Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, the powers that fill my bank account have given me a little brucey bonus this month, so after putting 8 tyres on my and her main daily runabouts, I've got a little left over for my SSSD.

I'm after your collective wisdom on what to go for as my first Slot-IT. I've got about 80ft of track with two 15 foot straights and lots of infield. Would something like this Mazda be any cop if I put a slot it chip in?

I'll eventually get the Le Mans winning version (to match two for racing), but it's out of stock most places I look. I hope to pick up one or two XLCs or a wireless controller (when available) as well.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
As has been said, they're all good, get a car that you like, I've got the Ferrari 312PB and the Nissan 390, both are very good, room might be limited in the Ferrari though for a digital chip.

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
I agree. Any slot.it is a good car out of the box, and a great car with a teeny bit of TLC. Alas, not all can be easily chipped, and unless you downgrade the motor, you need the Slot.it chip. Unfortunately, the slot.it chip only fits easily into Group C cars, and some of the Modern LMP cars. It won't fit in any of the Classic cars, or the GT cars like the Ferrari F40. Check the compatibility for the chip to make sure it will take the SISP12 chip. If it says SISP15, don't get it, as that's the smaller chip they haven't released yet.

But, the Mazda, being a Group C car, will take their SSD chip perfectly. Short of the DPR, their chips are the easiest to install. And be careful, they're ROCKETS!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Unless you change the motor that the slot.its come with you will need a slot.it chip the scalex ones WILL blow

Of course you could put a scalex motor in and then their chip will be fine

But the slot.it chip is so easy to fit as it has been made to go in the slot.its Group C cars

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi

if you want a really quick car from Slotit take: the RAW Nissan 390 or McLaren. Both orange colour. Both cars have a anglewinder motor. Both are very much quicker as the Slotit with inline Motors. We drove them at our raceway without magnets. These cars are nearly so quick as the NSR Mosler`s. Mazda: I have them. The Rear spoiler is very very easy broken.
If you want speed and fun take these RAW cars. Our Racetrack Raceway
Use a Slotit SSD Chip. Easy to fit.

best regards Reiner

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an XJR9 Jaguar, C9 Sauber, and the GT40 Mark II and am very happy with all of them. I chipped the Jaguar and Sauber with the SISP12 and it was very easy. I had to chip the GT40 with the Scalextric F1 chip and so far its been running great (about 6 months). I run at 12.5 volts and my track has long straights with mostly R4's and R3's so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues?

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 21 Sep 2011, 09:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree. Any slot.it is a good car out of the box, and a great car with a teeny bit of TLC. Alas, not all can be easily chipped, and unless you downgrade the motor, you need the Slot.it chip. Unfortunately, the slot.it chip only fits easily into Group C cars, and some of the Modern LMP cars. It won't fit in any of the Classic cars, or the GT cars like the Ferrari F40. Check the compatibility for the chip to make sure it will take the SISP12 chip. If it says SISP15, don't get it, as that's the smaller chip they haven't released yet.

But, the Mazda, being a Group C car, will take their SSD chip perfectly. Short of the DPR, their chips are the easiest to install. And be careful, they're ROCKETS!

The Slot.it Chips also fit perfectly in the Racer Sideways Daytona Prototypes which are essentially a Slot.it car. I've done a couple of these and plan to do a few more.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I run Slot it LMP 962's and 956 on Scaley sport. I cut down the blade depth a bit as it can be an issue. I doengraded to scaley motors and chips ( bit of a hasstle but doable, as it is better fors mall tracks (yours is bigger so you may chose to go to slot it chips). The Magnetic suspension is easy to fit and helps the hadeling considerably. You only come off if you make a mistake. My other reason for Scaley chips is I fancy the new upgrade and wireless by the SSD folk. Oxygen/Scorpious is for real fans.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info, many thanks all for taking the time and effort to share your experiences.

Mr Modifier came around the house last night and we ran quite a selection. Certainly food for thought on some other makes and models, but I'm pretty keen on the Mazda (I'm in the MX5 club!) but will definitely look into removing the rear spoiler for day to day use. Track sessions are so much more fun with someone else - didn't bother actually racing, just plonked lots of different cars on the track and enjoyed them all. And being a good sort, Mr M brought a few cans along. It was a good case of "Bass in the attic"

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (snurfen @ 22 Sep 2011, 07:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>will definitely look into removing the rear spoiler for day to day use.
Replace it with the Jag spoiler and you won't have any issues

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
QUOTE (snurfen @ 22 Sep 2011, 07:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great info, many thanks all for taking the time and effort to share your experiences.

Mr Modifier came around the house last night and we ran quite a selection. Certainly food for thought on some other makes and models, but I'm pretty keen on the Mazda (I'm in the MX5 club!) but will definitely look into removing the rear spoiler for day to day use. Track sessions are so much more fun with someone else - didn't bother actually racing, just plonked lots of different cars on the track and enjoyed them all. And being a good sort, Mr M brought a few cans along. It was a good case of "Bass in the attic"

I second the bit about the info.

Thanks for the kind words Snurfen. Think I will have to go for the Nissan 390 or a McLaren F1 then, only way I will keep up with you!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I understand the Slot.It Mclaren F1 Fina is straightforward to chip, I have one ready to install

My question is I have read up about chipping the car, and from what I have gathered the chip is better
installed the other way around, as in back to front, but is this only necessary if you are going to run
magless? The car will only be used at home, so doubt I will be going magless with the car

The other thing I wanted to know is I have Pit Pro setup, and would it be better to have the led right
up nearer the front of the car to pick up the lane changers, if that is the case the chip would be better
installing back to front from what I have seen, the led maybe too far back for the track too pickup, but unsure?

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
I've never had a problem with slot it chips installed as standard, and I run them magless. However, I've designed my layout to ensure cars are straight before they hit a lane changer. The one place that tail happy cars can miss the sensor, it happens just as much with other cars as with slot.its. I would install the chip normally, as directed, and if you ever have any issues that you think are related to sensor positioning, check your layout design first. ;-) And yes, the slot.it chips can have problems on the Pit-Pro. For me, it's the extra sensor, but others it's the tower track sensor.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
I heard that too.

I have just chipped an R390 using the slot.it chip but I removed the LED from the boar, put it on fly leads and installed it right at the front , directly in front of the guide and flush with the bottom of the chassis.

Can't test it until Monday but it does place the LED much closer to the track. If that doesn't work then I have a 5mm 940nm IR LED that will be wired-in instead!

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
I think it was Savage that experimented with replacing the LED on the board with different/bigger ones. I think he found that the 5mm LEDs worked better with Pit Pro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts