SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Hello,

I bought some resin from mbfg.co.uk on their recommendation when I asked them for a resin suitable for casting a "ladder" type slot car chassis.

BIG MISTAKE - the resin is Polytek EasyFlo120 and it's WAY too flexible. It's the sort of resin I could use to make copies of 1:32 figures quite nicely but it's no good for anything needing to be rigid as well as strong.

So the big question is.....

I want to cast a ladder chassis - the longest, thinnest element of which has a cross section of 2mm x 10mm and a span of 25mm. Everything else is thicker and/or shorter.

Any suggestions on a suitably strong and stiff resin? Pot life not an issue (providing it's at least 2 minutes!!!) but I am prepared to wait days for it to cure if I can find the right stuff.

Here's a photo of the plasticard chassis used to make the mould - however I am going to lose the black floorpan and make it an open chassis and make another mould.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Hi, Most hard resins are a little on the brittle side, and 2mm is a bit risky, but try, Axson f16 from Alec Tiranti, and drop a length of 16 or 18 gauge piano wire in the 2mm section before the resin sets to stiffen it. pot life= 2 mins(just), cure time 15mins,cheers steve

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
2 part epoxy resin, and throw a decent dollop of fibre of some kind into it.

- No I haven't made a chassis from this - or anything, but having applied my minute amount of modeling skill in making resin inserts, scenery parts of scale drivers and spectators, I decided to save myself a few hundred quid on plumbers or a new supertub at our rental property by making a silicon mould of the last intact unit outof 4 washing machine super-tub taps - of which replcements cannot be bought as the factory went out of business.

My first 3 part silicon mould, and it worked. I then cast in typical quick set resin and the result didn't really seem strong enough, so I turned to 2 part marine epoxy resin, that is as tough as a mother-in-law's tongue, and added polyester fibres to it.

Result was very rigid, very strong, and not brittle.

Bulletproof taps that make the plastic ones look like junk. [I learned this after dropping one onto concrete and it bounced with a satisfying thud and suffered no ill effect.

Marine resin is thick, but it slowly flows into any small shape....

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reinforcing fibres or wires seem to be the way forward and with a different resin. Thanks gents - time to experiment a bit.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
phew...that was a bit of a bump! did you get anywhere with this one?? mulling over a resin chassis and wondered if it was worth the effort.

·
Bob Chapman
6,955 Posts
There is an automotive 2 part resin used for body work. It is a quart tin, and has fibre mash mixed into it.
I have used it on body shell repairs etc and it works fine, it does however not flow as easily as so e 2 part mixtures.
It can be sanded or filed, and is fairly robust. Over here we call it tiger tail, but aslong as it has the fibre glas mash in it
call it what you will.
Bob

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
in the uk bob , that would be davids isopon p40 glass fibre reinforced bridging filler. having used it in its automotive application...bodging up big holes....(sssshhh , don't tell anyone , it was a loooong time ago!) I'm not entirely sure it would work well into a slim cavity in a mould.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
slightly off subject! its pretty easy to make double side coated copper fr4 1.6mm glass fibre chassis, using 1.5mm ally box section for the axles and motor mounts secured with 2mm countersunk screws from underneath. their immensely strong, lightweight and handle really well. John

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
QUOTE its pretty easy to make double side coated copper fr4 1.6mm glass fibre chassis, using 1.5mm ally box
section for the axles and motor mounts secured with 2mm countersunk screws from
underneath. their immensely strong, lightweight and handle really well.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your chassis John.

I know that's off topic but interesting all the same.

regards
Eric

·
Bob Chapman
6,955 Posts
You may very well be right Gordon, but it is great stuff to get passed the MOT

Bob

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
you're not wrong... gaffa tape and gripfill are wondrous things too..especially by the time they are covered with a liberal coat of stone chip! (so I'm told...
)

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy thread bump Batman

Since the OP in 2012 the 3D printer has become a viable proposition. So now it's more a question of ABS, PLA or Nylon.

·
Electric model car driver
1,504 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 27 Jul 2016, 10:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Holy thread bump Batman

Since the OP in 2012 the 3D printer has become a viable proposition. So now it's more a question of ABS, PLA or Nylon.
Cor blimey, I got that one, hook, line and sinker. Should've read the date on the post. A bit of a curve ball from gordonzz

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 26 Jul 2016, 23:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Holy thread bump Batman

nah...not for me , its not analogue enough!

QUOTE (Wobble @ 27 Jul 2016, 00:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cor blimey, I got that one, hook, line and sinker. Should've read the date on the post. A bit of a curve ball from gordonzz

expect the unexpected bram.

I think it will be a case of having a play and see what I can come up with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.