SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you give your oppinion about the best car with magnet without any kind of modification ?

Do you have any lap times compare ?

What kind of modification could you do to turn your car better then the car you consider the best without modification (with magnet) ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Fly Viper.
Can't remeber the comparison lap times off the top of my head, but as a bone-stock mag car, it's the fastest I've driven.

The front-engined layout seems to be best for magnetcars, as the weight of the motor overthe guide keeps it in the slot, and the high-downforce, low wieght rear-end has a lot of traction and doesn't want to "wag".

The viper's quicker than the other fly Gts of similar layout becaus it has a much lower mounting for the magnet. It's also lighter than the BMW, Lister and Corvette, because it doesn't have as much detail.

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Fly Lola B98, in my opinion. Fast straight out of the box, pretty good stock tyres, and very light in weight. Around my own track an absolutely stock B98 has run a 3.86, and the quickest modded cars are usually doing 3.6s, or thereabouts. If you have a good power supply where you race, it can be made to go faster with a Slot.it V12/2b, or you could try the black Motorola version which comes with a Fly Racing motor as standard. Good luck!

Mooster

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
box stock TVR's can be just as quick as vipers as I prooved last night, beating one by 2 hundedths of a second!

I still dont know what I did to it??!! it's completely box stock! ask 3.9! we couldnt believe it!

well I had it down to 9.3 and said ooh thats good, 3.9 is a little intrigued I said ooh, I reakon I can get into the 8's, I did! 8.998 so then 3/9 got his viper out, 8.8, my go tenth or so faster than viper, viper back out, 8.6 I thinks.. damn! game over, there doesnt seem much left.. bang! 8.63 compared to 3.9's 8.65.

couldnt quite believe it, but I do believe that that is quicker than the merc CLK dtm... listening moped? eh?

Rob.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The only car I ever needed to ban at Phoenix cos it was too far out in front was the Fly race prepared (magnet) Porsche GT. This is not so easy to find now and tends to strip it`s rear axle quite easily but it`s awesome! Makes the others mentioned above look like they are going backwards and it destroys totaly the Viper which, under pressure will always tip out in ultra tight curves like our `bus Stop`.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That`s the best aspect of having a `Bus Stop` as you point out you can make your lanes more equal.Ffabulous racing feature too.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
You've had a selection of good cars. Difficult to do better, but perhaps you can. Look at the two photos at the top of the screen. Slot.it Audi R8C an Porsche 965.

·
Registered
392 Posts
We have GBTrack Chevrons : they are already fast out of the box, but after changing the motor ( Scaleauto 35000 ), rear axle/ wheels and tyres ( slot.it ) and gears (10/34 or 36), they are untouchable!
Ciao

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about the new Scalextric Renault F1, out-of-the-box?

I'm not a big fan of Fly cars (they often require too much work to be good runners) so I don't have a Viper or Lola to test but the stock Renault F1 I got before Christmas is the fastest car in my over 200 cars stable.

I run on Classic track and that may make a difference.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well if your going to modify and your track will allow it, any old low scalex car witha brown mag, rip everything out, slot it axle, ortmann tyres, 35k scaleauto motor, Mrrc bar mag the think one, screw it back up on the track and start waving bye bye

dont rate the lola at all, even my scalex TVR will lap quicker than my R8 and I spent loadsa time prepping my R8 956 is no different

Rob.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How strange, here the Flyracing motor is considered nothing, and all of us change it quickly; have you a secret to make it faster? We have a Ninco six lane track at the club with long straights.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
A `Bus Stop` feature is so called because of it`s shape. It pulls cars sharply to the left or right, then back again sharply before continuing in a straight line. If you arrange your track so that cars enter this at different stages you can equal up your lanes. It doesn`t look complete until you fill the gaps between lanes with wood or similar, then paint to disguise.

One of the problems when a person asks an open ended question on what races well is that there are so many track,power,controller and rule differences used by us all that it difficult to compare. Phoenix races on Ninco with mainly box standard cars and sure flow 21 Volt power, we all tend to use parma or similar controllers....in this situation the Fly porsche is superb.

I am in favour of racing rules which allow for mainly box standard cars because it provides for a level playing foeld and you can`t buy success. In this mode those with a low budget can take part fairly, meaning that the maniacs that spend loads don`t run away with it. It is also easier to scrutinise cars to make sure we are all playing fair!!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That`s just not right. We have been running a lot higher than that for three years now, four times a week and I can`t remember the last time I changed a motor. Truth is that some of the least popular motors like the SCX RX 41 go better with a little more power so that we see a greateer variety of cars on the grid.

I`m talking about a club circuit now where doing is everything and opinions are based on much experience and not theory. We are blessed with a number of club members who are electronics experts in Industry (Cirrus Engineering and Hymatic Defence Systems for example )and they have never let us down.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
You didn't say whether the car is for home or club use, or what sort of track you're using? On my scaley sport home track I like the Fly Lola B98 and the Scalextric MG Lola. They're both quick out of the box and with a little work can be made even quicker.
I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert but I've just done a piece for my own website about tuning these two cars. If it's any help to you go My Webpage. There's also comparitive laptimes for a dozen or more cars.

Rob

·
Phil B.
3,763 Posts
On THE Aberstone track the Fly Viper with a mid mounted NC3 and scalex magnet reigns supreme, the 86 feet covered in 5.204 seconds. Lap record , however is an SCX Audi, NC3 at 4.9 secs piloted by Craig Jones from Llantrisant during a South West Championship Little Le Mans series. This record will be unbroken due to magnet rule changes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The question was in two parts. Box standard and then tips on mods?

Just got in from dads n lads nite at Phoenix. Super GT ionite so I was able to witness a fairly new racer and his young son finish top and runner up overall using....Fly porsche GT1 (box standard). srapaul was up there too with same car. Daz, the`Iceman` came way down with his Viper despite being one of the most experienced drivers, he`s bloody good, but couldn`t keep up. In between were a mix of Scalex lola,Ninco BMW and my lad ran an old scalex Porsche 926 with a PS6001 mag refitted (car cost £1 swapmeet).

In modifying a car too much does it realy retain any semblance of the original? Body shell apart it`s not really that car anymore is it? In which case what is the point ? You may as well just pick up a chassis and a body from a swap meet for pennies (or Sean does a good deal) and fit parts as required. This would save you a fair bit too!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts