SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there,

Here is a quick run down of what I am trying to achieve. I am running oXigen on a Scalextric 4 lane track. I power the track directly with 15 volts.

Everything runs very smooth. It is a fast track with only R3 and R4 curves. To increase the fun I wanted to add 4 Fly Semi trucks as ghost cars.

These trucks will have small trailers as well to slow things down.

In the Ghostcars(trucks) I have a built in a motor regulator which allows me to run 4 trucks slowly without sacrificing any car ID's at a constant pace. The are not chipped, and do not

count laps. The are only there to make the race more interesting (slow driving obsticles) and to force drivers to change lanes to pass.

Since I bought a bag full of oXigen chips I had lots of Scalextric digital chips in "stock". I thought if I power these, and the car goes over the C7036 crossing,

it would reset the crossing so the ghost car would never lane change. Positioned the sensor correctly and look here "Failure" if the crossing

is set to change a lane, the ghost car follows and doesnot reset the C7036 digital crossover!

Does anybody know what is needed to "reset" the Scalextric C7036 digital crossover so the ghost cars always go straight?

I have 18 crossovers so a solution with an IR diode in the Ghostcar would be my preferred solution. I just dont know how to set this up.

If your in Calgary and like Digital Racing drop me a line as well.

Adrian

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Hi Adrian, I had a similar challenge when converting scalextric analog challenger cars to operate on Digital tracks. I wanted them to stay straight at XLCs and to count laps. My solution was to programme up some PIC Microcontrollers... they need access to a 5V supply from inside the car which in turn draws power from the rails and they need a resistor in series with an IR LED to provide the track signal. Please let me know if you want to use this approach...

C

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dr_C,

Thank you for your super speedy reply!

I can solder fairly decently, I have no clue how to program up some PIC Micro-controllers. However if this has worked for you in the past

I am all in. would it be possible to use 15 Volts coming from the track as the voltage solution?

·
Administrator
10,252 Posts
It should just work with a Scalextric chip Adrian. Can you view the LED with a digital camera to ensure it is flashing? Its infrared so you cant see it by eye but digital camera sensors have a broader range than human eyes and can see the LED operating

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
hi Riko, unless I am mistaken a Hornby factory flashed SSD chip doesnt activate the IR strobe when operating in analog mode... maybe an ICP reflashed SSD would be better? I dont have a system set up at present so can't myself confirm either way.... but as you say... it would be easy to check... but remember not all camera chips inside phones are sensitive to IR... so another variable to be aware of :)

C

·
Administrator
10,252 Posts
Of course. it boots in analogue mode so it disables the LED. That might not be so for a chip reprogrammed with In-Car Pro, I will have to check

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I just did a quick check... both standard SSD firmware C8515 rev H and InCarPro firmware C8515 rev H do still strobe the IR LED with a <stay straight> signal when connected to a dc powered track or an analog powered track with the analog throttle pressed. Hence either decoder could be used inside Adrians above ghost cars. The SSD decoder would be connected via ferrite man to the pick-up and motor would be separately powered as per Adrians above scheme. Easier than I thought to achieve <stay straight> for digital chipped cars running on an analog/dc track...

C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts