SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
This is why it is important to keep certain kits in their box as a document of their individual parts.

Blue Green Musical instrument Communication Device Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Don, while this is the only example we have ever seen, the white tie has never been removed, so yes, it is likely a late production model, just before the RTR took over in blue, red and green.
The "regular" Astro kit has of course a silver body and black tires. Note that the odd version has RED tires. And all these tires are soft foam, glued on the wheels and trued on a lathe.
While the rear wheels are the same as on the Manta Ray, the tires are not!
The aluminum front wheels will also be used by Classic on later issues of the "Competition Asp", replacing the magnesium wheels of the original "Asp".

Since it's all sealed, no funny business.

Gas Font Audio equipment Machine Auto part

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Here is another weird colour . I have left the original tyres on . My only gripe with the Astro V, the factory trimmed the bodies way too low , and the securing screws just clear the body . I have a few friends that have Astro V cars , and they have the same problem . The cherry /red car I have , is very hard to see when in full flight, so I never raced it . But it is a nice Thingie .
Zig
Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Floor Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Road surface

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Standard color for a RTR (which would have had narrow red sponge tires) or a spare body kit.
The rear tires are from the earlier version of the kit, so it may have been assembled from a kit and this body fitted at a later date.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
PDL , talking about coloured Classic tyres ... I still have 2 sets of Classic 60s sponge tyres in blister packs. Keeping them just as spares .
Zig
Toy Eyewear Rectangle Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
PDL , I bought this car from Daniel Murai , and you're spot on , he said it came with red sponge tyres , which were shot , and he changed to an earlier pair of rubber compound tyres .
Zig

Reactions: TSRF

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
The new tires you show are of course for much smaller diameter wheels than the ones on the Astro, Stinger or Modified Toronado, the only Classic cars that came with the narrow, soft sponge tires, all mounted over the original Manta Ray rear wheels.
They would be suitable for Asp, Competition Asl, Gamma Ray or Serpent rear wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts