SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you started slot racing in the early 1960’s then you will almost certainly remember the disappointment of owning some Scalextric Formula Juniors. There were a few adequate runners if you were lucky, but most of these cars were slow, unreliable and frequently burnt out their motors…I can still remember the smell vividly! I also clearly remember eventually getting the MRRC Clubman BRM and the delight at the night and day difference.

So what do you do with an old FJ Lotus in the spares box? In my case I was prompted by the discovery of some small but powerful (compared to an FJ motor at least) motors on Ebay which I thought must be good for a future compact build. When I received them I realised they are the perfect size for the FJ body so I set about whittling some aluminium channel I had that fit in the FJ body perfectly. The motor is glued in place with epoxy from the £1shop, the axles have no bearings but run very smoothly in the aluminium and the wheels are a plastic offering from Mitoos.

The motor is all of the claimed 25K RPM I am sure, so it goes and handles surprisingly well. Paint is Halfords Rover metallic BRG....be sure to prepare the body well and use a couple of coats of adhesion enhancer first. All in all a satisfying bit of scratch building from the scrap box.

Mark

·
David Farrow
1,240 Posts
Hi Mark ,very nice, what motor is that and do you have a link

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
Well done Mark, I have a couple of those motors earmarked for just this purpose, to renovate some old FJs.

I clearly forgot to check the dimensions of the bigger black ones. None of these motors cost more than £1.50

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don’t know what happened to my words!🤔

I was commenting that these double-ended motors might be useful for a 4-wheel-drive F1car.

Mike

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pete. These motors are surprisingly powerful and have reasonable brakes, even geared 9:24. I had to use a small contrate to fit in the FJ body.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If you started slot racing in the early 1960’s then you will almost certainly remember the disappointment of owning some Scalextric Formula Juniors. There were a few adequate runners if you were lucky, but most of these cars were slow, unreliable and frequently burnt out their motors…I can still remember the smell vividly! I also clearly remember eventually getting the MRRC Clubman BRM and the delight at the night and day difference.

So what do you do with an old FJ Lotus in the spares box? In my case I was prompted by the discovery of some small but powerful (compared to an FJ motor at least) motors on Ebay which I thought must be good for a future compact build. When I received them I realised they are the perfect size for the FJ body so I set about whittling some aluminium channel I had that fit in the FJ body perfectly. The motor is glued in place with epoxy from the £1shop, the axles have no bearings but run very smoothly in the aluminium and the wheels are a plastic offering from Mitoos.

The motor is all of the claimed 25K RPM I am sure, so it goes and handles surprisingly well. Paint is Halfords Rover metallic BRG....be sure to prepare the body well and use a couple of coats of adhesion enhancer first. All in all a satisfying bit of scratch building from the scrap box.

Mark
View attachment 278502 View attachment 278503 View attachment 278504 View attachment 278505 View attachment 278506 View attachment 278507 View attachment 278508
With replaceable brushes you. Good motor find.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Mark,

Nifty idea with the aluminum chassis. I have seen those types of chassis somewhere on this forum before.

Nice looking car. I bet it's a great runner. (y)

Ken

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just bought some of these motors. How did you connect the wires at the motor ? Are they just soldered on ? Cheers

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Trevor,
Be careful with a soldering iron as the end bell will melt! I found some small replacement screws for glasses arms that fit quite well and soldered the wires to them before installing into the end of the brush holder.
Mark

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hi Trevor,
Be careful with a soldering iron as the end bell will melt! I found some small replacement screws for glasses arms that fit quite well and soldered the wires to them before installing into the end of the brush holder.
Mark
Cheers Mark, useful advice (y)

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
JS chassis do a very good chassis for these cars which use a slimline motor but coud easily altered to suit these Chinese motors, and Colin at RS does a very neat small car chassis which might be worth a look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I always contemplated using a slimline FF motor in one of these, but also always thought it would be too quick.. I have a couple of these Chinese motors on order now as well and will try your aluminium chassis idea! thanks for sharing :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts