what´s on your workbench? [1/43]

103K views 726 replies 35 participants last post by  pfuetze 
#1 ·
project Mini Sprint ... in the works for the ProNoMag

minisprint04.jpg

minisprint01.jpg

minisprint02.jpg

minisprint03.jpg

something went wrong on the wheelbase of the scratchbuilt chassis for the Mini Sprint.
so - correction works ...
and new ball bearings -finally found some with ABEC5 classisfication for 2mm axles, but sadly no flange.
nothing that can´t be dealt with ...
made a groove in the axle and one in the crown gear, a piece of copper wire will be added later, to secure the crown gear from slipping on the axle

See less See more
#511 ·
Latest development ,Experimental car # 2 .While visiting an antique shop I found in a box of scrap die casts what I thought was a die cast 1/43 scale Porsche 917 in a sorry state with a broken fin. I thought I could make a mould from it and vac form a shell from it . However it turned out to be a plastic shell with a very heavy base . so Ive just done a straight conversion using Scalex HO chassis as a motor pod with traction mags removed and a styrene under tray glued and screwed in place . For the rear axle I enlarged the chassis holes and reamed out the contrate to fit a 3/32 axle. Rear tyres are sponge on some aluminium hubs ..Guide flag is an old scalex type .Front tyres are Scalex HO stretched onto the original 1/43 hubs .Its all just experimental at the moment but it flys round .I will repaint the shell when the weather improves but for now it makes a good practice car while I develop others .
Computer Personal computer Input device Peripheral Netbook
Computer Personal computer Touchpad Netbook Laptop
Computer Personal computer Netbook Laptop Input device
Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Peripheral
Computer Laptop Personal computer Input device Peripheral
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

#512 ·
Nice work Graham. I have used Micro Scalextric chassis as pods in 1/43 for some time.

I find it interesting that you reamed the rear end out to take a 3/32 axle. I have always used a 1/16 axle and have sometimes found that they did not run free straight off. What gears did you use?

#515 ·
Track tests of the 917 are very promising ,its lapping consistently about a half second quicker than the Peugeot and will go faster when I sort the grip level out . Currently it is running on old sponge tyres which are very much past their best ,I will prepare some soft rubber ones and some new sponge so I can do back to back tests . A deeper guide will also make it a little more less likely to de slot .It can be pushed very hard but once or twice on fast exits from corners it has lifted its nose and desloted

#516 ·
Good morning. I finished the body of the Rossi Porsche. Last problem was that Super Champion models don't have engine covers. As far as I know, Porsche 917s didn't have "open" engines. So I made a cardboard cover, painted it and added the correct decals. Now the chassis has to be procured and the correct wheel inlets have to be made.

Then I screwed the DS together. The rear rims are going to be really interesting. I had to cut off the screw flange so that the rims would even fit under the body.

#521 ·
Hi Cameron,

the black one came from facebook, from italy, 3D printed and expensive.
the white one is resin casted by Tilo
the gray one is 3D resin printed from France and is for a proxy race in Hamburg late summer (August?).
the proxy race in Hamburg is for "VW Käfer" with some restrictions. the black one will not fullfill the requirements, the white one yes, but there will be around 8 of the grey "fun cup beetle" bodies.

#522 ·
Nice work Peter, wonder will that two motor AWD chassis work better than what I tried on Lambos.

Something not so serious for a change.
Picked this flexi trax truck from flea market for 1€.

Artin chassis had correct wheelbase so decided to use one, after all the truck looks it could be Artin.
Added bigger side pans for body mounting.

Carrera GO F1 wheels, had a pair of Ortmann tires so used those, Micro Scalextric box motor, SCX pinion, 2.38 front axle eliminates axle play and pfuetze mini guide.

#523 ·
the truck is great, Aki!
nice chassis adaption!

for the running qualities of the DSW-chassis - i ´m not expecting it to be record breaking fast.
BUT i like the handling of the FWD Mini.
and the DSW chassis - hey, i ´m just curios how it will handle.
i built 2GM4WD - 2 goldmine G9330 motor (38000@12V) chassis year before, one motor for rear axle, one for the front.
i handled nice, but was not any faster or better handling as a standard inliner car (at that time).
but with the different handling of the sidewinder setup ( i remember your car from the ProNoMag!!) i want to try it.

#525 ·
Latest build is a die cast Porsche 996? I've cut the original under pan and glued a micro scalex chassis in as a pod I enlarged the axle holes to take a 332 axle , Original gear also reamed to fit . Currently on Carrera Impreza rear wheels but these will be changed later to match the fronts . So far it runs well However I plan to vac form a shell from the original .
Computer Hood Input device Personal computer Peripheral

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Computer Laptop Personal computer Peripheral Netbook

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

#527 ·
Currently as it's not finished and the body has opening doors two small pieces of tape through the doors to the chassis but until I get round to making a vac form shell I will add a new post inside.The original front mount was easy to remove with the frame .I need to add some bracing to the rear mount then I can cut away the plastic under the axle so I can remove it easily

#529 ·
Some ortman tyres arrived for the Peugeot around the middle of last week but due to real life getting in the way today was the first chance I had to try them . Now I've been very happy with the grip I have obtained from the standard rubber ones after treating them but I did experience a little slippage on the rims as they were not glued onto the rims du to having ordered the ortmans and I wanted to do a comparison . . Any way I swapped them over and did a few laps with the Ortmans and the grip was very good ,Not as good as rubber with treatment but consistent lap times in the high 9s were easily obtained , rubber gives consistent mid 9s .but for a proxy car the Ortmans need less maintainance .. . There are still one or two things I will do to this car to get it on the pace of the rubber shod version ..I think this project has been succesfull to create a bench mark for my competition cars to aim for .

#531 ·
Just got back to testing the die cast porsche . The surprising thing is it seems better with the heavy body than the bare chassis being much more drivable .However once I cast a resin body or make a vacform I will add a rattle plate and get the weight where it will do more good .It is quite a pleasant drive though but due to the hi c of g it is about 1 sec per lap behind the Peugeot and 2 ses behind the 917 which is on the pace of some of my 1/32 cars , How it will be on urathanes or rubber remains to be seen I suspect maybe 1/2 a sec slower than the sponge . I'm waiting for some silicon and casting resin arriving so I can get on with the messy process of body making .

#533 ·
I received my silicon and resin for my body mould from MB fibre glass today . A very excellent service .and a good price too .I wont get chance to make the mould until Monday as I have to play at a festival in the Yorkshire Dales this week end and wont be fit to do any thing till then . I'm getting too old for Rock n Roll ? (no I'm not !!!!!) First ones will be the Porsche and maybe a Dodge Viper If I have enough silicon I will also make some tyre moulds
Fibreglass Supplies | Silicone Moulding Rubber | Casting and Polyester Resins - mbfg.co.uk