371 Posts
nice lloyd
thumbsup.gif

is that a mustang ? i cant make it out

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seeing Lloyd's Skoda RS 130 at Desmo reminded me that I got one too

which I gave up because I got tired of trying to smooth the rough printed surface

UJDCup.jpg

CemZLz.jpg

But now I found filler spray and thought to try it.

L84OED.jpg

What a difference.

Sprayed 3 layers and sanded 15 minutes with wet sanding paper..

lUz3OR.jpg

Baby blue color on top, was planning white, blue and red paint scheme like Lloyd but now I started to think Gulf Skoda maybe...

KRa9JI.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
It does Lloyd yes but for some reason I'm having troubles still with the body.

I don't know does the printed body sucking the paint through layers or what but there is something weird still going on.

After the first paint some cracks appeared

nf9bpi.jpg

I used the filler on printed wheels too and the result was smoothest rim lips ever and I have tried lot of things to get smooth wheel lips.

So at least the Skoda wheels looks nice but isn't that the case with Skoda's anyway---

I sanded the whole body, smoothed few spots and waited 7 days like the spray can advised before second attempt.

Result was smooth paint but same cracks after the paint started to dry.

One is the weird square on the roof, doesn't look like that on picture but square figure appears when the paint dries.

FYoha1.jpg

I'm not gonna paint the body for a third time but gonna try to hide the faults with decals.

Started to build a chassis for the funky Audi

PYvSwX.jpg

Frame was too long and I was about to through the cut piece to bin but then I thought that it looks like a bench upside down so...

0nE44V.jpg

·
Registered
371 Posts
waste not want not
thumbsup.gif

had similar problem with paint

think the filament sucks up the paint

just used multiple light coats and rubbed back problem areas with 'wet&dry'

obviously being careful not to overdo the paint and lose detail

but looking at the excellent quality of your previous examples , you will have already tried everything
biggrin.png

kev

Reactions: taskak

·
Registered
280 Posts
Going to HO scale...

CrbOyK.jpg

Well HO chassis is only thing I can think that would fit under this Fiat 500 body that Lloyd kindly sent me, thanks Lloyd for the challenge
biggrin.png

vSY7nt.jpg

Even those wheels looks too big but there is no smaller gears so...

I cut two Tyco chassis and glued them together to get the wheelbase right, original was too short.

There should be a way to amount the Peter's Mini guide to the chassis but not sure will this work at all

L8KeLN.jpg

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
One of my FIAT chassis Aki. This one is Micro Scalextric. I use these because they are easy to mount bodies to and have smaller gears. The wheels came from Gemini.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Light Blue Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Toy Wheel

Regards, Lloyd

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
working on the Fiat?
nice work so far!
I will post a picture of my Fiat a little later. been lying on the bench for a long time now. it will get a 3D printed chassis, like my Minis. wheelbase adjusted for the Fiat, which is even shorter than the Mini!

·
Registered
280 Posts
One of my FIAT chassis Aki. This one is Micro Scalextric. I use these because they are easy to mount bodies to and have smaller gears. The wheels came from Gemini.
Thanks Lloyd, I got both Tyco and MicroScalextric gears and chassis but somehow I thought that the gears are same size.

So I changed MicroScalextric crown gear to the Tyco chassis I'm working on and that way I was able to put MicroScalextric front tires to the rear.

Front tires are narrowed MicroScalextric front wheels.

Sn9Xsn.jpg

Modified Peter's Mini guide in place

9c9s9k.jpg

I was surprised how good the chassis runs with those old rubber tires.

Just in case this Fiat turns out to be really fast I added some wings for downforce

DllTe4.jpg

biggrin.png

361 - 380 of 418 Posts