SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after returning to the hobby after years away i am getting ready to start buying cars,i dont want to be paying a fortune just for a name but i dont mind paying for qauality.with so many manufacturers out there what are the best cars and what is not worth buying,or am i better building my own chassis?if so where can i buy a decent selection of shells,wheels,etc?
thanks martin.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
What sort of cars do you like and what is your budget, how much fiddling do you want to do or do you want a car that runs great out of the box, how reliable do the cars need to be and how much are you going to use them?

Also how important are looks and scale to you, and are you going to be using them at home or club racing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 19 Jun 2012, 10:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What sort of cars do you like and what is your budget, how much fiddling do you want to do or do you want a car that runs great out of the box, how reliable do the cars need to be and how much are you going to use them?

Also how important are looks and scale to you, and are you going to be using them at home or club racing?
i like touring cars,dtm,le mans,gt,nascar,road cars.i can plan my budget when i find out whats what.i dont mind having to tune cars to make them go better,tho my son would probably prefer a car which is good right out of the box,they will get a fair bit of use im not buying to decorate a shelf.i do like a good looking car but i am really good at electronics, painting weathering and scratch building so if looks are not that great i can soon change that.i will be using them at home at the moment but in the near future will be going to a local club.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Martin,

Slot.it produce very good Sports cars for home and club racing. In the standard inline format, they are reasonably fast and very good fun. However if you want to go to a club and be competitive, they will be a second a lap slower than the top guys. To be competitive, take a look at the Slot.it RAW cars, very good out of the box club cars. They run in anglewinder guise, and are very fast. To extract the most performance from the RAW cars, I replaced the 0.5mm offsett anglewinder motor pod, with the 1mm offsett anglewinder motor pod, and used an NSR 21.4k motor. Then look at changing the wheel to the 'Air' wheel 15.8x10, and use the 20x10mm F15 tyres. I was advised this by a Slot.it Challenege front runner, and it's turned the RAW McLaren that I run from a solid mid-pack car to a race night winner.

Touring Cars-NSR Clio or Punto, or the Spirit 406 are front runners at most clubs.

Thats looking at it from a racers point of view. If you want looks and scale, some Scalextric's are quite good (GT40 and P4 are very nice), Slot.it's too are good (their Toyota 88c is stunning).

Im by no means an expert, but hopefully some of that is usefull,
Regards
Jon

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If you plan to run at a local club, it's important to find out what they run.
Most clubs have quite specific rules about what is allowed.
Usually there are quite a lot of cars that are technically eligible for a particular club class, but are so far off the pace that nobody runs them.
There are so many differences between clubs, by far the best way is to go and visit the club.
Most clubs are very friendly and will give lots of advice on what cars to use etc.

Something else to check out is how similar your home track is to the club track. If the tracks are very different, here might be a difficulty with finding cars to suit both.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Hi Martin
I like the current Carrera GT cars like the C6R, Ferrari 458, BMW M3 etc - I also have a pair of Ferrari 512BB cars that are just a delight to drive.

If you are running on plastic track with a magnet I don't think you can go wrong with Carrera, Scalextric or SCX. I feel slot.it and NSR cars require a big track, they are both great looking and running cars however. Personally I like Ninco cars I run on a board track no magnets and I find them quite tuneable, they are more expensive than Carrera Scalextric etc however I have never paid RRP for one and now have quite a few in my collection. For the Nascars SCX and Scalextric are good topslotsntrains has a special on SCX Nascars for 16 pnds + postage - good deal for that sort of money.

As for club cars - find out what they are running, some clubs have particular classes they run based on brands etc. and different tuning rules.

cheers
David

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Hi Martin,

You said you will be going to a club locally in the near future.

In which case it is probably a good idea to visit the club now (most offer a free first session) to see what they are running now and ask what they are likely to be running next year. You will at least then know what budget to allocate to the classes you fancy entering at the club.

With club racing you need to worry about being competitive with whatever everybody else is buying and doing to their cars within the rules for that class.

For home racing it doesn't have to be about out and out performance - if you relish the thought of close racing then simply get cars you fancy from the same range. A pair of Carrera DTMs will perform similarly, a pair of SCX DTMs will be closely matched, but try a Carrera DTM against an SCX DTM and you risk a mismatch.

If you go digital and use software that allows fine tuning of power levels, throttle curves and fuel burn then you can race what you like and simply adjust a more powerful car down to match its opponent(s) better.

At home, you set the rules so your choice of vehicles is down to what you fancy.

I guess you need to define what you mean by "best". If you mean "Fastest" then yes you can pay over the odds. NSR seem to be the weapon of choice BUT they are expensive and rarely discounted by much because demand is enough not to warrant dealers giving discounts. Avant Slot are relatively cheap and as they beat NSR at the recent annual battle of the manufacturers at the Gaydon festival they might be a better bet on a multi-lane analogue Ninco track. Avant Slot and Slot.It are easy to find reasonably priced at dealers and on the 'bay - often for the same price as a standard Scalextric car.

It also depends on your driving style and what you enjoy. I have Slot.Its but I don't have as big a grin on my face as when I drive my ancient restored magless Scalextric Porsche 935 from the 80's. Transit vans are always a laugh and are way better received than the Scalextric F430s that I have based them on.

This probably doesn't help you that much - more questions than answers. Matched cars work best for exciting racing - at home you decide what it is that you are matching, at the club the class decides what your car has to match up to.

Have fun with your research!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 19 Jun 2012, 10:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slot.it produce very good Sports cars for home and club racing. ................
I'm sure Jon has given good advice for HIS local club.
The club near Martin may be completely different.
They may not allow Slot.it (or NSR) cars.
They may run quicker cars against which Slot.it and NSR cars would be hopelessly uncompetitive.
No substitute for asking the club where you will be racing.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If you're going club racing then if you want to be competitive you'll end up with whatever everyone else is running.

For home use the newer sidewinder Scalextric cars with the round guide seem to be pretty good (though the braid material is poor), SCX cars handle well but the motors are slow compared with Scalextric and Carrera look nice but the bodies are heavy.

Avant Slots are good but IME (I've got 2 Opel Mantas and a Kremer Porsche) the back axle isn't reliable as the gear tends to move by itself and needs a little help to stay in place. The Porsche is to quick for a home track, as are the 2 Slot Its I've got and the NSR 917.

Ninco make good cars, but they are overpriced, for similar money you can get Slot It and Avant Slot cars, but Nincos frequently come up on EBay for sensible money.

As has been said already, at home try to race like with like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you everybody for all the info i really appreciate it.maybe i will be able to keep up with my 8 year old son now.
regards martin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts