SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all mean when you say "I want to run analog, too"? Are you saying you want the ability to run your non-decoder cars (as chipping them all is ridiculous for large collections) even though you give up lane changing? OR are you saying that even though you have "chipped" cars you expect a hankering for running one car per lane so that you don't have to think/work as much (even though you can just avoid clicking the lane-change button)?

Does anyone expect to run the chipped along-side the unchipped simultaneously ?(and, no this is actually not a dumb second question
)

Thanks for the feedback.

-Maltese

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi Maltese
QUOTE (Maltese @ 13 Dec 2004, 19:49)What do you all mean when you say "I want to run analog, too"?Why not make a digital system able to run in analog mode as well?. It's quite trivial seen from a technical point of view, and it would make it much easier to migrate from analog to digital systems.

You could obviously still only run one car per slot, when using the analog mode, but at least you'd be able to run your old cars without any modifications.

There are still a few potential advantages over the traditional approach with a resistor in series with the power supply:
The controller doesn't get warm, because there is very little current running through it.
You are not so sensitive to the current drawn by the motor, because you regulate the voltage instead of the current (not so much fiddeling with matching resistor values to the cars motor and gearing).
You have the possibility to implement programmable throttle response curves, and dynamic braking.

A quick technical description:
The digital mode will reverse slot polarity modulated by the communication signal ... in other words, there's always full power, but with changing polarity.
The analog mode would use the same H-bridge driver hardware, but with PWM modulation instead of polarity reversion. If you turn it on half the time and off the other half of the time, you'll get half power to the track. This way you can put anywhere from 0% to 100% power to the track by software control.

Søren

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far (Yes, I SHOULD be working!). Please keep them coming. I am hoping to figure out whether people will say: "AW! I wish I could race one car per lane like the good ol' days." OR are they saying: "I have not chipped this new car yet, but I would like to see how she runs!"

The two statements above are quite different and speak to the reason why a person would want to run analog once MCPL is available.

Thanks

-Maltese

Please keep 'em coming!

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi Maltese

Just a little comment

QUOTE (Maltese @ 13 Dec 2004, 19:49)<snip> as chipping them all is ridiculous for large collectionsThat's true if the car controllers are expensive

It's a little less ridiculous if they are cheaper

I was hoping that around half the price of the Scalextric controllers would be within reach.

Best regards
Søren

·
Registered
168 Posts
"if the retro converter chip is cheap, theres no reason to not be digital!"

Well, actually, there is; if the controllers won't handle the amount of current my analog vintage cars require. Perhaps there would be a way to use a second, more robust repeater which can convert 5 amps, but would be driven by the signal from the regular (1 amp or less) controller. I wouldn't mind having to build a small PC board for the relatively few cars which needed higher amperage, as long as it could be done. But if I simply CAN'T obtain the necessary current, then using my vintage cars at all would mean that running the track in analog mode would be a definite requirement for me.

Marcus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts