SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Scalextric Ford Mirage, It is labelled inside as C15 Mirage Ford and has 'made in the USSR' printed on it also.

I will post a pic this afternoon.

I didn't know Scalextric had cars made in Russia ? in the late 60's and 70's ?

I am sure someone out there can fill me in on thehistory, I would love to know.

Thanks in advance.

Swiss'

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
According to the Roger Gillham book, Scaley reached agreement with a Russian company, Novo, for them to use the moulds for the Mirage & Lamborghini Muira and some track sections for the Iron Curtain market. They weren't supposed to be sold over here due to poorer quality but some were.

John

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
There is a litle bit more to it than that.

As far as I know, and I have never met anyone who has the full story, the Scalextric C15 Mirage and C17 Lamborghini muira were made under licence in the USSR maybe by Novo, but at some time the UK company Novo reimported them to the UK and they were sold in a set, marked Novo of Peterborough. (no where on the set or cars can you find the word Scalextric)

So I am not sure if Novo was a USSR company or a UK one, But they were sold in the UK and the cars are very common.

The Lamborghini is in a washed out yellow colour and the Mirage can be anything form a dark green through to a Khaki colour, I have at least 5 different shades on the shelf! this shows there must have been a few production runs.

I have also seen the Lamborghini in red and blue but these are very rare, there was a rumour of a container load of these and Mirages in different colours being stuck at customs in the UK somewhere, but this could be an urban myth!

There is nothing wrong with the quality, much the same as any Scalextric of the time.

Here is a picture of an an unused set I have in stock

·
Registered
4 Posts
to confirm Phil Smith's rumour ! ! !

"I have also seen the Lamborghini in red and blue but these are very rare, there was a rumour of a container load of these and Mirages in different colours being stuck at customs in the UK somewhere, but this could be an urban myth!"

I met a toy importer several years ago at a trade show, they showed me some lead soldiers from a range they intended to import and distribute from the ussr at the time, probably the late 1980s or early 1990s. Although we weren't interested in the soldiers i said i could find a market for red and blue Lamborghini Muiras, and Yellow, Black and White Ford Mirages, if they could visit Novoexport the next time they were over there. They did and we placed an order for 150-250 pieces of each of 5 items. I believe these were actually produced and were shipped to the UK (Southampton) in a single container which also included the lead soldiers. The soldiers failed trading standards tests because of the lead content in the paint and the entire consignment was refused entry and shipped back ! ! !

My contact tried to persuade Novoexport to send the Lamborghinis and Mirages in a separate shipment but they wouldn't (he tried for about 2 years to do this) and i imagine they eventually sold the items in their home market and the odd ones that turn up are from that production run. His credibility with Novoexport was probably undermined by his inability to persuade Trading Standards and HM Customs to release the shipment of figures.

It would have been a fantastic achievement if it had concluded succesfully, probably would have been as pleasing a deal to put together as the re-issue Bugatti bodyshells deal in 1983 ! - c'est la vie...

Steve Traffic !

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Thanks for the info Steve, but isn't it strange that red and blue Muiras have turned up but none of the different coloured Mirages.
I have a different theory for the existance of the muiras but am still working on the nesseccary information

1 - 6 of 6 Posts