SlotForum banner

WHAT MAKES A GOOD CLUB

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  grobo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heres one to chew over what do you think makes for a succesfull club,
I'd be intrested to hear veiws on this one .

Do you think the size or type of track has any affect on the club ,

Do you think the cars raced is the most important thing

Do you think that race format is the secret

Or do you think none of this matters ,just the closeness of the racing?

Graham

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Graham,

I think that the most important thing is the racing atmosphere. If it is too serious there won´t be any young drivers. Fun is the key word

Second is the distance, third is the track and the last is race format.

The most challenging thing today is... how to get young drivers to your club. We are just a bunch of old lads (middle age is about 38 years).

Is this situation a result of the PLAYSTATION attack

#3 ·
Having only just joined a club (6 weeks ago) the most important thing is atmosphere - it needs to be serious but more importantly fun. If your a newby someone needs to take you under their wings and give you tips to make you competetive - I have to say Wellingborough IMO has it just about right. Serious racing I think is a by-product of any club and is important.

The track is important - challenging but produced close racing. The lap record at W'bor is just over 9.5 second (routed track so car was whomp like). NASCARs roll round in mids 11's. I think its a bit too long because the field is spread about quite alot and someitnmes if you're allping anyhting up to 0.5 seconds slower than someone else you'll never see them over the normal 15 laps race formats. I think a course with a lap record of about 7 seconds would be about right

Tuck

#5 ·
I'd just like to throw another few factors into the ring before commenting.

Premises . . .
with enough space to get guys and their boxes inside as well as the track!
Track has to be erected and dismantled every time?
Heating
Toilets!
Really important stuff.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you can't point to any one thing and say "This is what makes a good club"...

That being said way up on the list would have to be committment on the part of the membership and a willingness by everyone to work for the club's success. Everone wants to have "fun"... Not everyone wants to do the work to make "fun" happen.

I have witnessed when most of the "work" of the club (organizing events, collecting money, publishing newsletters, etc.) fall to just a few people willing to do it. Eventually, when they move away or get burned out... The club dies or goes inactive. Watching this happen can be realy painful. All memebers must be willing to pull together to make things happen.

I think a great example of a club's determination to weather a storm can be seen in the Southend Slot Racing Club in the UK. When their old club president took his track and left, they lost not only the track but a meeting hall as well. Despite this setback of having practically no place to race. they raised money found a location (a storage shed in a wreckers yard) practically rebuilt the building and bought track. Now they have an excellent facility and can be justly proud of their accomplishment... Now the hard work begins...

Greenman62

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree - you can't really point to one thing but if pressed, then for me, it would be:

Good atmosphere and a determination to have fun !

Track can be got used to / adapted etc..

Premises similarily can be got used to but is obviously part of the atmosphere.

Race format - well that can change can't it? I doubt there are many Clubs where the rules are set in stone.

This is a great topic !

#8 ·
Atmosphere gets myvote as well...

Mainly surounding the people and I have to mirror Tuck and say that a mentoring program, for anyone new walking in, would be a bonus.

I think "people" are the best thing about club gatherings. If you can't stand the people then you'll be more likely to stay home. Much like the message boards.. it only takes a small few to "ruffle the feathers" and then you see even long time veterans making a decision to leave for greener pastures.

Keep it fun and help the new folks so that they don't feel left out or so that they don't get too discouraged if at first they don't succeed. Racing at a club can be fun but racing with "friends" offers greater enjoyment for me.

#9 ·
Great topic! Just started to read thru and reply and realised I gotta go run Phoenix Dads `n` Lads race nite. Will check back later and wait until I can reply properly. Phoenix now has over 200 members and it`s well busy. Anyone can (and they do!) walk in be greeted by a friendly informative racer and be guiven a club car and parma controller and be up at least practising within minutes. No rivet counting, Zero tolerance to bad behaviour and a sound nite in a warm friendly and above all humourous but competitive atmosphere can be enjoyed by all. at he end of the day (it gets dark!) we are playing with toy cars guys!!!

#11 ·
I would like to add good people make a club!! You need guys that want to have fun and help out the newer guys. This is one thing in 1/24 scale racing you do not have!! Everything is is such a secret, I feel good racing is when everybody is even which makes for good racing!!

Lee

#13 ·
DOH!!!
NO NO NO.......I live just south of Aberdeen....to me the answer is "MEMBERS".
I have tried scoping for interested parties looking to start a club up in the NE of Scotland...not a cheep.
If you have a club.....get involved...take ownership and enjoy.
You are a lucky bugger.
Graeme (wonewee....I'm so wonewee....etc)
Graeme

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.