SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Slot Friends,

I'm new to HO racing, and wondering what is a good controller for my AFX track? I have the 4-Way Split set, with about 20' of extra track. I also have the stock power supplies. While I'm here can someone also tell me what I need to connect to the Ultimate Racer, race management system? Or other suggestions on RMS's. Thanks! Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boy, I feel kind of dumb with my most recent post. I made the same post about a year ago, and now I'm finally getting around to setting up my HO track.

I still need help with the RMS hook up though. Need to know how to connect an rms to my AFX, and what I need to make the connection.

Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi

I use Ultimate Racer here. Have you looked on the dedicated UR section on the other slot car forum?

I'm running ir detectors mounted in the track and an ir lightbridge all connected by parallel port to my laptop.

How many lanes are you running?

If it helps, I can try and put up some pics of my setup later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Diesel,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the other forum. But yea if the photos are not too much trouble that would be great. I know I'm unable to upload photos on this site since I haven't upgraded my membership. I have 4 lanes. I assume you're connecting through your usb port on the your laptop?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I actually have an old laptop with a parallel port. I think a lot of people with newer laptops get usb to parallel port adapters. Alternatively just try and pick up an old laptop. It doesn't have to be anything special.

From parallel port I go to cat5 ethernet cable with an RJ45 plug. The tracks have small holes drilled between slot and rail for each lane and IR detectors mounted underneath. Again this goes to an RJ45 plug. This way I can use a couple of RJ45 connector blocks and whatever length patch cable in between depending where the start line and laptop are.

I'm only running two lane so I run a power supply at the laptop end which uses the spare wires in the the cat5 cable for the power to the ir leds on the light bridge. That way I don't have to run addtional power cable all over the place for the lights.

The Scalextric Dunlop bridge is quite a common one used to mount leds on. With two lane I've found Tomy track supports ideal.

Get a multimeter and prepare to spend hours swearing when nothing works! You'll get there in the end though.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (Guam Slot Racer @ 18 May 2011, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Diesel,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the other forum. But yea if the photos are not too much trouble that would be great. I know I'm unable to upload photos on this site since I haven't upgraded my membership. I have 4 lanes. I assume you're connecting through your usb port on the your laptop?

You can upload photos on this site without upgrading. Just upload them into Photobucket and then copy the image link and paste it straight into your post text. Job done!

Looking forward to seeing images of your track. I'm in the process of sorting my own 4 lane. I took some photos of a test layout on Saturday but I have been very slow in getting them up on the site. Soon. Not now. But soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts