SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know, I like all slot cars with "complications". Saw this 4WD model not that long ago and was of course interested... but then I took a closer look at the front-end gear...

Gas Machine Auto part Cylinder Engineering

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part Wheel

Gas Machine Nickel Metal Auto part

Yes, the motor in the front drives the guide flag! ... which obviously can't rotate. So what was the guy thinking? Initial concept car for a steering system? A very odd dynamic braking system? or just parking his gear on a convenient post until he could put it on the axle?

This question will be on the final exam in your Slotology 101 class.

Professor Don

· Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No connection between the two motors. The gear is solidly attached to the guide flag, which rotates normally.

Nobody passes, including the teacher!

Good try Colin, but you tried to apply logic to a case that seems strikingly free of it...

Don

· Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, I have to admit, your guess is as good as mine.

Couldn't be a damper for the guide, because there's no self-centering action and it would leave the guide cocked over every time the car came out.

I suspect it was just a temporary setup by somebody considering a 4WD, who put the gear like that while he pondered the whole situation, or... well, who knows?

Don

· Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In a related observation, I've been amazed by the number of old cars I've found where, for instance, one rear wheel has been changed, but not the other...

My working theory is that it was done by a teenager and his hormones hit overnight or even faster, obliging him to drop the slots and cherchez la femme!

Don

· Administrator
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, except that as soon as car turns a quarter turn, the guide butts against the chassis and burns out the motor.

Besides, donuts aren't good for your health.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts