Slot Cars Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to open up a discussion on what classes we should be running.

We are starting the club (first official meeting 13th June 7pm) using my Amman Valley Raceway track. Although this will be our "club track" for a couple of months we should ignore it for the purposes of this debate and decide what sort of classes and races we want to run on our club tracks.

James started to have his CNC router built then realised the supplier had started building a 7'9" bed and not the 8' bed he ordered! They got short shrift and had to take it away and there is a delay of a couple of months while they deliver and build what he actually ordered and paid for!!!

Our club tracks are likely to be as follows:
1) a huge NASCAR oval (well more a rectangle with large radius corners).
2) a GT raceway with about 3/4 of the NASCAR oval but with some challenging twisty bits instead of one of the long straights
3) a rallycross track - more twisty than the GT raceway with some different racing surfaces
4) another rallycross track with a different configuration to add variety

All of the above will use the same start/finish section with a 3 lane start/finish straight and a double lane pits. they will all have 3 lanes throughout with embedded scalextric lane changers and copper taped routed slots.

We will also have some rally tracks - some on Scalextric classic track and some routed.

As an aside: we are going to acquire some club cars for the kids club and these will be GTs and the Scaley Start Endurance cars.

At our inaugural meeting we decided that, as most members/potential members have Scalextric Super Resistant GTs (with a handful of high detail GTs), we will run GTs as a definite. So that means Scalextric F430's, GT-R's, 997's, XKR's and Gallardos. I think that covers it. Stock motors, SSD chips and guides. Everything else as free choice. Stock motors because we are running SSD and there is a limit on available power and what the Scaley chips will handle. Stock guides because deep wooden track guides will rip the sensors out of the track and kill the racing.

We also decided at that meeting that we would use the SlotRallyGB classes for our rally tracks. These will be analogue and wired with the standard 3 pin socket.

This just leaves what you want to do with the NASCAR and Rallycross tracks.

Suggestions please

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Great work Mr Modifier!

I'm not that bothered what class to be honest, I have most Scaley cars and a few Slot.it and will happily join in with whatever.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are we going to use just scaley parts or are we going to use different one from eg ninco as they fit scaleys? cars:- what about for the over nascar, open weelers and USA V8 and for the rallycross rally cars and raid cars.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the answer!!! That's the point of these discussions - it's the PSCC not the Richard show.

Personally I am happy to restrict as few things as possible. Standard scaley motors, SSD chips and guides more to protect the Amman Valley Raceway than a desire to control!

Once we have a club track then we could decide as a club to go mega power and uprated chips BUT that could be counter-productive on the more twisty tracks. That's for us to decide as a club.

HOWEVER as we have to start somewhere I suggest we keep the cars we race as standard as possible until we get the club tracks.

Once we get club tracks we will need something to race on each track.

I think we should bear in mind that we may scare people away if they have to invest £100 in every car because they have to buy turbo nutter motors, slot.it ssd chips that have been fed steroids, pure moleskin tyres soaked in the sweat from a virgin's left armpit and half a hundredweight of lead to keep the nose down. By all means have one class like that (although I suspect you will be in a class of one or two). But let's have some classes with mass appeal until we can infect a few more with the slot car virus.

So - bearing that in mind...

NASCAR - what shall we race? <my suggestion - american iron from the 60's & 70's - Mustangs, Chargers, Gran Torinos etc.>

Rallycross - what shall we race? <my suggestion - BMW Minis> OR <my suggestion - classic scalextric (anything made before 1990 - I have a book if you need to check)> AND <my suggestion - modern rallycross (anything that has legitimately raced in rallycross - fantasy liveries allowed)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Sorry to butt in

But I would say if you want to upgrade all the bits of the car then start an anolouge club

As it is not needed in Digital.

Digital is not about the speed of the car it is much more than that

Michael

ps and if you do want to upgrade don't use Ninco stuff

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Michael,

Well put.

Joseph is coming from an analogue club so we are weaning him over to the Dark Side gradually
We'll get an 18k mabuchi and a chip in his NSR Porsche before he knows it

I agree - digital is much more about strategy and having fun. I'm no fan of spending my way into the lead - I think the stock club cars are going to be my favourites - nowhere to hide from a driver skill point of view!!!

We will probably have one completely open class (except for guide depth, standard chip and 18k motor).

I am also thinking of having two fastest lap competitions - the first where anything goes running each track in analogue mode on the middle lane and the second where every driver runs a car that I bring (I don't compete obviously) so it could be Porsche 935 on ORIGINAL tyres one week, AutoArt 4WD Lancer another week and Slot.It R390 RAW the next. Competition run on a cumulative total over the year.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
How about running LMPs of any make on the NASCAR and the GT tracks? Again the standard 18k mabuchi, SSD chip and no deep guides. If you have a long can - there are adaptors to allow you to fit the mabuchi.

There are tons of LMPs from all sorts of makers. Some of these cars are very pretty but look quite fragile so gentlemanly conduct will be required when digital racing. Barging people off the track WILL result in a black flag.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think that the LMPs should only be on the GT track and that the NASCAR track should only have NASCAR, Mussle and indy/F1 cars.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know nothing about Indy/F1 cars.

Any suggestions on how to define this as a class?

Bear in mind motor needs to be on a par with the 18k Mabuchi so it doesn't burn the chip - also the cars look really fragile to me so what sort of rules would we need to avoid too many wings littering the track?

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
How do they stand up to digital racing vs the more expensive options?

Perhaps if the members wanted that as a standard I should start moulding nose cones in resin!?!

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I'd suggest start simple and gradually build up if you find performance/fun aren't where you want them to be.
That way anyone who wants to join the fun doesn't need to be a tuning genious and/or spend a fortune up front.

Scalextric Nascar on the oval.

Scaley GT/LMP on the GT track.

Box standard rally cars, SCX, Autoart, whatever, on the rally tracks.

Good luck and have fun.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,278 Posts
Chase cars - either a pair as a pursuit, or one in Crash n Burn format.
If your not sideways enough, you get warned and have two corners to get drifting or you are classed as CnBd at point of original call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.