SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing all the comments recently on the site i would like a little!! advice being an ex racer from the last century and having bought some Carrera track ( enough to build a circuit similar to Brands Hatch Indy ) which i run through a battery charger and Parma 15 ohm controllers to run my old metal chassis cars on, i have now decided to go modern?, i have raided the piggy bank and found £60 the wife missed so i thought a night out with the missus or a brand new shiny slot car, you know what won.
I have selected the following which i like so which one gentleman will suit my circuit and possibly go on a club circuit which has the same track, Avant Gulf Mirage, Avant Porsche Spyder, Sideways Dallara, Scaleauto Radical, Slot it Ford GT40, or if i can stretch and the wife's not looking a N.S.R Porsche 917 which is the dearest by quite a bit but is it the best on price alone awaiting replies with interest Keith.

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
Do you plan on upgrading the cars, and if so to what extent ?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Savage i had hoped that something out of the box would do but i get a feeling my £60 is about to be stretched, i note there are faster motors which fit straight in and i expect alloy wheels and better tyres may be needed especially if i go club racing again all suggestions are helpful, it is now looking N.S.R prices at least, i might be able to find a few white fivers in the vault cheers Keith.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Mate,
take the wife out earn a few extra brownie points then get a better controller 15ohms is to much for a home track
Find a club and plan what cars to buy then you can spend the extra brownie points wisely and with experience.
Zen

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
Well the Carrera track throws me a litlle because I don't know what tyres work best on that and how much a "magnetic leak" motor would have an effect.
If you plan to club race, I would imagine the 917 and GT40 would be a different class to the rest.

I dont have a NSR 917, to compare, I do have a Slot.It GT40 and I can tell you out of the box its a great runner. For club racing it would depend on your motor rules etc as to if the motors in either would need to upgraded. Both of those come with tyres that should be pretty decent, but I suspect you will have a preffered tyre for the track, the club members should be able to advise on that.

Outright pace, the Scaleauto radical is a class act with upgrades .... but we are talking quite a lot. My Radical has set me back over £100 in race trim including the car ! but it and the identical spec one I built for another club member are leading our Open GT/ LMP championship by some way.

To keep prices grounded, find out what classes and rules you have, If there is something suitable for the GT40, then I would say that would give you the most bang for buck IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Any kind of magnet effect is lessened on Carrera track. It's built that way. Look at Carrera's literature and they talk about having room to drift 1/32 scale cars in the corners on 1/24 scale track - an admirable philosphy!

I'm guessing from the sounds of things that you're going to be running mostly at home and mostly on your own. That means you can please yourself on car choice, but if it were me I'd be heading for the Slot.It GT40 or the NSR 917 on looks and performance. If you get to enjoy the cars at home on Carrera track you'll be able to run competitively with them at a club - all the more so if they also run Carrera track.

As on most surfaces the NSR will be a hair quicker out of the box than the Slot.It, but you can usually tweak a Slot.It to a comparable pace. No amount of tweaking can compensate for a car that you're confident with, though. Carrera track is less abrasive than Ninco or SCX and might need a set of softer boots than standard, other than that just enjoy what that £60 can bring - and don't forget to shop around or make use of SlotForum discounts where applicable. You should still be able to take yourself and the Missus out for a pie and a pint on the change!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Zen i am afraird the only brownie points i get from the boss is longevity being married for 47 years, in the box there are a couple of Carrera controllers are these any good or do i need something like Parma in the 25-45 ohm range thinking of club racing later, Savage thanks mate the club i was thinking of visiting does not use magnets does that change your opinion, and driver 8 i can drift my old cars on the Carrera track what's the position with magnets i have found with the 15ohm rapid coming off at the corners, i am guessing the Slot it looks to be the way to go as starters by the comments received, i don't want the missues to get ideas above her station ( good job she's out) a pie and a pint!! and here's me thinking of a bag of chips and investing the rest in some tyres always open to all suggestions ( re slot cars) Ta Keith.

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
Even without magnets you will get some effect due to some motors. I understand carrera is less magnetic than the likes of scalextric, but there will be a certain amount.
Of the cars you listed the avant slots will have the biggest motor magnet effect.

I don't know how they are on Carrera, but I have never been impressed with their wood track performance in comparison to others.

The GT40 is a good bet. From the slot it website it has the same tyres as the chaparral, which are "C1" compound, they should hook up pretty well, plenty good enough for home use
. like I say the guys at the club should be able to advise on the best tyre for the club track.

If you get serious with club racing, a decent electronic controller is a wise outlay, for now just play with what you have and see how it goes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.