SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff Davis wanted me to post this picture for him. It was built by his friend Roland and represents what may be the only German Rail Car ever built.

The car of course is an Auto Union Type B.

G

·
Hi Dennis,
Thank you,

I really like Auto Unions as they are such beautiful cars. This car has a brass chassis and a most unusual steering system, it was carved from balsa.

I would really like one of the slot car companies to make a model of this car.

Everybody has at least one unusual slot car I thought it might be interesting to see what they are?

RR

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I made this car a good while ago. It's based on the Lancia GP drawings by E E Becker in D J Laidlaw-Dickson's book "Model Car Rail Racing".

This is a true "bitser" made from balsa, scrap packaging, plastercine, nails, pcb and all sorts of "junk" slot bits. It's built as a slot racer rather than rail car with a nylon peg guide cut from a wheel spacer sprue.

It's also suffered a fair amount of battle damage over the years and the front end has been rebuilt with plastic padding and repainted.

I imagine this car would have looked very much at home on the 50's/early 60's club scene.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Dennis,
I had a bit of a warm glow when I saw the Avus Auto Union, I remember as a very young boy in south west London having the Dinky toy version of this car and spending many hours in the school playground with my mates, flicking these things at great speed by thumb across the yard, seeing who could go the farthest. Then after, nursing skinned knuckles and thumbs in maths or english. Probably worth a mint now (in good condition).

On a different note, I have attached a picture of my first Scratch built car. This is a model of a Russian ZIL circa 1960/61. As a young junior slot racer I used to race for a club at Knaphill, near Woking in Surrey. I was always in awe of some of the huge cars some of the guys raced. One in particular, who visited from Reading Club was a guy called Ian Jensen who raced his Dad Sid's masterpieces. Sid had built a balsa Cadillac Fleetwood I think, Bright yellow and huge. I think it had twin Microperms end to end 4wd to power it, but it flew. So my hunt began for something bigger. It wasn't long before the Observers book of cars revealed my next project in the back pages. The ZIL was a diplomats car, much like the Daimlers of the day.

The original was 21 feet long and about two minis wide. Very roughly I hand carved my interpretation of the picture from a bit of deal and proceeded to make a polyfiller mould and then a fibreglass body. Fully painted with driver and screen in place I built a 4wd chassis from two MRRC 5 poles with a 3/4" gap between them! A sheet of lead underneath helped it stay on the Brookland banking we had. It is just over 7 1/2" long with a 4 3/4" wheelbase. As all English baby boomers know, the Observers book of cars was the bible of the day for 1:1 world car models.
I still didn't beat Ian and Sid's Caddy but I had an aweful lot of fun trying. maybe one day I'll restore it just for the shelf.

Wixwacing

G

·
These are most interesting cars and are what rail/slot racing started with, as most of the very early cars had wooden bodies.

RR

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I read this, quickly hit the reply button and... realised it's a tough question to answer.

Picking a 'Favourite Car' is hard enough since it varies and you've got all the different categories, etc, but the most interesting car is not the favourite, not necessarily.

I'm mentally running down the shelves to see if my mind's eye stops anywhere I'd class as interesting. My oldest car comes to mind. It's a Scalextric Datsun 240Z I've had since about 1977. I've had it longest, probably run it most and certainly it has occupied my attention for a long time. Is that a measure of interesting?

Perhaps not, since my newest car - Fly Lola 98 - has also held my attention, albeit while I tried to sort out the axle tramp on other cars by fitting the Lola's super smooth rear drive train.

My most valuable car, the SCX Ligier JS11 that I paid a massive £60 for (about ten years ago), is not so much interesting in itself as much as interesting in what it says about my slot car obsession. That was a serious premium to pay over a new car back then. Don't know what it's worth now, but it's a 'real' blue one. I fretted over buying it and didn't run it until this year. Now I spend more at on a whim at swapmeets. Guess I'm more addicted now.

Mental scan not bringing up much. I'll try defining interesting as a car with a story behind it. Well, I am very fond of the Metro 6R4s and Bastos sponsored racing Rovers because I was motorsport press officer and a young and impressionable chap when I worked there while the real things were in action and on the pages of Autosport. They were the first real motorsport I was close too, but even my rose tinted nostalgia glasses can't overlook the fact that those cars have not benefited from the best slot car modelling treatment. The original Hornby 6R4 is a pretty poor representation of all but the early prototype car and the Team Slot one looks like it's made of butter icing left too long in the summer wedding marquee. The Rover isn't too bad, for its period, but will look laughable next to even the Proslot Alfa 156 never mind the new Fly version.

I know: My first race winner! One problem - I can't remember what that was and it only happen about six months ago. Can't have been very interesting, perhaps because my first win was a case of last man standing.

Still dumbfounded I turned to my step-son, Christian, for help. Being as talkative as any 17 year old boy, you can imagine the response. I don't think it can be classified as an answer as what we call speech was barely involved. Clear annunciation certainly wasn't.

"Dunno." Long pause.

"The Sierra Police car?"

Moving on…

Maybe I need think outside the box. My most interesting slot car might not be on my selves. Perhaps it is the one I'm looking forward to, not yet released. Yeah, this is a good thought. After all, aren't we all filled with keen anticipation only to have our hopes crushed by the reality? (Take a bow, Fly GT40!) So what have I got at the top of my mental wish list right now?

Well, there's the Fly CSL and Daytona, the Slot.It 956 and the Vanquish Lotus 72 for starters. Last month it was the Carrera F1 Ferrari and old NASCARS. Month before that it was, well, something else. Anticipation isn't really the same as most interesting for it is a transient thing, ever hopeful, never realised.

I have to conclude I don't know what my most interesting car is. But this is a most interesting question.

Scott

G

·
Hi Scott,
If Allan or Doug came to your house which slot car would you show them first? This is one way you could answer the question.

If you came to my house I would probably show you a original 50's rail car but what anyone considers is their most interesting car depends so much on the person.

RR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts