Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is purely me sitting at home with nothing to do and coming up with a stupid question to ask you guys! (and gals) -SO- What do you guys do for a living, where do you work and what do you do for a job?
I will start it off by saying I am a 14 year old student studying for GCSE's a year early (wish i hadn't made the early decision now i come to think about it), Me being able to afford the slot hobby is down to two very kind grandparents for whom i receive pocket money from, a very nice mum who doesn't notice if several slots are added to the Ebay account and being able to get a paid job at my college.
Now i have told you guys hows abouts yourselves?

Doug

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Sounds like you've got it sorted mate!

I get EMA for going to college, so that can't be a bad thing.

If I help Jon out with parties, that'll get me a bit of dosh, otherwise its the 'rents 'pocket money'.

GetSlotted's rewards cheme saves a couple of quid now and then aswell, so that can't be bad.

And don't worry about your GCSE's, you'll be fine

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea the GCSE's should go fine thanks LMP!

Doug

·
Registered
325 Posts
Very similar to you mate, almost 17 and doing 5 A-Levels at college.

Slot cars funded by part time work & EMA, although I'm spending less time on it now-a-days, college work.

James

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
I'm a Psychiatric Nurse having worked in mental health since 1976. I've recently gone part time which gives me more time to work on scratch builds but less money to buy components.

John

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll try and kep this brief (normally I fnd it quite hard).....

Left school with 13 GCSE's and 4 A levels.... had no idea of what I wanted to be. Origionally wanted to be an Architect, or Engineering draughtsman. (We never had computers at school and I learnt with the 2H pencil and set square.)

15 years later, Ive been a catering supervisor on Concorde, and now Im a middle manager for a Consevatory manufacturer, working with Aliminium and Plastics. Ive traveled all over the world and really happy.

Id just like to tell my old careers adviser....

"so what, I never knew what I wanted to be..... you said I'd amount to nothing and you.... yes you said, I'd amount to nothing if I didnt get switched on real soon. Yes, admittedly, I still havent got a clue where I want to be when I "grow up", but at least Im not in the year 2004, wearing a Brown suit that I was wearing 20 years ago....... And you still smoke with all the 6th formers down behind the old school, Ive seen ya...."

My lifes taken a few jumps and turns and have found by grasping oportunitys with both hands, you can go anywhere and do anything. Qualifications stand for very little, except for teaching you that you have to apply your self to get somewhere.

Good luck...

Cools

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am an Inspection Co-ordinator on underwater projects.
I work with ROVs and divers on all types of underwater work, mostly inspection of oil rigs and pipelines. We also do seabed surveys and occasionally we go look at shipwrecks and crashed aircraft.

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 16 Oct 2004, 12:35)Sounds great Sam. I did look into that, burt travelling to warwick everday from would be a bit of a mare.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm quite lucky really, because it is only 10 minutes on my bike..

It's a cracking course too, as our project we are building two Locost's (pretty much the same as a Caterham
)

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I am a manager in social care working with adults with a learning disability as well as some physical needs and mental health issues. I set myself up financially in a commercial career before switching to this field fifteen years ago otherwise I wouldn't be able to indulge my passion for motor racing photography and model-making to the extent I do. I might take a very early retirement or job share to give myself more time for slot cars - I have enough kits, bodyshells, spares and materials to last another 30 years of scratchbuilding!!

David

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
After a degree in Mechanical Engineering I joined Austin Rover in Sales & Marketing, but lucked into a job in the Press Office. From there to Peugeot Talbot, to BMW, to Cosworth and now Toyota where I'm head of the PR dept for the UK.

There probably are better jobs, but I've not found one yet.

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Let's see, got my BA (undergrad degree) in English Literature, Creative Writing, back in 1973.... followed the usual itinerary for the Great American Novel: counterman in the Blue Mouse theater, Pedicab tour guide, shipping and receiving, US Post Office baggage handler, lumberjack (no just kidding...), night proofreader, masseur, journalist... everything except actually writing the novel that is.

Moved to Paris and by chance started doing technical translating and copywriting, mostly in the aerospace industry - it was just like building model planes and reading World War history books again, except I got paid for it! And that's what I'm still doing now, about 20 years later... I work as a salaried employee in a company of which I'm a minority shareholder; probably less money than as a free lance, but less stress too, and enough disposable income to indulge my collecting...
Don

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Okay, Scott, I guess we have to let you have the best of the freebies!

Personally, I probably have one of the strangest stories of career changes.

With no university, I entered the world of computers through the back door, starting as a computer operator on a dinosaur mainframe unit back in the early 70's. I taught myself programming, and landed a job as such within the same company. Moving on to a different company, I rose to the position of Information Coordinator (basically a systems analyst with supervisor responsibilities) for a major Canadian retail chain.

But after 18 years with the company, and on 24-hour call for several years, I decided that life must be more than endless stress and phone calls in the middle of the night. So I walked in one day and quit. Spent a few years doing freelance system design and programming on PCs, but when corporations began to pull contract work back in-house, jobs got scarce.

One of my clients was CN Rail, Canada's largest railway, and the fifth largest in North America. So I landed a job with them in their Intermodal operation just outside Toronto. Started as the resident PC expert, then grabbed the chance to do something totally different and off-the-wall for me. Became a tractor-trailer operator, and then a heavy equipment operator.

Now, I operate a 100-ton mobile crane that handles intermodal containers. I'm a much happier guy than I was ten years ago and make good money, but the bloody thing still has a computer in it - two, actually!

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Whichever won't kill me on insurance. So Yaris?. And I'll have it in april, I'm 17 then. Cheers

To go back on topic, My nan kindly gives me £3 q week which is perfect for paying tuesday race fees.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts