SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
What do you concider to be scratch building ?
Are a Fujimi plasickit with HRS a scratch build ?
Are a Monogram Nascar with a Plafit Excel Pro scratch building ?

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE What do you concider to be scratch building ?
Are a Fujimi plasickit with HRS a scratch build ?
Are a Monogram Nascar with a Plafit Excel Pro scratch building ?
Most people would call these Kitbashed,where you take a model kit,and put an easily available chassis underneath it.

Scratchbuilding usually refers to actually building the chassis and or body yourself,out of available materials from scratch.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Kai, in a previous thread, here, it seemed that "scratchbuilding" and "kit bashing" were acknowledged as separate terms.

If so, then it seems that putting a Fujimi body on an HRS chassis would be "kit bashing", but putting the same body on a handbuilt chassis would be "scratchbuilding". In other words, the origin of the chassis seems to dictate how people view the two terms.

Personally, I think it gets a bit greyer than that, since one might take an RTR chassis, modify it extensively to fit a kit body, add many new parts, and end up with something that ressembles none of it's origins. Deciding where "kit bashing" turns into "scratchbuilding" is not necessarily a cut-and-dried issue.

Still, I guess the two terms are the best delineation we have.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
to me scratch building means starting from raw materials, the chassis and the body are 2 seperate things, both of which can be scratch built or kit-bashed.

So far I have only attempted kit bashing of either. There have been a few scratch built chassis on the forum, where someone started with a block of balsa and some blueprints. That is scratch building a body to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts