SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Depends on what you want and what you intend to use it for ,The policar versions of the proslot cars are cheap and cheerfull and can be made to go very well once you get every thing straight Ususaly what I do is strip every thing down to components and check for straightness ,the plastic bits I straighten with boiling water,bent axles I replace with drill blanks,dont change motors forr the sake of change as most performance increases are gained from getting the thing to handle .Glue and true the tyres and depending on the track change to a suitable gear ratio, If your rules allow replace interior and windows with light ones ,I usualy add a small amount of lead to the car to help with stability but this is down to personal taste because the heavier the car the slower it will be ,but it may be faster round the track.
I used a set up like this to win last years pendle sports /gt series beating a lot of faster cars.

Graham

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had a nasty accident with boiling water and a slot car, classic mini clubman i tried to get the decals off it left it to soak , came back andthe body was wrecked , it had all folded in to the point where i couldent get the windscreen to fit in...
so i got an old mini body and chassis swapped the parts over to the new chassis and it runs even better than the old one!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got my hands on a sidwinder nascar for £15 and im probbably going to put a slotit v12/2b (25,000rpm) in it with an 11 tooth pinion on it for greater acceleration ( i checked a slot it gear ratios chart) i figure it will go like a rocket round my home track! it goes quite fast already! (it has my track lap record)

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
the v12 2b is a good choice and i have had good results with them on tracks in the uk best by far being beat by my own spare car in the 2003 pendle porsche challenge round well I was ill that day and i do feel 5th out of 40 isnt a bad result anyway and my other car taking 2nd is just icing on the cake.The v12 2b is qite a torquey motor and will pull a rediculously stupid gear ratio I run 13 /36 with no loss of brakes and it is a match for the 29000 v12s on the straights so yo will probably find your set up is good.
Graham

·
Registered
263 Posts
The V12/2b, is that the same motor as the 956? Sounds familiar.............

I've been thinking about modifying the new Lennox Camaro with that motor (25000rpm, balanced?) and a Slot It pro axle and P2 tyres, I haven't decided on gearing yet..............

Do you think the above mentioned will improve performace over stock?
Reason I'm unsure is because the Scaley cars are so well sorted stock.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
The slotit motor is the same as the 956 and is definatly quicker than the stock scaley ,wheter it will lap your circuit quicker is open to debate ,there are many variables but certainly it should be quicker in a straight line.Gearing will depend on the track for straights of 10 ft or less I would look at using 4-1 with this motor for an average UK club circuit with 20 ft straights 3-1 is a better bet,but as I said in my earlier post This is a torquey motor and will pull a higher ratio like 2.76 -1if the car isnt too heavy
Graham

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if u have the 956 then why dont you take the parts off of the chassis of the 956 and try fitting them to the camero temporarily to see how it runs? if its good then re-fit the parts to the 956 and buy a new set of parts... if not don buy the new parts....

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (compound_goose @ 6 Jan 2004, 08:10 PM)if u have the 956 then why dont you take the parts off of the chassis of the 956 and try fitting them to the camero temporarily to see how it runs? if its good then re-fit the parts to the 956 and buy a new set of parts... if not don buy the new parts....
Becasue the 956 is an inline configuration, and the Camaro is a sidewinder.
I've opted for around the 3-1 gear ratio. I figured it was a good comprimise. The main straight would be around 20 ft.
36 tooth spur, and 11 tooth pinion, I will also have a 9 tooth to playwith.
I will report once all the bits are here and the car is going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts