SlotForum banner

what´s on your workbench? [1/43]

85816 Views 571 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  GRAH1
project Mini Sprint ... in the works for the ProNoMag

minisprint04.jpg

minisprint01.jpg

minisprint02.jpg

minisprint03.jpg

something went wrong on the wheelbase of the scratchbuilt chassis for the Mini Sprint.
so - correction works ...
and new ball bearings -finally found some with ABEC5 classisfication for 2mm axles, but sadly no flange.
nothing that can´t be dealt with ...
made a groove in the axle and one in the crown gear, a piece of copper wire will be added later, to secure the crown gear from slipping on the axle
See less See more
Reactions: 3
481 - 500 of 572 Posts
The Porsches look great Aki! I'm still a long way from that. I think 2 of my Porsches don't get repainted because they have a nice patina.
The Artin F1 is almost ready. Clear coat is still missing. I also had to make some experiences again: Clear coat, for example, is not always compatible with decals... As a result, I then had to repair a few things regarding the decals.

The fin of one of the three Porsches has now been repaired. Still needs to be sanded into shape. This Porsche will be completely repainted and also gets different decals. I couldn't find the original ones.

See less See more
Reactions: 4
Thanks Marc.

F1 car looks great.
Most clear coats are too hot and they ruin decals.
If you got extra decals from the sheet you're using you can apply them to piece of plastic and test how they react before clear coat
First layers should be very very thin.
Future Pledge floor wax was used widely to cover decals but it was unfortunately discontinued last year.
There is other brands too but they don't seem to have the same shine.
You can brush floor wax over the decals first and then use clear coat too.
I used Patto's decals on all my cars but shipping from Australia is rather expensive nowadays.

The car you're repainting is 917K from 1971 but the decal sheet on the picture is for 1970 Le Mans pole car 917LH.
So not correct but if it's ok to you then it's fine
See less See more
Reactions: 1
This is very interesting information, thank you! I have the feeling that the decals mostly withstood the clear coat. It becomes problematic when the decal is not completely attached to the object and then clear coat comes under the decal. As a result, I had to redo 2 decals on the Artin. But the rest survived. The final coat of clear coat will come tomorrow afternoon. We'll see... I just finished building the first Slotdevil chassis for a Porsche 917. That looks damn sexy :love:
First try of WASP paint stand

Not creating Don Johnson Ferrari but layer of white paint under red paint makes the red look a lot brighter.

Painted the loose AMG Merc body too once I started messing with new air brush.
Very old ZeroPaints were still good but old airbrush wasn't.
Picked new one from hardware store and was about to throw the second case to bin but started thinking there could be another use for it.
So I made this sheet from foam board...

Painted the sheet black and got a nice display case for smaller cars, so here is Renault collector box :D

See less See more
Very exciting posts, chaps. A wonderful collection. Many thanks.
The Artin F1 is finished and has already been driven extensively by my 5-year-old son. 😨
The Porsche 917K from 1971 got 2 foam rubber strips and its chassis. It's really interesting to set everything up properly. It has already completed its first laps on the track. The first car without a magnet is really an experience. The body is now being restored aaaaand I found the correct decals now Aki 😁 Next month the second chassis will come...

thumbnail_IMG_9881.jpg

And another project has started: Thanks to Peter, my dream car will have an adapted chassis, which is now being completed. The car will be a 1959 Citroen ID 19 in Blue Monte Carlo with brown trumpets and an unpainted roof. This is my dream car in 1:1 scale and is now also being built in 1:43.

See less See more
Good morning. Does anyone happen to know if there are wheel inserts for 10mm rims that look similar to the original?

(source: Porsche Legends of the RaceTrack - Porsche AG)
See less See more
Reactions: 2
I used Peter's desinged printed inserts from Shapeways on this car

You can get printed chassis for 917 too from there.
Similar Super Champion body than yours.

Ask Peter to scale the inserts to right size
See less See more
Creating spare tire illusion

Adding headlight by using map pin.

Sanded the pin head to right size and shape and glued model light to it.
Then drilled a hole with pin vice through the body and glued the pin from the bottom.
Then cut off the extra pin when the glue is dry.

See less See more
nice work on the fake tire, Aki!

working on some beetles ...
See less See more
Really nice work with the headlights too Aki. I will try to copy that idea with the map pins for the Porsche 917 headlights. The original headlights on the "Super Champion" models really don't look nice. The 917K on the right side is the one with the broken fin from above. Just have to apply clear coat to finish it.
See less See more
Mean looking Beetles you got there Peter.

Nice job with paint and decals Marc, looks sharp.
Assembled another pfuetze universal chassis for ff050 motor.

For Jaguar XJ220

This model kit has been waiting for it's turn for long long time but now I found Jaguar Silverstone green paint so now it's time to convert it.
Removed lot of resin from inside and got the body weight down to 17g.

See less See more
After reading this week ends pro no mag report I thought I would have a go at building a test car for next year , so after a quick search through my bits box I found a dismantled Carera Go Peugeot 206 which I'd used the motor from . I quickly cut out the chassis to accept a generic 18k ff slim can .removed the magnet and hot glued it in place .
As the rules require a swivel guide I opened the front screw hole to take a Scalextric guide . The front body mount was removed to clear the guide and will probably relocated behind the rear of the guide .I also had to cut the front of the chassis to clear the guide .
.The inside of the body had the sides sanded and any lugs removed to allow movement of the body I sanded and treated the tyres and then gave it a track test . to check it went the right way .
As a bench mark I chose to use a Carrera Go ferrari F1 as It was already mag free and had the pin giude slimmed to allow use on Scalex sport track .. The best time I could manage wit the Ferrari was 10.95 which isn't bad for a low powered small car around my track .
The Peugeot turned in a best lap of 9.83 , So I was quite pleased with the development so far .
My next step is to add an under tray and refine the method of body mount .
The Peugeot is lacking a little top speed compared to its bigger scale cousins as it is still on the standard Carrera gearing which I will change as it develops . .
So far the car carries no weight and still has normal front tyres instead of low friction ones . '
Please comment as I've never strayed into this scale seriously although I have built many very competitive small 1/32 cars in the past ., Can any one tell me what the standard gearing on these carrera go cars is as my old eyes are struggling to count the tiny teeth .?
Computer Laptop Input device Space bar Personal computer
Computer Laptop White Black Input device

Computer Personal computer Laptop Peripheral Input device

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle
See less See more
nice start, Graham!

gearing - with this motor and the expected weight, i would go for an 8/20 gearing.
stock go! gearing is 8/32
Thanks Peter I have some suitable gears.This car is currently peaking slightly over 2 /3 of the way down the main straight.What is the length of your main straight?
including the entering turn and the exit turn, the front side measures 6.3m
the straight itself should come down to app. 5m
Thanks mine is about 4 m and the lap length about 65 ft
This morning I added a small amount of weight under the car ,only about 2-3 g to see if it helped and I managed a fast lap of 9.18 which was very good average times are currently in the 9.40 region . So I will make a proper rattle plate and reduce the body weight with light windows and spend some time thinning the plastic as well , Main issue is a bit of play in the guide which I sort out as very rarely on a fast exit its flicking out of the slot when on the limit ,and I know I can stop this with a little attention to the pivot and the guide depth . I didn't mention before but the track runs on automotive battery power13.8 v so there is always sufficient and no slow spots.
Once I am satisfied the Peugeot is at full development I can then use it as a bench mark for a race car for next years pro no mag .
See less See more
you can send the Peugeot here for some test laps, if you like. just include return shipping and the deal is done :)
be sure to have enough guide rotation angle, as the rear of the cars like to step out of line in the fast esses.
i´m already curious about your development.
481 - 500 of 572 Posts