SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question is ask by every newby, so I might as well ask. What is a good car to start with? There are so many choices and configurations. (1/32 seems to be where I'm heading)This is my first step into a new hobby so I have no tendencies or loyalties to any one manufacturer or style of car, I would like a car that can be modified as the need for better equipmnet rises. I don't mind an intial investment for a better car rather then replace it entirly.

I realize this is pretty vague but any help is well appriciated..

Jim

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Hi Jim, welocme to SlotForum

Unfortunately everything depends on everything else!

Do you want your car for home use or competive racing at a club?

What surfaces are the track you are using?

Will you be running with or without magnets?

My reccomendation would be a car from Slot.It, as they run well on pretty much anything, and are one of the most competitive cars to race. Enjoyable too for home use. They perform very well indeed, especially without magnets.

Slot.It cars run very well standard, and dont need to be modified that much. However, the chassis construction is very versatile and swapping or adding parts would be not cause problems.

At the moment, Slot.It produce two cars, the Audi R8c and Porsche 956. A 962 is around the corner, and a Nissan R390 and Sauber C9 are promissed in the near future.

Good luck!

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Hi and welcome
you dont say if it is for home or club racing also magnet or non magnet so lets just asume for now its a good allround car your looking for basicaly there are about 4 choices The slot it audi , slotit porsche , the spirit reynard (racer version) and the fly porsche gt1 racer any of these will give you a good start at club level and be fast enough for any home sets . The slotit porsche is probably the best option and is easily upgradable using slotit spares ,down side it is a bit fragile and the periferals can be knocked off in accidents also the guide hole is prone to breakage in a heavy shunt. The fly racer is also a good option and takes a knock better but comes with out the magnet option and has poorer gears ..Hope this helps if you give us a few more details perhaps we can help more with your choice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will deffinetly start with a home track with the intention to move up to a more competitive environment. I am not familiar with all of the rules or how many sanctioning bodies there are governing the cars. So I'm trying to come up to speed quickly. The hobby looks like great fun. I have been in the RC hobby for awhile with know idea as to the popularity of Slots. I will check out each recommendation. When it comes to racing with magnets I can only assume that the additional road holding is offset by gearing and torquer motor. Are magnets legal to race or just for home use? I'm sure I will have tons more questions, so when I become a nuisance let me know.

Cheers;
Jim

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
If you havent already bought a set then browse the forum there are a few threads allready on choice of sets for beginers a lot depends on what space you have ,my own preference is carrera as the track is rigid and has a deep slot an the stainless steel rails are less magnetic than the other makes .On the club thing some clubs allow magnetraction some dont theres a lot of debate about the use of mags in slot racing I think they do have a place in the novice classes but they can lead to heavy accidents as the cars are moving a lot faster when they do deslot but a good magnetraction car is a hell of a buzz on the track.Most serious competion is done with out.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
hi mark ll where are you based? if there is a club near you the forum will put you intouch, you can have a look at club racing, you will have your home track, then you can make a choise. i dont think you will go far wrong with the cars grah 1 points to, with the gt1 you would do well to change the gears to slot it to start with, as the one,s fitted dont last long, best of luck mac p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey mac p,
I from the Baltimore, Maryland Area. I haven't looked for any clubs nearby. Any info would be appreciated.

Jim

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Hi Jim,
Living in the US I'll assume you're looking for a good home track. (I live in North Carolina).
If so, I would consider one of three; either a Scalextric Sport, Ninco or Carrera.
A lot has to do with the amount of space you can devote to your track and whether it will be permanent or not.
Carrera is the widest track and has the deepest slot, but the track is more brittle than the flexible track of Scaley or Ninco - not good if you're going to be setting it up on the floor and taking it apart often - not much of an issue if your circuit will be permanent. It also has a smoother track surface and rails that are less magnetic and less prone to rust. You can run 1/32 and 1/24 cars on Carrera track. If you have the space you may want to consider Carrera.
Ninco is what I decided upon. At the time Scalextric Sport did not yet exist (there was only what we refer to now as Scaley Classic). I liked the extra width of the track, the deep slot and the fact that it, like Scaley, the track is somewhat flexible. The track surface is the roughest of the three and I have to say in my opionion that is one of the system's biggest drawbacks. Some slotters like the extra grip, but I prefer to slide around the curves.
Scalextric has been around for a long time. There new Sport track is not quite as wide or rough as Ninco's, but can be configured in more ways as at this time there is a larger variety of track pieces. It is, however, wider than the older Scaley Classic track. I like the new border sections too.
So which track is best? The jury is still out. What are considered by some as benefits are looked upon by others as flaws. It all has to do with your own personal preferences. But don't fret - you won't go wrong with either brand.

You are coming into the hobby at an interesting time as new digital sets are entering the market. You may want to consider one of them in lieu of the above mentioned analog sets. So far Scalextric, Carrera and SCX have released digital sets. Ninco should be releasing their digital sets in early 2005. I won't get into all of that here. There have been a ton of threads regarding the virtues of each and anticipation of future products on this site under the "digital" section.

Hope this helps,
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Today has been a great learning experience. Graham & Gary thanks for the Slot It advice the cars look great and have me in the right direction. Steve & Graham thanks for the track advice. I have been reading some threads on the digital vs analog. I'm going to wait another year to see if digital really becomes the main stream, so I might go with the scaley for upgrade purposes. Does carrera have the same upgradeabilty? I like the banked curves of Carrera for a different look in the layout. As my layout develops I will keep you guys in the loop. I'm sure I will have a ton on track/scenery questions.

Thanks to all;

Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jim

Look for a club locally! I can help

There's a VERY active club in the Balto / DC / southern PA area. We race a lot, and have a large variety of tracks available. Visitors are ALWAYS welcome, and we have lots of loaner cars available to try out before you buy anything. Here's a ling to our website... http://p208.ezboard.com/binterstatehomeslotracingclub

Ping me with an email and I'll be glad to discuss all you want. heck, come on over and play cars anytime you're free (I have an 82' 4 lane routed track in the basement)

Jim

subdude AT adelphia.net

QUOTE (Mark ll @ 8 Dec 2004, 20:13)Thanks to all for the replies. Today has been a great learning experience. Graham & Gary thanks for the Slot It advice the cars look great and have me in the right direction. Steve & Graham thanks for the track advice. I have been reading some threads on the digital vs analog. I'm going to wait another year to see if digital really becomes the main stream, so I might go with the scaley for upgrade purposes. Does carrera have the same upgradeabilty? I like the banked curves of Carrera for a different look in the layout. As my layout develops I will keep you guys in the loop. I'm sure I will have a ton on track/scenery questions.

Thanks to all;

Jim
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts