SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

My first posting here on SlotForum, Ive been lurking for a few weeks reading the various threads and picking up inspiration for both track and car builds.

Anyway, a few of my mates and I meet every week or so for a race night, and this has got quite popular, with the garage were we setup the track nearly at bursting point with bodies and it has got to the stage were we are having to turn away racers! Now although the competition isn't the strongest, it seems as though a few of the members are starting to take this seriously, and their results are constantly improving, as they invest in a few new cars and buy their own controllers.

So, I feel now it is time that we take the plunge and build a permanent track, and setup a club. A possible location is owned by my brother, who has a large unit, just round the corner. The unit was originally two, and he rents both, using one for work and the other for storage. The storage side has recently become vacant, after he went through a 'decluttering' phase, perfect for a small start up club.

Now, the main question is this. What do you think, in your opinion makes a good club room? What special features make your local club, well, special? Not the track really, or the people, as these are the obvious ones!

Over to you!
Chris

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chris:

The primary features that MUST be present for a successful club room are clean bathroom(s), space for pit tables (places for guys/gals to work on their cars when not racing), sufficient lighting, and sufficient space around the track for easy marshalling. Adequate parking helps, as does easy entrance/exit.

Apart from that, as you say, track and people are paramount.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
IMO the hardest thing any club has to do is find an affordable room, so the ideal one is one that is free, apart from that you need a track, anything else is a luxury.

·
Ian
99 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 20 Jul 2011, 08:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>IMO the hardest thing any club has to do is find an affordable room, so the ideal one is one that is free, apart from that you need a track, anything else is a luxury.

I couldn't agree more, as long you attract the right people, anything other than the track, is a bonus.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
QUOTE (bleep @ 20 Jul 2011, 10:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I couldn't agree more, as long you attract the right people, anything other than the track, is a bonus.
So cars, controllers, lights and electricity are all bonuses then?

It's good to be back.

·
Ian
99 Posts
SSD you've not been to our club

Don't get me wrong its a great club because of the people, we bring our own cars and controllers, I must admit we do have electricity and cold running water if it's not the middle of winter as the pipes freeze! One of the members bought the timing system himself. But you'd be hard pushed to find a more committed bunch of racers we really are a great Team.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
QUOTE electricity are all bonuses then?

Yeah at our club we need to make sure we have a spare marshal to pedal the machine that produces the power for the track. We wear miners helmets to see.

I tell you when we get the strap motors out the poor guy has to pedal like crazy.

......I jest of course...sorry!

Our club is not that salubrious I dont mind saying. ?Having seen some other venues recently on the Slot It challenge tour, there are some cracking set ups.

But we have a cheap room that we can afford. A posh new unit would be out of our league - but when you're stood on the podium watching for those lights to go out it doesnt matter what the room you're in is like.

If you have enough decent chaps or lasses to race against - that enjoy a bit of banter, it all falls into place.

·
Lee Beswick
1,217 Posts
QUOTE (bleep @ 20 Jul 2011, 16:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But you'd be hard pushed to find a more committed bunch of racers we really are a great Team.

Ahhhhh shucks Ian....you say the nicest things!!!

Fair point from Jim...you'd be hard pushed to find a more squalid race room than ours, but we turn up every week and have a great time, with a really good standard of racing. So I don't think the venue is that important, obviously you need the loo and somewhere to prep the cars, but that's about it really...make the track and atmosphere good and they will come!

And for me, not only has the club been good racing, but it's given me a bunch of new mates

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Track and members are the most important

I would suggest, facilities such as toilet, fridge, tea and coffe come after that.

If you have the space for a table for people to work at then thats even better.

I wish you all the best for the club, I know I've had moments where I have seriously thought about not running mine as it can be hard work and bloody frustrating (fingers crossed that is all behind the club now)

·
Registered
239 Posts
We have a great club, Graeme has made a fantasic job of creating GT Raceway. The fair size industrial unit has a masive 6 lane ninco track with track lights and computerized timer. There are plenty of tables to work on your cars, racks of spare parts and shelves of second hand and brand new cars to buy.
there is also a kitchen with hot plate,microwave, fridges, tea earn and a ketle. the cupboards always has tea coffee and clean cups, there is also a mezzanine area with table and chairs mainly for the 24hr events graeme holds.
The racing atmoshere is added to by having a nissan skyline tuning garage one side of the club and RJM Mototsport the other, the car park is always has loads of race cars in it. The walls of the club are full of motor sport memorabilia, like signed photos, picures and race car parts that Graeme has collected over the years, and of course a bunch of great guys who always make you feel welcome. somebody will always lend you a car or help fix or set up your own cars, there is many years racing experiance between the guys (mostly Vics
).
if you can create a club have as good as the one Graeme did, you will never be short of members.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
QUOTE (vfr750 @ 20 Jul 2011, 18:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A welcoming and supportive attitude to newcomers.

Cheers

John
Can't tell if sarcasm, or truth.

·
David.
1,140 Posts
QUOTE (bleep @ 20 Jul 2011, 19:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the honest truth from John, it doesn't take much a few loan cars, and a great welcome they'll come back next week

Oh, wait, yeah. I thought he was talking about this thread being supportive.

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
QUOTE Can't tell if sarcasm, or truth

If you'd met me you still wouldn't be sure

But this time I meant it. No club can survive without new blood. you'll have seen recently that even the most stalwart member might leave.

Cheers

John

·
David.
1,140 Posts
QUOTE (vfr750 @ 20 Jul 2011, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you'd met me you still wouldn't be sure

But this time I meant it. No club can survive without new blood. you'll have seen recently that even the most stalwart member might leave.

Cheers

John
Yeah, it's a real shame to see him leave, he's too young to metaphorically die.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts