SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting back into slot cars after being out of the hobby for the last 5 years. I've always enjoyed the fine detail and prototype (full size) correct drivetrain configuration (if the real car has front engine/rear drive, so did the Fly car) of the Fly cars. Now that I'm back into the hobby, it seems as though they've all but disappeared.

I have seen where Scalextric USA has a section for "Product Remaining" of Fly cars and I did see one online store out of Lancashire, UK that had quite a few Fly cars including the Buggyra, M.A.N., SISU, and Mercedes-Benz trucks (I enjoyed those too, not fast, but a blast to drive). However, I don't see anything resembling a company website for Fly.

Another thing I'm seeing is that Scalextric cars are getting more detailed (up to Fly levels) during my absence, but most, if not all, that I have seen still have the standard sidewinder configuration of Scalextric cars.

On to the question. Does anyone know what happened to Fly and if they're still going to be making cars in the present or near future? Have they been bought out by another company (maybe Scalextric and they decided to kill the Fly line and use the detail technology on their own cars?)? Or is there some other explanation for the lack of info on Fly?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Fly's still going, just slightly different. Under the name Flyslot.

Production's been moved to China for a start. And now there are several strata of Flyslot models.

You can still get re-releases of the old high detail models - including the trucks. New liveries come up fairly regularly.

There's now the Alpha range which trades the old attention to detail and multiple motor positions for a simple chassis, inline motor and reduced interior. These are significantly less expensive but to my mind offer the best combination of looks, performance and best of all an absence of the old mechanical frailty.

The Alpha range is being expanded from the initial rally offering (Abarth Grande Punto) to include classics such as the Porsche 917K and Ferrari 512CL.

Between the old Fly models still available and the current Flyslot range there are at least 17 different collections and formats.

Pendle Slot Racing in the UK has www.flymodelcars.com but I find Electric Dreams in the USA has an extensive range too.

Your Fly drought needn't go on much longer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

For me, the best parts of the Fly cars were the high detail and the realistic drivetrains, it mad for some interesting driving cars. I never had an issue with the Fly drivetrains being weak.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts