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I'm definitely with Astro on widening the track. Sport track really is narrow. It's ok if you're running with strong magnets, but as soon as you get something sliding you're going to hit those walls. If you intend to run cars without magnets then you'll need to widen the track by a couple of inches, especially the corners.

cheers,

Rob

1 - 20 of 290 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.