SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
I'm interested to know what experienced digital racers think is the best way to identify cars as they are scooting around twisty tracks.

I'm assuming it's very unlikely that every six car race will have cars conveniently painted predominantly either white, blue, green, yellow, orange or red (the six APB colour differentiators).

I am also assuming that on occasion you will get cars that are quite similar in shape and colour especially in the heat of battle. With really twisty tracks and those with flyovers and trackside accessories that momentarily obscure vision I can imagine it being a problem.

So - what do you guys (and gals) find to be the most effective way of identifying your car as it mixes it with the competition? What works for you?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Given that the cars change lanes, and that most non-F1 cars have prominent numbers on them, the only real concern is that you match your controller colour with any displays showing the same colour (e.g. Pit Lane Game/Pit Pro).

You could put round peel-and-stick dots from the stationary store on the car roof if you need to identify them easily. But that might spoil the appearance.

Alternately, just make sure you have cars that cannot be mixed up! I have bought 2 hi-impact Lambos and 2 hi-impact Ferraris in 4 different colours just so they can be easily identified by the uninitiated.

Cheers!

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping that people will bring their own cars to the track (hoping to get a club going). That way they may drive a little more carefully!!!

I was anticipating a problem if people bring very similar cars - for example the two Evo rally cars from AutoArt are very close - having the same number and colour scheme but being from different years with different driver names.

Even some of the NASCARs are similar (SCX's Reese's and Home Depot being quite close and both SCX and Scalextric doing a camouflage NASCAR from different eras).

I was wondering how clubs cope with this.

I guess if I could find some of these vinyl removable stickers without adhesive (the ones that stick to glass like a tax disk holder) then these might work on a car roof or windscreen. I'll have to try one out.

Thanks for the responses folks.

·
Greg Gaub
15,345 Posts
Well, IROC sets (e.g. the host provides all the cars) can be color-coded, and many hosts try to do just that. But, with driver's own cars, that's not going to happen very often. It's not uncommon for two people to actually have identical cars, unless they made them from kits rather than bought them. In the end, it's simply up to the driver to maintain visual contact with his/her own car and ensure that he is in fact driving the correct one. Even the most experienced and alert drivers can falter and "drive the wrong car" from time to time. It happens, and I consider it part of the culture. You makes your mistakes and you takes your punishments.

The only time you put on removable decals is when you run an analog race with full real-time marshaling. Lane colors/numbers are stuck on the car so that the marshal knows what lane to put it back into. With digital, this doesn't matter, and so it's not needed.

If you are running a series race, where people bring the same cars back many times in a row, then you can encourage temporary identification so that drivers can know which one is their own at the beginning of the race, or other times the race is paused and restarted, where their concentration on their own car is naturally broken.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Like the man says its the drivers issue. Yup it happens. The shout of SH~~ driving the wrong car is not uncommon. Welcome to Digital so many more challenges so little time to find solutions!

Maybe Oxygen and Scorpious should allow you to bring your own pit computor that can say "your car is now on LC 6, fule status, 14 %, laps at current usgage 5, slow 10% to get 8 laps, 7 laps to end of race". Helps you find your car and get extra data! Mind you on my track I'd be on the next lap by the end ofthe message.

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
QUOTE (Porsche Racer @ 4 Oct 2011, 06:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also have a set of color coded "Iroc" cars that I use most often. I still need to make a predominately white colored car to complete the set but the "Mad Butcher" car serves as the white car for now.

Rather than make a predominantly white car - why not unclip the white bezels on your hand controller, PB (and pit lane game if you have it) and spray them black?

Nice pits by the way!

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thought - this time on night racing.

I have a set of 6 AutoArt Shelby Concept Cobras that I am going to use for night racing. Hoping to have track lighting only with no room lights at all. The cars are lit front and rear.

There will obviously be issues with identifying your car - I was thinking of adding low powered LED's on the rear deck between the twin rollover bars or maybe in place of the filler cap which sits on top of the rear left wing.

I have a selection of 3mm LED's that I could use for car identification purposes. I have white, red, green, blue and yellow. I am sure a touch of orange nail varnish (step daughter has no taste) on a white LED would give me the sixth colour. If I put a goldcap capacitor in line with the ID light then it should glow for a few seconds after de-slotting to help the marshal locate the car (unless it's upside down in which case the driver is black flagged for scratching my car
)

What do you think - useful or naff?

·
Greg Gaub
15,345 Posts
If the nail polish doesn't work, put a red and yellow LED right next to each other on the same car for orange. ;-)

I think it's a bit overkill, though. Night driving is supposed to be harder than day driving anyway. Tracking your own car in the low light will be part of the added challenge.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Stagger the starting positions enough so that there is at least a 1/2 straight between rows and then the cars will not necessarily be bunched up.

Or stagger the starts timewise and race against the clock?

Just some random thoughts.

Cheers!

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Ember @ 4 Oct 2011, 21:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Orange nail polish won't work, but a dab of Tamiya Clear Orange paint would. Or you could just buy an orange LED instead.

Yes that would be the obvious solution BUT can't get orange LED's - strange but true. It may be because they look red at low intensity and yellow at high intensity or simply because nobody is listing them on Ebay at the moment.

HOWEVER -CUNNING PLAN - LEGO. They have little round "lights" that are translucent and round. There are red, blue, green, yellow and ORANGE ones - yippee! These should sit nicely on top of an LED. A little Wet and Dry to remove the moulded-in LEGO logo and a little metal polish to bring back the clarity and it's done. Just need to nick some whilst my little boy isn't looking. Does that make me a bad dad? Could I live with the guilt???

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered some printable white vinyl in A4 sheets yesterday. Apparently the vinyl is quite thin. Anyway - I am going to use it to create sign written panels for my 7 transits so even if the vinyl is thicker than hoped it will still sit into the panel recesses at the sides and rear of the vans without looking stupid. Also going to do roof stripes and bonnet flashes. Each sign written panel will be predominantly in one of 6 colours + black (for the spare).

Going to have some fun with spoof sign writing now. Oh yes and for the black van - something a bit special. A SPEED CAMERA VAN !!! Should be funny seeing a speed camera van on a race track. Keeping it as my demo van and spare van because if I put it out to race I will lay money that whoever drives it will not be able to resist stuffing it into a wall at full speed (well wouldn't you???)

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 5 Oct 2011, 23:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes that would be the obvious solution BUT can't get orange LED's - strange but true. It may be because they look red at low intensity and yellow at high intensity or simply because nobody is listing them on Ebay at the moment.
I'd suggest it is simply because no one is listing them on eBay currently, as I have a bunch of orange LEDs in the collection currently. Picked them up when the local electronic store was going out of components. No idea what I'll do with them yet they were snaffled 'in case', but they are most definitely orange.

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ember - that's good to know. I will keep an eye out.

Love your fold-up layout in your bungalow by the way - caught the thread yesterday.

·
6,455 Posts
Ah yes, the never tested fold up table. Not convinced it will ever be folded up. Which is probably a good thing. 'Cos I'm not convinced it would hang together.

Would the problem you're having with colour coding digital cars for racing become less of a problem as your racers become more experienced? I think Billy_Cart runs a class of Scaley Ferraris as an introduction class on his track, although we were thrown into the deep end a little with V8 SuperCars when we visited him. Provided vision is good, following the cars, even in the heat of the moment wasn't a huge problem, but then there were only 3 of us running that day.

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ember,

With more experienced racers - yes - let them keep track of their own cars.

My track is for my use, a future club use AND for occasional public use.

The track will be used at my son's school, free of charge, as a means of raising funds at school fayres. I am also going to hire it out occasionally for birthday parties for kids and adults - it's a way of funding my slot car addiction! So thee will be many times where totally inexperienced racers will be tryin to keep track of my less precious cars!!!

·
6,455 Posts
Surely for such use it's hard to go past a cluster of unbreakable Scaley minis. Plenty of colours and designs to choose from. And the little darlings can't quibble because some one else's car is better than theirs.

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yes absolutely. I have 6 white transits and some large decals to colour code them with stripes and suchlike. The blue one will be signwritten as a spoof aquarium installer and so on. I also have Super Resistant Ferrari F430's in red, blue and silver and Super Resistant Porsche 997's in green blue and yellow (the Feraris and Porsches are very evenly matched as they have almost identical chassis.

So the kids get some robust and colourful cars to play with.

With this thread I was thinking about the adults more. I have 6 AutoArt Shelby Cobras but they are identical. I don't want to respray - too fiddly and there's no way I could match AutoArt's fantastic finish. The Cobras are also lit which means if I do an adult party in the evening there's the option of night racing or at least dusk racing which would guarantee that inexperienced racers would lose track of their car. The coloured LED's along with subtle colour decals on the existing bonnet stripes would make it easier and keep the look of the cars. I would turn down the power to 75% to start with so they don't de-slot at every turn and I am planning track lighting at the hairpins and esses.

I am only aiming to hire out the track say once or twice a month - that would allow me to buy a couple of slot.its and tuning parts every month - heaven.

I am sure most of the hires will be for kids parties and I have the colour coding sorted for that. The more bash proof the cars the better.

I am expecting a few hires for 40th and 50th birthdays - it's an unusual present, harps back to their childhood but with awesome technological advances. The technology is wasted on kids (they take it for granted whereas adults are much more impressed with SSDC etc.). So I am expecting a few late afternoon and evening parties with people I am more willing to risk better cars with. (I may regret that but only time will tell!!!)

I also have 6 SCX NASCARs in very distinctive liveries that I will use for the adults -I might add lights to those and if I can fit the in-car saloon chip to them I will be able to add brake lights and a colour coded LED in the cockpit (which I will frost to make all the windows glow in that colour) that will make the night racing even more awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.