SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some (old) threads discussing power supplies, but I think it is about time for a refresher. So I am creating this thread in hope it will help newbies like myself to get some more info on power supplies. Links to old posts (even threads) that are still relevant are much appreciated. A summary of the topic(s) in the thread/post you are linking to would be brilliant.

Suggestion for things to address:

• What powerbase(s) do you use in your setup ? C7042, ARC PRO older equipment?
  • Modded/unmodded? What mods and why (power related mods)?
  • What third party power supply do you use? (Exact make and model, please, for people searching in other countries using mighty Google)
  • Why do you use this power supply? Pros/cons?
  • Link to where the power supply can be bought, if it still exists. Or equivalent alternatives with links?
  • Relevant plugs that can be used, so you do not have to cut off the wires on the official Scalextric power supplies.
    • E-Bay links?
  • Do you power your lane changes from the same power supply? (Can you even or need a separate power supply?)
  • Some mention Toshiba laptop power supplies as a cheap way to power your equipment with some nice continuous power.
  • What type/model of power supply is this?
  • Any links?
  • Other cheap/not so cheap ways to keep the power flowing smoothly into a long track?

Anything else I have forgotten? I suspect there are lots....

Thanks for reading!

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
If its a long track then the power supply is irrelevant, you need to get good continuity all round, and that normally means using jumper leads

There is a Toshiba PSU that uses the same connector as APB/ARC Pro, its 15V and 4A

Powering lane changers separately is old hat and really dates back to the C7030 that didn't have enough grunt

There is no point in getting a bigger power supply unless your powerbase has been modified. APB will only put out ~8A if unmodified, even if you you use a 30A PSU.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Short and concise and negating the countless hours I have spent browsing through old posts trying to figure out if I should invest in a separate power supply.
Thanks, Riko!

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Other cheap/not so cheap ways to keep the power flowing smoothly into a long track
Either:

• run power taps for each rail (x4) in a star configuration from the power base to strategic places around the track where power drops
  • or run a power bus under the track and take feeds from that where you need them
  • also adjoining track pieces can be soldered or joined together to help with continuity

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Buy the 15v Toshiba power supplies not the 19v - they use different size connectors as well as supplying different voltages.

When I committed to my track design I soldered jumper wires between every single track piece. To make it easier to handle I created sections by making some jumpers pluggable. Connectivity is perfect but changing track design would be a major pain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its a long track then the power supply is irrelevant, you need to get good continuity all round, and that normally means using jumper leads

There is a Toshiba PSU that uses the same connector as APB/ARC Pro, its 15V and 4A

Powering lane changers separately is old hat and really dates back to the C7030 that didn't have enough grunt

There is no point in getting a bigger power supply unless your powerbase has been modified. APB will only put out ~8A if unmodified, even if you you use a 30A PSU.
Is my memory fritzed or was there something about an external power supply providing regulated or continuous power, which the Hornby official power supplies do not do? I am reading the listing for the power supplies listed on Pendleslot it sounds like it will provide more stable (in lack of a better word) power, but that might be marketing mumbo jumbo?

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
All any power supply does is give power to the APB C7042, the APB then deals with what voltage is sent around the track. It's quite forgiving and the Toshiba supplies work great (been using them for 4+ yrs), trust me...

You need two power supplies for APB for analogue or if you're running more than 3 cars digital.

The Hornby power supplies are huge and stupidly expensive for what they are, avoid them...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have three of the Hornby power supplies. Got them as part of used sets I have bought. I am looking to slow down the max speed of the track to avoid my son smashing our cars every time we race, or more specifically, in between races when I do not have RMS turning down the power. I understand adjusting the voltage down is a decent way to achieve that.
But to defend the cost I need something besides this.

·
Greg Gaub
14,790 Posts
You won't be able to turn the voltage down enough for him to not crash because the base will shut down if you go too low, like less than 11v. 11v is more than enough to crash most cars. The only solution I can think of is to make some cars specifically for him by replacing the motor with a much slower one (ScaleAuto used to make some 10k motors that fit Scalextric and other cars that use the same form factor motors) and/or by adding magnets to a car with really great tires.

·
ParrotGod
7,899 Posts
Unless you do the powermod on your APB the best option is what Portal is suggesting....or not let your kid play with your toys if he is smashing them :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good suggestions. I guess I will not be getting a third party power supply then. :-D

By setting the limitation on the ID on the C7042 it will only work when I have the LCD screen connected right? I guess another option, that I read somewhere is to turn off power when in menu in the RMS and just use a very long practice race for when the kids are just playing around.

·
ParrotGod
7,899 Posts
The reduction of power through the RMSs is not only for kids.

I regularly use for newby to mid-tier racers: less power allows them to enjoy more the race given that they stay more into the slot.

I also use for simulating BoP (like in GT3) or Success Ballast (like in DTM).

It adds to another level of enjoyment.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
By setting the limitation on the ID on the C7042 it will only work when I have the LCD screen connected right?
You don't need the LCD Tower for day-to-day use (it's only a 'display' but don't bin it, it's required for a few crucial config settings).

As long as you're using the C7042 whatever you setup config-wise will remain when you switch it off then on again. So any controller settings, pace car settings etc. will persist (non-volatile memory)!
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
In the APB C7042 you can choose what %age power to allocate to a controller ID so just dial down to say 50% for younger users.
I'd like to comment here about throttle settings in Scalextric ARC to give a problem issue some attention:

While dialing down the throttle to 50% does work when the cars are racing, right after the race is finished I believe full throttle is restored to all cars, and and the kid's car flies off the track.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but so far I think this is what I have noticed, and it's a problem for younger users - and it would be great to have this problem fixed.

I will now try out the "Magic ARC app" v1.5.9 and see if the throttle settings stay, or if the throttle settings only exist from the race start to the race finish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think all the RMSs provision for reduction in power to cater for children
Aha - I see there has already been some discussion about "kids mode" - there really isn't a kids mode - once the race is finished, the kids are given 100% power it seems.

I'm just getting into this forum and I'll do more searching.

Regarding using a variable power supply to reduce voltage for younger kids:

So far I am not so sure I can use a variable power supply with my Scalextric ARC PRO Digital system. I may try it and see if I can bring voltage down, and if it helps to make a "kid mode" - but actually one of the main reasons I purchased this system was that I figured I would be able to digitally attenuate the throttles for a "kids mode" and it is turning out that this does not work in a useful way - once the race is finished, the kids are given 100% power it seems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts