Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ok, as the majority of people here are always on the look out for cars, ever considered that you might have unintentionally missed something rather special?

So I thought I'd ask this question to see if there are any undiscovered gems that people recommend.

What in your opinion is the/or one of the most under rated cars. Cars that in your opinion have been missed by the masses and possibly never got the recognition it so rightly deserved.

Cars that had the looks or handling or a combination, but for some reason still largely ignored.

Any nominations?

Jamie.

P.S. - Mine would be... XR3 (with lights)

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
My recommendation would be the Cartrix BMW Z3.

Largely losing points for people because until recently it only had street liveries, it has just been released in a Race livery from the Auto Tour de France in 1997 (with uprated motor so performance should be even sharper).

It has an amazing track performance (both with and without magnet and or weight), due largely to the great tyres and well balanced body/chassis.
In a test I did for the Enzo review, a test that never got put in the review in the end, it came third in a field of 7, only being beaten by the Enzo itself and the winner of the test by a mile - the Proteus Lambo'.

Against the likes of Listers, Boxters, Callaways and Aston Martins it ate them for breakfast.

Another one would also be by Cartrix, a very little known release that is a real performer due to the uprated motor and even better tyres, is the 'Gamballa' Porsche Boxster. This will still suffer though because again, it is only a street livery.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Jamie, I have a scrap yard of sclaex XR3's...

I think it is the scalex metro.. no seriously now

I would go with swiss but find the cartrix boxster is a bit on the small side.

the cars?
#1) Cartrix Hyundai test car, you wanna be beaten? ok you have it! I got one for £16 you cant go wrong!

#2) Scalex 911 GT3 of recent years. yes we all ahve one but it's put away then brought out and then you think.. hell to think I've been missing out on all this fun!

Inte

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with Intergrali that the newer Scaley Porsche's are under-rated, but I think the ProSlot Porsche's are way under-rated. These things, if you get one with sort of straight wheels, are just about unbeatable in the sports car class when racing with no magnets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have couple of cars, first I agree with you guys the scalextric and proslot porches are underated also the proslot toyota's gt1's!! They are one of the funest cars on my track!! One more to add the new IRL cars, compared to the F1 cars these cars scream down the track and the tire's are the very best!!

Lee

·
Registered
773 Posts
Proslot Porsche GT2 - without mags! And I've to agree with Swiss - the Cartrix-cars are excellent performers! But wait some days - then you'll get the information about the brand new Bichler Renault Spider - a resin-RTR with Aluminium-hubs, SCW1-motor (24'000rpm) - and most of the things you're dreaming about! The test and comparison will be done together with Swiss....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Proslot Porsche 911 GT2 !

Install Slot-It V12/2b motor, rear axle with bearings, 10/34 gearing, SIPA04 wheels and cartrix 1124 tyres. Remove magnet and add 5g weight in front of motor and you will have the most fun car to drive.

This is my opinion
I have never liked the new cars with magnets which hide flaws in the basic construction.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
and Austria joins the cottage industry slot racing fray

It is a great looking Renault Sports car and definately one for review here so keep watching.

It uses USA parts Thomas? I noticed the SCW motor spec'

·
Registered
773 Posts
...yep, the SCW1-motor from Frank / USA - and the SSH-hubs from Germany. This little beauty will become a "must-own" - if you're able to get one

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would also add the Fly Venturi. These cars are very durable, fast out of the box and all around good runners and racers. And they can be had for good prices usually. Here in the US not to many people even know what they are!

·
Registered
37 Posts
my vote would be for the FLY lister's - with a bit of set-up & tinkering
these are absolute missiles

still think the FLY 908/3 is about the best though !

TB

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (58fury @ 14 Oct 2003, 23:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would also add the Fly Venturi. These cars are very durable, fast out of the box and all around good runners and racers. And they can be had for good prices usually. Here in the US not to many people even know what they are!

I agree, my partner owns an old one, and I have spent (and am spending) a lot of money on cars, yet there are not too many which can stay with the Venturi.
I notice too that there is little in the way of mentions or reviews on the Venturi.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It depends what you want, but I really like the Spirit Ferrari 512M's - with a Slot.it spur gear and NSR rear tyres (for Fly Classics). They're quiet, smooth (with the gear changed), nimble and nicely detailed. Also scarily quick (without mag) for a classic Le Mans car.

I also like the Spirit Lola - once the running gear is changed, the tyres replaced and the motor exchanged for one that can cope with its weight. But that's probably too much of a transplant for most...

The Venturi is also a superb candidate for the Slot.it HRS chassis. Then it really flies!!!

Oh - and I wouldn't actually call the 908/3 underrated -- many people here promote it as one sweet performer.

·
Dave Young
869 Posts
QUOTE (thomas @ 14 Oct 2003, 08:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think I've fallen in love..... where and when can I get one

Like others Proslot Porsche GT - but I'm going for a GT3 this time

Slot it all up, red can 21.5k motor in and it flies - no magnets of course...

Now then back to that Renault.... I WANT ONE!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Policar Ferrari 355 - we run a GT 'open' non-magnet class, and most run Proslot Porsche or Policar Ferrari.

Cheap looking, they make an excellent start point for the class, and are competitive from the box (which is so poorly made you might as well throw away).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts