SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

Last friday I stood in the Slot-shop and I was searching for something special... in the end I bought me a Fly/GB-Track M.A.N. truck... but I was also admiring the old Lotus'ses of MG-Vanquish... I love those 1:1 cars... race-car-history just glows from them...

Now the question is: Are they good? Are they fun to race? Or are they just very nice modelled shelf-queens? If you guy got any expercience with them... let me know...

Some pictures:

G.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They are lovely cars - no doubt of that.
But until there is an absolutely firm concensus that the differential gear problem has been truly FIXED (by the manufacturer), I won't be buying any. I'd love to own a few, even turning a blind eye to the overscale aspects of VMG. But I refuse to spend my money on cars that can really only be compared with other cars from the same manufacturer and over which a question mark on reliability will forever hang until the differential question has been definitively answered.
Still gorgeous lookers though.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have one, it is gorgeous tho overscale and a tad chubby.

Truing the tyres is very difficult - but vital if only to remove the mold line down the middle of the tyres - due to the differential. You may need to glue mirrors and things on - they were loose on mine, possibly to allow racers to remove them.

The front wing is VERY fragile, mine broke after a short amount of time in a low speed off.

It drives very smoothly and nicely once set up (which for me also involved filing away some of the inside of the chair, so that the top half sat propperly on the bottom half). But there are no cars of the same scale (1;29?) and era for it to race against.

So saddly mine is mainly a shelf ornament, tho I do take it for a spin and eagerly await a competitor

One persons opinion

Dave

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
've got 4 VMG cars with the first one being the red racing version ie this is the earliest model I have of theirs. I've had no problems with the diff on any of them and I have not done anything to the diff on any of the last 3 models. I took the diff apart on the racer version and glued it and have had no problems with it either. I've lost/ruined plenty more fly and ninco gears in the same time frame

Matt

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Thea are also definately oversized, coming in at around 1/28 scale. However when run together (and they do this WELL!) that hardly matters.

I have had no problems with the Differentials on any but the first I bought and am convinced that the magnet downforce causes the problem (hard breaking effect stripping the small gears), although the weak design of the diff' certainly contributes. I can see no difference between the first diffs and those on the latest cars so would say they haven't been changed but I could be wrong.

I would suggest that if you are running with the magnet and you have Scalextric Classic or Ninco track systems (raised metal runners) then you could have problems (OR if you add more magnets) other than that they are fine, just remember a new Differential costs almost as much as the initial outlay for the car so a point worth bearing in mind.
You can always change the rear axle assembly for slot.It or similar parts anyway.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I agree with Swiss and Matt. Running them together makes sense. I would be interested in anyones view regarding the diff. Does it give an advantage, after all they have gone to some trouble to make these. I`m ok on the theory etc, just wondered if members have experienced the improvement for real.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 4 VMG cars - 2 lotus GP and 2 McLaren M8Ds

I originally had Scalextric Sport track and found they did not run well - very little grip.

Now I have changed to Ninco track they are excellent. No problems with the diff. and the GP cars are among the fastest I own - just be careful with high speed de-slots because the rear wings have snaped off on both of them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive bought the Vanquish Mclaren and IMHO bought it for its looks and heard all about the split diff thinking that makes sense. Admittedly ive only run it at home and was sorely disappointed with its performance or lack of.
Tried alsorts to get it running better on the advice of people here and just couldnt get it going to anything like i would have expected.
My advice buy 2 then at least they have competition

Its now a lovely shelf queen sat there looking at the all the other slot cars racing like Thomas the tank engine watching Gordon when his engine broke.
God i need to get out more

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Good point about the difference in track. This is a major factor in assessing the performance of any car and should not be taken lightly because of the masive difference between makes and routed surfaces too.

I was refering to running on Ninco in my earlier post:thumbsup:

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Unique looking cars in terms of detail for the price. Excellent new range of Classic F1 coming out. However, I'll never touch one due to all of the bad feedback about rear differential transmission problems and the immense cost of replacement. cars cost 35GBP-ish and diffs cost 20GBP-ish each. That's simply daft for a dodgy part by design.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have two F1 and a MacLaren kit ( unbuilt ); on our Ninco track the F1 are great runners and until now, with careful driving, we had no damage at all; they look great and are a pleasure to own, as many other good models nobody would risk to break on the track, but at a far lesser price.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mmm...

I think I'm going to spend my money on an other car...

Thanks for your opinions...

G.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is the first actual pic of the GP3 Walker Racing model that I have seen and I have to say that I am dissapointed. After seeing the adverts I was going to make it my first ever Vanquish purchase but now that I have seen this pic I am not so sure. In particular I was hoping for re-worked front wings to match the original but this just looks like a re-livery of the base model. Not sure about the position of the rear wing either, it looks too far back.

G

·
My personal opinion is, I like the F1 Lotus it runs really well and I have had no diff problems as I took time to re build it. First thing to do is pack it out with grease then glue the two cups that hold the diff together with a small amount of Super Glue. Super Glue you say? yes I know you can't open the diff again but if it goes bang you have to buy a new one anyway unless they start selling the individual parts then I'll be eating my words.

I have tried gluing the diff together as a fix when I broke my first car and it runs better than the diff version!! I run the cars on my Ninco track plenty of grip unlike Sport track which has it's pros and cons.

I know they have a 'scale' issue but but if you use wide screen then they look fine!

Dome

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, many people have had zero problems with the diffs, sometimes by carrying out their own 'fixes', sometimes perhaps by luck or lighter conditions of usage. I simply refuse to buy a brand new ANYTHING that requires ME to fix a manufacturers problem before I dare to actually use it.

I have yet to see an official acknowledgement from VMG that the problem ever existed, let alone a statement that it has been fixed. Let's face it, they have to acknowledge it was a faulty design before they can fix it!

Lots of opinions, in print but I won't buy one until there is a definitive statement from a totally trustworthy source in which I can have confidence.

For information, I believe the diff's crown wheel alone can be obtained for less than half the price of a complete diff, but that's not good enough to change my mind. Even if complete replacement diffs were provided at NO charge, ad infinitum (Oh sure, very likely!), it still wouldn't induce me to buy one.
Simply not worth the hassle - MUCH as I like the cars otherwise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lots of varying opinions here.
I've just acquired the #5 McLaren M8B. Though certainly not the fastest car in the Lugnuts fleet, definitely a blast drive. I'm no expert, but it's my belief that lubing of the diff is essential.

Cheers,

Johnny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts