SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm doing a uni project on brake discs and specifically those used in formula one.

I've been searching the net but haven't found anything that helpful yet, so I thought I'd ask the experts
. I 'm looking for spec, design, hopefully even blueprints and any other kind of info.

I find it surprising that companies aren't shouting from the roof tops that they provide equipment for F1 cars. The Brembo site is plain useless, but they are Ferrari associated, so what do you expect...

Cheers for any info you have,

Andy

PS. It has to be in on Monday and I haven't started it yet...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Get to work, man!
I got over 39,000 hits on google for "ceramic brake rotor". There's got to be something you can use/learn. I wish I had the net when I was in school.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Tried Google, but there is a difference between a "hit" and a useful website.

I googled "brake disc" + "F1" OR "formula one" and I couldn't find anything remotely relevant on the first couple of pages.

The problem that I find with motorsport is that everyone is so competative that no-one will tell you anything for fear of it getting to their competitors.

All I want is something to do with the manufacturing process, but all I can find is "Our discs are made from one piece of steel" or "Our discs are made of several different composites", but nothing that says anything useful.

I was hoping to find an inside contact at a brake manufacturers or F1 team who could give me some "confidential" info. Oh well...

Andy

PS. "Rotors" are called discs in the real world

·
Registered
265 Posts
Okay, here's a link to a motor forum with some guys who deal in exotic brakes. (possibly some professionals). There is also linkage there to an engineering/materials forum that may take you further to getting in touch with someone who has access to the material you seek.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=99383&page=1

Here's a pretty informative one, too.

http://www.f1mech.co.uk/brakes.htm

Has some manufacturing process stuff, too.

Trudge on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts