SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
standard scalextric motors?? It goes between the + and - of the motor terminals? I have heard if u remove this it can add a performance increase?? What are the pros and cons??

Thanks

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The component is used to suppress electrical noise from the car so that it will not interfere with other stuff in the house/neighbourhood. People have claimed that it is required for EFC european electrical emmisions rules, however Fly cars are for sale without the capacitor (maybe they argued they are shelf queens and not intended for racing? don't know)

Some people claim that it can reduce performance and so snip it out. I am skeptical that there would be a performance increase - in fact there is an arguement that it would increase performance (it also filters electricity going into the motor, and cleaner electricity can only be good!)

However - if the capacitor should fail, then that can cause problems, so that is a good reason to discard it.

you must weigh up the consequences - wife complianing about interference during coronation street vs car dying during a critical club race!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Interference suppressors are a legal requirement and removing them is illegal.
However, the chances of getting nicked are pretty small!
Fly may well find themselves in bother one day.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
my understanding of capacitors is that removing them increases revs but decreases torque i dont know why, i believe it is due to the filtering, i leave them on as if they are designed with them they should have some purpose rite?

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Cut em off if you want it wont make you go any faster ,might interfere with the clubs lap counters due to arcing brushes .We had this problem at pendle due to unsuppresed cars dirty braids sparking and arcing etc I stopped it by fitting the same cap at 10ft intervals around the track on each lane , weve had 2 fail in about 8 yrs and weve enough amps to weld with so I dont see a major problem with reliability

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
It makes no difference to the performance of the car, despite some saying that it interferes with controller 'braking'.

All it does is stop the guy next door's TV from freaking out and his toaster burning his breakfast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts