SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Jon. I'm pretty pleased with it. I had another play with Ultimate Racer on the train to work and tweaked that layout so it now has much more of an infield section. I also really tried to make sure that the two outer lanes which are going to be so fast round the outside of the track have a lot more 6 inch corners than the inner two lanes.

I'll post it up later. Hope I have enough track to make it!

I have 80 running cars plus a couple of spare bodyshells and Matchbox Powertrack cars which won't run on normal HO track.

It sounds like a lot but I'm never satisfied!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I did start when I was a little kid but I've still bought 30 odd cars since January this year when I got back into it. Scary really!

Here is the latest design I knocked up on the train. Is it over complicated?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's so much fun!

In the course of my tweaks it has lost some of the 6" corners for the outer lanes so the inner may still be a bit of a gutter but not by much.

I am having a blast! Been running everything from EAHORC Mega G and LifeLike T with silicones to a G+ Plus and a Magnatraction.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah I'm really looking forward to getting that installed!

There is one tiny problem which is going to be working out where to have the start/finish straight. Due to the amount of twists and turns I've put in to maximise the space, the only straight where the bridge will fit is that 9" one near the camera view point. Otherwise it'll be a turning start line. What do you think? I don't really want to change the layout too much as this one is really good to drive. And I'm running out of 6" bends! I could try and re-shape the bit before you get onto the outer ring so that the straight is there like before. It'll make that corner very interesting as you enter it with a 12", go onto a 15" and then would hit a 6".

It's staying up for a few days by the way...

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
With optical sensors it really needs to be on a straight. If a car is tail sliding (or barrel-rolling) across the start line, it may well trigger several lanes. Ideally, it needs to be far enough away from a corner for cars to have crashed plenty beforehand and cars that stay on are running in a straight line. The tail-sliding is particularly an issue for the pancake cars.

If you put the light sensors in a 9" straight you can experiment with the timing set up in various spots around the track - drive in one lane at a time and see if there are any ghost laps

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
FYI, somewhere on this forum there was a $100,000 custom Le Mans layout which had the S/F on one of the short straights near one long side of the track.
Also, Stan has had several layouts (lookup his name on the members list) where he too had the S/F on a short straight so that cars would slow down after a corner before going across the line.

If it would fit I would put the S/F on the medium straight with the red track colouring or on the short straight next to it. I think that is the one you were considering?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
QUOTE (sealevel @ 8 Jun 2011, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>FYI, somewhere on this forum there was a $100,000 custom Le Mans layout which had the S/F on one of the short straights near one long side of the track.
Also, Stan has had several layouts (lookup his name on the members list) where he too had the S/F on a short straight so that cars would slow down after a corner before going across the line.

If it would fit I would put the S/F on the medium straight with the red track colouring or on the short straight next to it. I think that is the one you were considering?

Cheers!

The one next to the short outer straight was there I originally wanted it. What'll do is shift the some of the tight corners from the hairpin to the other end of that straight. That should open it up enough to have the bridge there again.

I'll have a look at Stan's layouts. Thanks for the tip.

Stuck at work when I want to be at home playing!

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi Gareth, your track is really starting to take shape. As Evo said how many cars!!!! no wonder none of us can buy any, you've got them all
Just finished putting some more of my track together this too is starting to take shape.

Regards Leet

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi there,

The lap length is around 8.5 - 9m depending on the lane. That's not perfect as I changed the layout from the way I designed it. It's going to change a little again when I lay it out again. I've had to put it away as the missus wants the study back again!

Does mean I can work on lightening the table. I have everything now to put the permanent layout on the board. Just waiting for a multi tool which I'll have in a couple of weeks.

I do have a car buying addiction!

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not yet Jon. Just about to either buy or hire a circular saw and then I'll seperate the boards and start building the driver stations. Everything is here.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts