SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to put a question like this:

It intrigues me to read about bodyshells from plastic model kits mounted on on purchased brass chassis being called "scratchbuilds", and I wondered whether I am alone in thinking that a "scratchbuild" is really more than this and should involve some original construction of either the chassis or the body or preferably both?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I agree with you Dennis, I don't think this is scratchbuilding and I would call it kit converting or kitbashing.

I think it still gives the builder a great deal more satisfaction than just buying a RTR and I'm sure that gradually he/she will gradually develop their skills and move onto making their own metal chassis from scratch or by modifying an existing plastic RTR item.

Likewise with the body, starting with simply using a kit bodyshell most people will eventually become more proficient and adventurous and modify the shell in some way either by adding more detail or reshaping to correct errors or to create a variant of the original.

If your question arises because of Pendle's chassis then I congratulate them for offering this as it does provide a great opportunity for people who might not otherwise have had the confidence, to have a go at building a car for the first time and this will help to grow this aspect of the hobby.

David

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Totally agree with both of you. I have made some cars from airfix/mrrc etc bodyshells and or kits, and bodges together chassis made from scalexric or fly chassis. I would call that kit bashing, and have total respect for genuine scratchbuilds.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
What's this about?

Demarcation for demarcation's sake?

Don't most "scratchbuilds" use a proprietory motor or guide or wheels/tyres?

'Tis the season of good will, chaps!

Have a good one!

Mr.M

PS Nuro, perhaps we should have a Kit Bashing section to carry on the "entente cordiale"

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Building from scratch!

Using components, whatever they are, to build up a car. Doesn't matter if you made or brought the componenets, as long as they aren't allready together, you are still starting from scratch.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
There's no argument here Mr M and no ill will, all the posts have been complimentary to each other.

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
I use Scratchbuilding as a generic term to cover all activities concerned with constructing your own model car.
If a car I want to build requires me to build a chassis, (from scratch), I'll build one, if it can use a commercial chassis that doesn't require modification, I will use that., it's all the same to me.

I'm just so pleased that Pendle introduced these new cheap adjustable chassis so that many more people can join in the fun of building their own car. It adds so much more to the hobby than just buying Ready to Run cars.

Scratchbuilders of the world unite!.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Dennis,

A good question and one I thought would be easy for me to answer but after thinking about it a bit more haven't a clue

I was going to say any car that wasn't bought as an RTR could be classed as scratch built but then thought about all the mods I've done to RTR cars (chassis and bodies). Do these mods justify calling it a scratch build? I don't know. Where's the cross over between a 'modified RTR' and 'scratch build'.

So for me its one of those situations where I know when a cars a definite scratch build i.e. handmade chassis and body and one that's RTR, all the stuff in between falls into that grey area that could be termed Modified RTR, Kit building, Kit conversion etc but its all 'Scratch building' to me

PS I don't base it on effort as its taken more work to convert some kits or modify RTR's than it has to make a body from scratch

Merry Christmas.

Marlon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For me I use both terms.... Scratch building and kit bashing.... Most of what I do for my track and the guys I run with is scratch building.... Taking raw material like brass and making up most of the parts for the chassis.... But if you build a cars chassis from Sheet styrene, PC board or even wood it is still in my way of thinking scratch building....

To take a commercial chassis and convert it to a model kit body or even a RTR body is to me Kit bashing....

And both have their place depending on the track and rules....... we are speed freaks at my house and use scratch built chassis with sponge tires and a glued routed track.... And the scratch built chassis rules..... But on the plastic tracks they are poor runners..

this is where the kit bashing cars with magnets rules... I have tried to build a brass chassis with magnet for the other group I run with and it just didn't work.. But the chassis like the Slot it HRS chassis or a light weight PC board chassis or a chassis like Pendle's word work great...

No matter what you call it, building is building and much more fun then just the RTR cars and with doing either you are normally adding better running gear to the chassis....... But as long as you are having fun and learning something new on how to set up a car and get the most out of it...

And Kit bashing and scratch building is the only way you will see some of your favorite cars running around the tracks.... As much as I would like to see all my favorite cars done up but the main manufactures it's not going to happen, so if I can find the body I do it myself.....

Merry Christmas to all.....

Chris

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I think there's so much grey between 100% scratchbuilding (which would include the body as well as chassis) and basic kit bashing that no clear definition can exist. If I scratchbuild a chassis and then slap a stock Fly 512S body on it, is it a scratchbuild or a kit bash? What if I take the Fly chassis and mount a handmade fiberglass body on it? Or do any number of lesser or greater changes?

Doesn't matter to me. I think kit bashers/scratchbuilders all have a common gene that pushes us to create something that otherwise wouldn't exist.
Therein lies the motivation.

Season's Greetings to all "bashers" and "scratchers"!

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
And all this time, I thought that "scratchbuilding" was a term used for building slot cars in a flea-infested environment...

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I thought that "scratchbuilding" was a term used for building slot cars in a flea-infested environment...

They have sprays for that now....
Besides, it was tough aiming the Dremel when one of those suckers chomped down!

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for the opinions - I really did not intend this as a criticism of anyone or of any product or even of any process of combining products. I was just trying to clear up my own thinking, and that has happened now. I like the two terms of "scratchbuilding" and "kitbashing", especially as I do both myself and have enormous respect for those who post thier handiwork on this site.

Have a Merry Christmas, all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts