SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Just bought myself a Hornby Standard train controller to use to run in motors while placed on a block/ base.
It states on the box "for use with standard wall plug transformer" but I've tried a few of the transformers I have laying around (C990-C912) left over from old Sclextric set's but no joy.
The transformer came boxed and was discribed on a certain auction site as hardly used. !!!

Have I just blown £6.50, any ideas any one.

Cabbyman

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
do you have output from the transformers you are using and are they DC transformers?, I am sorry to say that the only train controllers I have used were transformers with the direction/power on the top so have no idea about the one you say you have.
Regards
Zen

·
Robb
581 Posts
When you say standard controller, which exact one have you got?

I'm guessing one of the basic ones, which should look like either;
black box, red knob
black/silver box, dial type knob

Or have you got something else?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Robb
I've got this one but I did'nt pay that much for it though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-R965-TRAI...=item4cf9ab2708

Zendragon.
Yes I do have power from the transformers (but I will have to check to see if they are DC transformer, I would assume they are).
These are the 2 transformer's I've tried.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-C990-SCAL...=item4cf9ce1e4a
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Scalextri...=item1c1e9643a4

I used a voltmeter connected to the 2 wire's coming from the controller and got a reading of between 5.17 up to 13.75 when I turned the control knob, then when I connected the same 2 wire's to a car motor it just would not turn the motor over, it just made a humming noise.

You may have noticed by this point that I have next to no knowledge of electrics at all really, wire a plug yes but beyond that no chance.

Again any ideas.
Cabbyman

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
If a motor just sits there humming the most likely reasons are
1 Its being supplied with AC
2 The motor is faulty

Have a closer look at the Hornby control box you have.
A standard symbol for AC looks rather like a capital S on its side.
A standard symbol for DC is a solid horizontal line with a dashed horizontal line underneath.

You'd better check I've read the marking on top of the box correctly, but In the photo it looks like what it's telling you is

Inputs 16 V AC

Outputs { 0 - 12 V DC
. { 16 V AC

It would be worth double checking you are using the 0 - 12 V DC output and not the 16 V AC output

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
What happened to the good old train controllers that were basically transformers with a speed/direction controller on them, does the unit have a mains input supply, or is the lead in the picture the only power in supply, as I said I have no knowledge of that unit, but as 300slr said it does sound as though you have AC output, does the motor turn at all can you turn it and then it spins up or does it just turn when you are doing it, (maybe you have a dead spot on the arm, moving it may allow motor to spin), if these suggestions dont help I would ask the people who supplied it what the output is, by the way did you tell them what you were going to use it for if you did then they might have sent you something that was not suitable for use.

Zen

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (cabbyman @ 6 Sep 2011, 00:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Robb
I've got this one but I did'nt pay that much for it though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-R965-TRAI...=item4cf9ab2708

I used a voltmeter connected to the 2 wire's coming from the controller and got a reading of between 5.17 up to 13.75 when I turned the control knob, then when I connected the same 2 wire's to a car motor it just would not turn the motor over, it just made a humming noise.
Right, thats the old standard black box/red knob controller.
You've got variable DC output on the wires, 16v AC on the terminals.
I think they are 1/4 amp output, and yes, that seems to be the right power supply.

Quite why it's not turning over the motor, I don't know, as you've proved you've got output.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds to me like you are connecting your cars motor to the two screw teminals which are 16vAC output ?

You need to connect your cars motor to the two black wires with the little two pin plug on them - this is the wire that would go to the railway track and is coming out of the right hand side of the controller in the picture you posted.

The silver coloured screw terminals are for powering accessories, like trackside lights, electrically operated points, etc. Do not connect you car to these !

If you are connecting your power supply to either of these you are connecting it up wrong !

There is a small socket on the left hand side as you look at your posted image, this is where the wall transformer should be plugged into.

Also be aware, these newer type controllers use either Transistorised or Pulse Width Modulation technology ( can't remember which at the mo ! ) They are not a variable restistor like the Scaley/Parma hand throttles are. They are easy to blow if connected up wrong, or overloaded.

This may sound like I am teaching some of you to suck eggs, but, might as well make my self clear ! Lol !

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm loving all of this advice I'm getting on here.
I'm going to have another go at it tomorrow, sort out my other "spare" transformers and see what happens.
If all else fails I'm taking it down my club to let this JCS100 guy have a look at it, he seems to know a bit about electrics.

A big thank you to everybody who's come forward with some really good advice/suggestions.
I'll let you all know how it all turns out.
Thanks again.

cabbyman.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Pat,

How has this one stumped you

I have dug my one out of my train set and all you need to do is plug in the standard hornby PSU
that you would have had with your sport base as they all use the same
then the lead comming out of the variable box connect that to the motor terminals

Simples

If you need a photo let me know

Michael

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok ok, this is now getting bloody embarrassing.
Right I've been up in the "DAD DEN" (loft) this morning, sorted out which transformer is which and surprise surprise it now works

I was using the silver screw terminals instead of cutting off the connecting plug from the end of the wire and connecting these wires to the motor.
I did start off using the wrong transformer but I'm now using a C990.
Now I'm sure we can all be adults about this little matter and not mention any more about this on here or at the club this Monday, right.

Any way all is now as it should be so thanks again to all who tried to help me out.

Embarrassed cabbyman.

G

·
QUOTE (cabbyman @ 7 Sep 2011, 15:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now I'm sure we can all be adults about this little matter and not mention any more about this on here or at the club this Monday, right.

Embarrassed cabbyman.

Lokking forward to Monday night even more than usual

Mind you, if we do
in Girona i probably won't go.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh great, does any body else from the club want to put their twopenneth on here or are you all holding fire till Monday.

fw14b.
Thought you would'nt be posting anything on here while you was away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts